Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

$9.99 car rentals between NYC and area airports.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$9.99 car rentals between NYC and area airports.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2024, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I haven't figured out how a rental originating from within the Congestion Relief Zone would be treated; I'm hopeful there wouldn't be a congestion toll driving OUT of the Zone, just one for driving into it.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I haven't figured out how a rental originating from within the Congestion Relief Zone would be treated; I'm hopeful there wouldn't be a congestion toll driving OUT of the Zone, just one for driving into it.
This is what New York Magazine says:

"You will not be tolled for exiting or driving within the boundaries of the zone."

Source:

https://www.curbed.com/article/new-y...questions.html
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
nope, just try booking M1H to EWR on avis.com next Sunday 3-7pm
up to full size $24.18 all in
Did some clicking, offer didn't apply to LGA or JFK on the same dates and times.
Looks like Avis is an EWR special
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I was glad to see the $20 deal is still around. I was trying to figure out a comfortable way to get from midtown to EWR on a Sunday afternoon and remembered the old $9.99 deals. Price is now $20 + $4.18 tax for a full size, no prepay required

Doesn't say anything about free gas, so I imagine I will need to put $1-2 worth of gas in there and present a receipt to avoid the <75 mile gas fee.
Do we end up having to pay for the bridge / tunnel tolls on the way in/out of the city?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Aaron Yim
Do we end up having to pay for the bridge / tunnel tolls on the way in/out of the city?
There are no tolls on the Hudson River crossings when leaving Manhattan; only when entering. If you choose to take the NJ Turnpike to get to EWR, you will have to pay tolls. It is relatively easy to avoid the Turnpike if you take the Holland Tunnel to NJ: you can then take US 1-9 South to the airport.
Old May 6, 2024, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Anyone remember Hertz on Demand?
Old May 7, 2024, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Anyone remember Hertz on Demand?
Yes, we had a couple of cars parked on our coop's property and used it quite a bit (there was a Smart Car with paddle shifters that was like $8/hour sometimes and super fun for a quick trip somewhere that didn't have good subway access). When it died it was replaced with Enterprise Car Share for a while, but then that died, too.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by themicah
that was like $8/hour sometimes and super fun for a quick trip somewhere that didn't have good subway access).
Agreed. I was cleaning up my emails the other day, and saw some receipts of my rental. Mostly smaller cars - e.g. Fiat 500, but I saw an invoice for 3 hours of Malibu rental for $23, and fuel was reimbursed.

Still have the key fob

Oh, looks like it was also called Hertz 24/7 at some point.
Old May 7, 2024, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lol, yes, I used it a few times but never really found it worthwhile. The cars were in bad condition, they were constantly canceling reservations/moving you to a new car, just seemed like a logistical nightmare to manage. And I was always watching the clock, as what I thought would be a 2hr excursion always ended up taking 3-4.

Is ZipCar even still around?
Old May 7, 2024, 7:13 pm

Zipcar still exists but isn't as big as it used to be. There are at least two other carsharing companies operating in NYC: getaround and Truqit (which only does pickup trucks). See locations: https://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/mo...carshare.shtml
Old May 7, 2024, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Early to mid 2010s was the golden era of good and/or cheap transport options. Zipcar, Hertz car share, Uber/Lyft with cheap fares and plentiful promos. At the same time, MTA, SEPTA, and MBTA all peaked in their “modern-era” ridership. I guess the car options won with siphoning away ridership from public transit starting around 2015 while raising prices too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.