Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 3 hours enough to recheck @ JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
3 hours is plenty for what amounts to a domestic to international connection. (Yes I know it's not technically a connection) One could take this to the extreme and say needs to arrive two days or more before. Generally most airlines other than LCC/ULCC will rebook if passenger shows up late. While not technically a flat tire, it'd fall under the flat tire courtesy.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Bear in mind this is in October. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30 with the peak period from early August through the end of October. I wouldn’t chance this on separate tickets with a super long haul ticket at stake (on a reportedly customer un-friendly airline for rebooking) without at least an overnight buffer purely based on the possibility of weather delays.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
3 hours is plenty for what amounts to a domestic to international connection. (Yes I know it's not technically a connection) One could take this to the extreme and say needs to arrive two days or more before. Generally most airlines other than LCC/ULCC will rebook if passenger shows up late. While not technically a flat tire, it'd fall under the flat tire courtesy.
Have you ever tried to obtain a policy variance of any kind for anything from SU?

The chances that a front line SU agent would vary from his training & instructions are about as large as an upgrade to an assigned F seat on WN.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:45 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

This is very high risk, especially if you are checking a bag. I would be willing to take this risk if I were traveling carry-on only.

How much would it cost to change your Aeroflot ticket? I recently had to change an economy ticket and only paid a very small change fee plus a small difference in fare.

I would have a backup plan in case your JetBlue flight is delayed. Check for delays for the incoming flight and try to rebook your Aeroflot ticket early if you see JetBlue will be delayed.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
I rate this three-hour transfer (it is not a connection) as high risk.
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
This is very high risk, especially if you are checking a bag.
Strongly disagree. The OP has at least a 1 hour buffer on a delay with JetBlue before things get harried. The odds of making the onward flight are spectacularly high. The biggest problem/trouble spot in the process will be the TSA line in T1 at that hour.

And an overnight between separate tickets is a fun theory, but often not practical for economic and scheduling reasons. Suggesting that's the only way to make a trip such as this reasonable ignores the realities of life for most travelers and trips.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
[/left]Strongly disagree. The OP has at least a 1 hour buffer on a delay with JetBlue before things get harried. The odds of making the onward flight are spectacularly high. The biggest problem/trouble spot in the process will be the TSA line in T1 at that hour.

And an overnight between separate tickets is a fun theory, but often not practical for economic and scheduling reasons. Suggesting that's the only way to make a trip such as this reasonable ignores the realities of life for most travelers and trips.
It is people who cannot afford the downside who are in the worst situation. People who do this regularly and are well-resourced simply write off the 1 costly trip against the savings over time.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You and the OP might find this recent thread illuminating:

Aeroflot - missed connection on a through ticket, forced to pay re-booking fee
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
This is very high risk, especially if you are checking a bag. I would be willing to take this risk if I were traveling carry-on only.

How much would it cost to change your Aeroflot ticket? I recently had to change an economy ticket and only paid a very small change fee plus a small difference in fare.

I would have a backup plan in case your JetBlue flight is delayed. Check for delays for the incoming flight and try to rebook your Aeroflot ticket early if you see JetBlue will be delayed.
I can cancel the flight and re-book the next Aeroflot flight that leaves JFK @ 1 AM (meaning 7 hours in JFK) for $200.
The question is if I should do that, or assume they will put me on i anyway (possibly with a fee) if I miss the original one?

Also - The Jetblue flight 422 seems to be pretty stable , although it's timetable will change in October (from 15:30 to 13:24, which is what I ordered).

I also see that Aeroflot/SVO airport is getting more criticism than I thought , which is a little worrying...
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Don’t assume aeroflot will do anything for for you if you miss the earlier flight. Not all airlines operate the same policies such as same day changes that many US airline do unless you have a fully flexible ticket.

what if there are no seats on the later flight if you turn up on the day?.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Dont assume aeroflot will do anything for for you if you miss the earlier flight. Not all airlines operate the same policies such as same day changes that many US airline do unless you have a fully flexible ticket.

