Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security on the Airtrain

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Security on the Airtrain

Just curious as to whether or not there is any form of security on the JFK and EWR Airtrains.

I'd be quite scared riding them if there wasn't any securityespecially during crowded times
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
There are attendants on the platforms

What is your concern?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
If you find riding the AirTrain scary, you might be better off staying home.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by a330boston
Just curious as to whether or not there is any form of security on the JFK and EWR Airtrains.

I'd be quite scared riding them if there wasn't any securityespecially during crowded times
I feel safer on the JFK/EWR Airtrains than I do on the MBTA Red Line. And I'd have no problem riding the Red Line anywhere.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Even off-peak, the train is crowded. By the way, if you're concerned about safety, I would suggest not riding the subways. Even New Yorkers that normally have their wits get thrown a curve ball every so often.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

scared of what exactly?? What led you to ask this question?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Even off-peak, the train is crowded. By the way, if you're concerned about safety, I would suggest not riding the subways. Even New Yorkers that normally have their wits get thrown a curve ball every so often.
Random story on this: a couple of years ago I was in NYC in Queens on the subway coming in from JFK, one stop away from my stop, I believe the E train. The train operator announced that the train would be holding for several minutes. I decided to get off while the train was holding and walk. My destination was between the two stops, only a minute or two closer to the further stop than my current stop. I was wearing a pea coat, and as I disembarked the crowded train one of my buttons caught someone's earphones, somehow yanked them both out of the guy's ears and whatever he was listening to, and came with me. They were the basic Apple earphones that come with an iPhone or iPod. I did not realize this at all until I heard some rather angry yelling from behind me. I'm used to this (been on a lot of subways) but this time it was actually directed at me. Guy points to my chest and I hand him back the earphones and apologize. I'm pretty sure he thought I was trying to steal them from him.

The only problem was the guy didn't realize I already had my $300 Bose QC20s on mostly hidden under my coat (I had pulled them out of my ears in response to the yelling), along with another $40 pair in my backpack and I wouldn't want his awful earphones anyway even if he gave them to me . I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to have done that intentionally anyway. But that guy definitely got thrown a curveball that day.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
If you find riding the AirTrain scary, you might be better off staying home.
For real.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Just don't wear your Red Sox gear and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
What led you to ask this question?

Why am I asking this? ..... Have you not heard about the recent spree of terror attacks in Europe?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Why am I asking this? ..... Have you not heard about the recent spree of terror attacks in Europe?
New York City is in the US.

If you're that afraid of a terrorist attack, you'll never use any form of public transit.

That is, of course, your decision, but it's going to limit your life considerably, especially when traveling.

Your risk of dying is probably higher driving to the airport.

Safe Travels!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Your risk of dying is probably higher driving to the airport.
Not probably - is. As in, orders of magnitude higher. About 400 times higher, to be exact.

Lifetime chance of dying in a random terrorist attack: 1 in 45,808
Lifetime chance of dying in a car accident: 1 in 113
http://www.businessinsider.com/death...cidents-2017-1

And of course, your chance of dying in an attack on a specific AirTrain trip (as opposed to averaged out over lifetime) is much, much lower. One in a million.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Which airport train in Europe was it that was attacked?

Unless there is some classified incident which was hushed up, the attacks in Europe have been at the airport. No level of security on the train has anything to do with that.

Besides, what has Europe to do with Queens?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:32 pm

You live in the US where all the mass shootings below occurred in 2016.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/re...ting?year=2016

I would be more concerned about that than European terror attacks.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Not probably - is. As in, orders of magnitude higher. About 400 times higher, to be exact.

Lifetime chance of dying in a random terrorist attack: 1 in 45,808
Lifetime chance of dying in a car accident: 1 in 113
http://www.businessinsider.com/death...cidents-2017-1

And of course, your chance of dying in an attack on a specific AirTrain trip (as opposed to averaged out over lifetime) is much, much lower. One in a million.
Far, far, far less than one in a million.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.