Wiki Posts
Search

Is 3 hours enough to recheck @ JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Is 3 hours enough to recheck @ JFK?

Hey guys,

Appreciate your help - I searched the forums but found it hard to get to a conclusion.

I am visiting the USA in October. On the way back -

I have a JetBlue flight from the Bahamas (NAS-JFK) that is scheduled to arrive in JFK @ 4.30 PM .
I need to collect baggage+pass customs, then check in to my next Aeroflot flight from JFK-SVO (to Russia) @ 7.20 PM the same day
These are separate tickets unfortunately (a combined ticket was hard to create+costs the earth...).

Also
- I am not a US citizen (I do have an ESTA visa though).
- From SVO I have a connecting flight to TLV, not sure if that's relevant

Do you think 3 hours are sufficient for this? I mean, I won't be leaving the airport, but still...
Is it worth adding some $ and take the next Aeroflot flight from JFK-SVO (5 hours later + forces me to take a long connection in SVO)?
Or will Aeroflot put me on the next flight anyway if I miss it ?
Maybe some other solution?

Many thanks
M
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:56 am

NAS has customs preclearance, so you will arrive at JFK as if you're a domestic passenger. This will help a great deal.

Of course if the NAS-JFK flight is delayed then you will be cutting it close.

I rate this 3-hour connection as low risk. If you do happen to miss the Aeroflot flight you can plead your case to a ticketing agent and they might be able to rebook you for free.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Hey,
Thanks for the response. Can you possibly elaborate regarding "NAS has customs preclearance" ?
Does that mean that when I fly from the USA to the Bahamas and back to the USA it's the same as a domestic flight within the USA?

Thanks again
M
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:42 am

Sure, I can explain. Your flight will still need to pass immigration and customs controls. It just so happens that NAS is an airport where the US operates a pre-departure inspection facility. Thus, you will go through US immigration and customs before you leave Nassau. This allows your flight to land in the US at a domestic gate, which allows you to book a shorter connection than you would normally need after an international flight.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Hey, thanks for clarifying. If I may follow up -

1. The process on arrival is the same right? Get off the plane in JFK, passport control, luggage and re-check in to the next flight?

2. <see below>

Last edited by dstan; Aug 3, 2019 at 2:41 pm Reason: post released from mod queue and edited by moderator for context
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Hey, thanks again.

Just a thought - how does it work on the other direction?
I was planning to fly from VEGAS to NASSAU , and since there is no direct flight - I will have to connect in FLL or ATL for 1-2 hours.
In this case, is it considered that I am leaving the USA? Or as a domestic flight?
Where do customs take place? Is there a pre-clearance here too ? Will I manage with that and a connection?

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
The USA doesn't really do customs on exit. The flight is international but there's no specific exit procedure any different than a domestic flight. The airlines are responsible for noting your exit from the USA to CBP as they are also responsible for verifying your ability to enter the country you are flying to. Rarely there might be CBP agents conducting a short interview as you board the plane, typically asking how much cash your carrying. I've only experienced this once on a flight from EWR to HKG. Otherwise, no immigration and customs control when exiting the USA aboard an international flight.

Landing in NAS, since you are entering another country, you will have to go through Bahamas immigration and customs control.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Hey, thanks.

So basically the issue is when entering USA from NAS.
Since you say I will be going through preclearance in NAS, what will I have to go through when I land in JFK?

And is there any way to speed things up?

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You are not connecting as you have separate tickets and all the implications of that.

You do not have 2 hrs 50 mins to make the transfer you have that LESS the checkin/bagdrop close time as per Aeroflot's policy. I’d say this would be an hour before so you’d have 1 hour 50 maximum.

Aeroflot will almost certainly not just rebook you if you miss your original flight. They would likely charge you a full fare walk up ticket price,

And Jet Blue won’t be responsible either.
ajeleonard likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:50 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by manco
Hey, thanks.

Since you say I will be going through preclearance in NAS, what will I have to go through when I land in JFK?

Thanks
You will land at a gate, you can then walk to your new gate. That's it. If both gates are in the same security area you won't even have to go thru security. Depends on which terminal(s) are involved.

NOT checking bags would be the biggest speed aid. Could be 20 minutes at the carousel, could be 60. Have you checked into shipping your bags to your final destination?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by manco
Hey, thanks.

Thanks
Nothing, as has been stated couple if times, you arrive at JFK as a domestic flight. No different than flying in from LAS to JFK. You go through US immigration and customs at NAS.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
You will arrive at Terminal 5 (JetBlue), walk to the baggage claim, collect your bag, and then walk to the AirTrain where you will take the inter-terminal train to Terminal 1 to check in with Aeroflot, then proceed through TSA security to your Aeroflot gate. If your JetBlue flight is on time you'll be fine. If not, that's what travel insurance is for-- hopefully you have it.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0
You will arrive at Terminal 5 (JetBlue), walk to the baggage claim, collect your bag, and then walk to the AirTrain where you will take the inter-terminal train to Terminal 1 to check in with Aeroflot, then proceed through TSA security to your Aeroflot gate. If your JetBlue flight is on time you'll be fine. If not, that's what travel insurance is for-- hopefully you have it.
There are two trains/tracks, need to stress you take the inter-terminal train that has Terminal 4 as the next stop going in reverse terminal order to get to Terminal 1 in the least amount of time.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The walk from the jetBlue terminal to the train is about 5 minutes. Sort of longish compared to the other terminals. The ride on the Airtrain between terminals is a few minutes. Trains run frequently at that hour. At most, this will add 15 - 20 minutes to your connection.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by davie355
NAS has customs preclearance, so you will arrive at JFK as if you're a domestic passenger. This will help a great deal.

Of course if the NAS-JFK flight is delayed then you will be cutting it close.

I rate this 3-hour connection as low risk. If you do happen to miss the Aeroflot flight you can plead your case to a ticketing agent and they might be able to rebook you for free.
I rate this three-hour transfer (it is not a connection) as high risk. If there is a delay and OP no shows for his onwards flight, that ticket will be cancelled and he will lose both JFK-SVO and the onwards segment to TLV. The chances of SU ignoring its fare rules are close to zero and thus, unless you are on a very expensive flexible ticket, you will wind up having to purchase a new ticket at walk-up fares.

For this reason, I recomend an overnight when transferring between tickets such as this as you bear 100% of the risk and it appears as though you are price sensitive. If the overnight is not workable, I would allow at least 4-5 hours. The amount of time is up to you as it is a risk tolerance matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.