FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Security on the Airtrain
View Single Post
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:26 am
TheBOSman
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Even off-peak, the train is crowded. By the way, if you're concerned about safety, I would suggest not riding the subways. Even New Yorkers that normally have their wits get thrown a curve ball every so often.
Random story on this: a couple of years ago I was in NYC in Queens on the subway coming in from JFK, one stop away from my stop, I believe the E train. The train operator announced that the train would be holding for several minutes. I decided to get off while the train was holding and walk. My destination was between the two stops, only a minute or two closer to the further stop than my current stop. I was wearing a pea coat, and as I disembarked the crowded train one of my buttons caught someone's earphones, somehow yanked them both out of the guy's ears and whatever he was listening to, and came with me. They were the basic Apple earphones that come with an iPhone or iPod. I did not realize this at all until I heard some rather angry yelling from behind me. I'm used to this (been on a lot of subways) but this time it was actually directed at me. Guy points to my chest and I hand him back the earphones and apologize. I'm pretty sure he thought I was trying to steal them from him.

The only problem was the guy didn't realize I already had my $300 Bose QC20s on mostly hidden under my coat (I had pulled them out of my ears in response to the yelling), along with another $40 pair in my backpack and I wouldn't want his awful earphones anyway even if he gave them to me . I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to have done that intentionally anyway. But that guy definitely got thrown a curveball that day.