FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Security on the Airtrain (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1849356-security-airtrain.html)

a330boston Jun 21, 2017 7:10 am

Security on the Airtrain

Just curious as to whether or not there is any form of security on the JFK and EWR Airtrains.

I'd be quite scared riding them if there wasn't any securityespecially during crowded times

ajeleonard Jun 21, 2017 7:15 am

There are attendants on the platforms

What is your concern?

Blumie Jun 21, 2017 8:47 am

If you find riding the AirTrain scary, you might be better off staying home.

TheBOSman Jun 21, 2017 8:55 am

Originally Posted by a330boston (Post 28469468)
Just curious as to whether or not there is any form of security on the JFK and EWR Airtrains.

I'd be quite scared riding them if there wasn't any securityespecially during crowded times

I feel safer on the JFK/EWR Airtrains than I do on the MBTA Red Line. And I'd have no problem riding the Red Line anywhere.

dhammer53 Jun 21, 2017 9:10 am

Even off-peak, the train is crowded. By the way, if you're concerned about safety, I would suggest not riding the subways. Even New Yorkers that normally have their wits get thrown a curve ball every so often.

KENNECTED Jun 21, 2017 9:14 am

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: scared of what exactly?? What led you to ask this question?

TheBOSman Jun 21, 2017 9:26 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 28469871)
Even off-peak, the train is crowded. By the way, if you're concerned about safety, I would suggest not riding the subways. Even New Yorkers that normally have their wits get thrown a curve ball every so often.

Random story on this: a couple of years ago I was in NYC in Queens on the subway coming in from JFK, one stop away from my stop, I believe the E train. The train operator announced that the train would be holding for several minutes. I decided to get off while the train was holding and walk. My destination was between the two stops, only a minute or two closer to the further stop than my current stop. I was wearing a pea coat, and as I disembarked the crowded train one of my buttons caught someone's earphones, somehow yanked them both out of the guy's ears and whatever he was listening to, and came with me. They were the basic Apple earphones that come with an iPhone or iPod. I did not realize this at all until I heard some rather angry yelling from behind me. I'm used to this (been on a lot of subways) but this time it was actually directed at me. Guy points to my chest and I hand him back the earphones and apologize. I'm pretty sure he thought I was trying to steal them from him.

The only problem was the guy didn't realize I already had my $300 Bose QC20s on mostly hidden under my coat (I had pulled them out of my ears in response to the yelling), along with another $40 pair in my backpack and I wouldn't want his awful earphones anyway even if he gave them to me :D. I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to have done that intentionally anyway. But that guy definitely got thrown a curveball that day.

ijgordon Jun 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 28469794)
If you find riding the AirTrain scary, you might be better off staying home.

For real.

Doc Savage Jun 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Just don't wear your Red Sox gear and you'll be fine.

a330boston Jun 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 28469885)
What led you to ask this question?

Why am I asking this? ..... Have you not heard about the recent spree of terror attacks in Europe?

Doc Savage Jun 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by a330boston (Post 28470927)
Why am I asking this? ..... Have you not heard about the recent spree of terror attacks in Europe?

New York City is in the US.

If you're that afraid of a terrorist attack, you'll never use any form of public transit.

That is, of course, your decision, but it's going to limit your life considerably, especially when traveling.

Your risk of dying is probably higher driving to the airport.

Safe Travels!

gfunkdave Jun 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 28470947)
Your risk of dying is probably higher driving to the airport.

Not probably - is. As in, orders of magnitude higher. About 400 times higher, to be exact.

Lifetime chance of dying in a random terrorist attack: 1 in 45,808
Lifetime chance of dying in a car accident: 1 in 113
http://www.businessinsider.com/death...cidents-2017-1

And of course, your chance of dying in an attack on a specific AirTrain trip (as opposed to averaged out over lifetime) is much, much lower. One in a million.

Often1 Jun 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Which airport train in Europe was it that was attacked?

Unless there is some classified incident which was hushed up, the attacks in Europe have been at the airport. No level of security on the train has anything to do with that.

Besides, what has Europe to do with Queens?

Bogwoppit Jun 21, 2017 2:32 pm

You live in the US where all the mass shootings below occurred in 2016.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/re...ting?year=2016

I would be more concerned about that than European terror attacks.

cestmoi123 Jun 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 28470994)
Not probably - is. As in, orders of magnitude higher. About 400 times higher, to be exact.

Lifetime chance of dying in a random terrorist attack: 1 in 45,808
Lifetime chance of dying in a car accident: 1 in 113
http://www.businessinsider.com/death...cidents-2017-1

And of course, your chance of dying in an attack on a specific AirTrain trip (as opposed to averaged out over lifetime) is much, much lower. One in a million.

Far, far, far less than one in a million.