Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

$9.99 car rentals between NYC and area airports.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

These deals come and go over time, so I thought that I’d summarize the current offers.

National offers a 12-hour one-way rental between EWR and either Manhattan or Jersey City for $9.99+tax. Gas is not included, but there does not seem to be a cap on mileage. Offer is valid in both directions, but on different days of the week, depending on direction of travel. Details here:

https://www.nationalcar.com/en/car-r...k-one-way.html

Avis and Budget offer a $9.99+tax rate for a 12-hour rental between some Brooklyn locations and LGA/JFK/EWR in either direction: to an airport on Sunday and Monday; from an airport on Thursday and Friday. Rate includes a free, first tank of gas, but free mileage is limited to 150 miles. Excess mileage is 10¢/mile. The Avis Kent Avenue location and the Budget Adams Street location (in the Marriott hotel) participate. The Marriott location is just a 5-minute walk from the Jay Street/Metro Tech subway station, which is served by multiple lines.

I am occasionally seeing the Avis/Budget deal work from the airports to some Manhattan locations, but am not seeing Manhattan to the airports for $9.99 with Avis/Budget.

No special rate code is required for any of these offers, but the Avis/Budget offer seems to be combinable with the AARP discount codes for AARP members, which would provide (minimal) primary third-party liability coverage, a free second driver, and a $5,000 cap on renter responsibility for loss of/damage to the rental car.

I recently took advantage of the Budget offer, from Brooklyn to both LGA and EWR. In each case, the rental cost, after tax, came to $12.08. (Expect somewhat higher taxes/fees if you pick up at an airport, or in Jersey City.)
​​​​​

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 30, 2020 at 11:32 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:30 pm

If one rents a car in Manhattan, how are you supposed to fill the tank? There are no gas stations in Manhattan except maybe a few in Harlem. Do you fill in Queens and return the car about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon short of being full? Maybe you can get it up to 0.4 gallons short of full if you drive economically and also slightly overfill the tank.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A318neo
If one rents a car in Manhattan, how are you supposed to fill the tank? There are no gas stations in Manhattan except maybe a few in Harlem. Do you fill in Queens and return the car about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon short of being full? Maybe you can get it up to 0.4 gallons short of full if you drive economically and also slightly overfill the tank.
If you rent with Avis or Budget at the $9.99 special rate, the first tank of gas is included, so you would not need to buy gas.

If you're talking more generally about returning a regular rental to a Manhattan location, there are certainly gas stations in Long Island City near the Ed Koch/59th Street Bridge. And there are car-rental offices very close to the Manhattan side of that bridge. If coming from NJ, there are gas stations very close to the NJ entrances of the Holland and Lincoln tunnels.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by A318neo
If one rents a car in Manhattan, how are you supposed to fill the tank? There are no gas stations in Manhattan except maybe a few in Harlem.
Not quite; GasBuddy/Google will show there are gas stations in Manhattan outside of Harlem, but yes, they are diminishing in number. I fill up in Fort Lee (GWB), Secaucus (Lincoln) or Jersey City (Holland) when crossing the Hudson and Williamsburg, Greenpoint, or Long Island City for the East River. In all cases, the needle reads "Full" when I return the car to the Hertz by Astor Place and I've never been charged anything extra.

Turning back to the OP's topic, I need to look into this more as there are Avis, Budget, and National locations all within a short walk of our place and it's certainly cheaper than a cab or rideshare.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 11, 2020 at 9:03 am
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm happy to report that the $9.99 one-way deal from Budget at the Brooklyn Marriott to the NYC airports is now bookable through January, 2021.
​​​​​​

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 29, 2020 at 1:17 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
I'm happy to report that the $9.99 one-way deal from Budget at the Brooklyn Marriott to the NYC airports is now bookable through January, 2021. ^
Thanks for posting... this is a much better deal than what I usually use for daily rentals on the NJ side.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Jan 13, 2020 at 10:22 pm
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I use to get the Budget/Avis one way Sun/Mon to EWR and Thur to NYC (from EWR) all year but must return within 6 hrs. If restored to the old option of 12 hrs even better.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Just an update - I do see the Budget/Avis one way NYC to EWR but only for 6 hr period and cost is $20 flat. Good luck.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Just an update - I do see the Budget/Avis one way NYC to EWR but only for 6 hr period and cost is $20 flat. Good luck.
By "NYC," do you mean Manhattan? I'm seeing Brooklyn to EWR this Sunday for $9.99+ from Budget at the Brooklyn Marriott for a 12-hour rental. (It's $8.07+ if you are willing to prepay.)
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.