I don't know what can realistically be achieved by playing the "what if?" here. Heck, the OP could get stranded in the Bahamas for days i suppose.

The better approach is to call Aeroflot, explain what's going on, and ask for their advice.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:19 am
Suspended

What exactly would one ask?

Q: "Hello, I have a ticket originating at JFK. If I miss the flight, what will happen?"
A: "You have a non-refundable ticket which will be cancelled and valueless."

If, if, if, OP finds the one SU agent at JFK who takes it on himself to violate his employer's rules, the last thing one wants to have in the PNR notes is the above exchange.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by guv1976
You and the OP might find this recent thread illuminating:

Aeroflot - missed connection on a through ticket, forced to pay re-booking fee
Originally Posted by Often1
What exactly would one ask?

Q: "Hello, I have a ticket originating at JFK. If I miss the flight, what will happen?"
A: "You have a non-refundable ticket which will be cancelled and valueless."

If, if, if, OP finds the one SU agent at JFK who takes it on himself to violate his employer's rules, the last thing one wants to have in the PNR notes is the above exchange.
JFK won't have an actual SU employee. JFK isnt SVO in terms of customer service. There's no need to call SU. An agent at JFK will assist.

It's just like LATAM in this sense. Main customer service/SCL (main hub) agents are awful. US agents are wonderful. Never, ever call the main office, or deal with an agent in SCL.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Don’t assume aeroflot will do anything for for you if you miss the earlier flight. Not all airlines operate the same policies such as same day changes that many US airline do unless you have a fully flexible ticket.

OP still needs to provide the fare rules for his ticket as to what happens if he no shows for his flight. If it is a penalty fare for a change, it is likely that the ticket value drops to $0 if the flight is missed. But, nothing is certain and this is one passenger, on one ticket, on one specific fare, sot he details matter.

If the value does drop to $0, the risk tolerance issue seems to be whether it is worth paying $200 now vs. having to purchase a new ticket at walk-up prices later and hoping that an agent will break the rules as well as hoping that there is space. That risk tolerance is personal to OP. and his circumstances.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You are not connecting as you have separate tickets and all the implications of that.

You do not have 2 hrs 50 mins to make the transfer you have that LESS the checkin/bagdrop close time as per Aeroflot's policy. I’d say this would be an hour before so you’d have 1 hour 50 maximum.

Aeroflot will almost certainly not just rebook you if you miss your original flight. They would likely charge you a full fare walk up ticket price,

And Jet Blue won’t be responsible either.
I've found Aeroflot at JFK much more flexible in freely re-booking me without asking for additional money or giving any other hassle when I've missed a check-in cut-off by a little bit on restricted tickets. And it doesn't take a lot for me to miss a flight cut-off of one sort or another at JFK when Van Wyck gives me a problem. While there is certainly some chance that they may try to squeeze more money out of a passenger who misses a flight, there is certainly some chance that they may not.

While I would be more comfortable with 4-5 hours of connection time between a NAS-JFK ticket and JFK-SVO(-___) ticket, I would mostly expect to have no problem making a 3 hour connection work on this route. But I would also suggest that the OP factor in what the costs may mean if everything goes wrong at JFK.

October can make a mess of East Coast travel due to hurricanes.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:31 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by manco
I can cancel the flight and re-book the next Aeroflot flight that leaves JFK @ 1 AM (meaning 7 hours in JFK) for $200.
The question is if I should do that, or assume they will put me on i anyway (possibly with a fee) if I miss the original one?

Also - The Jetblue flight 422 seems to be pretty stable , although it's timetable will change in October (from 15:30 to 13:24, which is what I ordered).

I also see that Aeroflot/SVO airport is getting more criticism than I thought , which is a little worrying...
It all depends on the agent and your risk tolerance. I would have booked the 7-hour connection from the beginning and used the downtime to work on my laptop. I personally would take the risk with the original flight and not pay the change fee. You will in all likelihood be fine with your connection, but keep in mind it doesn't take much to delay a flight 1-2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.