Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: progapanda
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/994659741568774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I'm pretty sure every terminal has a handicapped taxi pickup curbside. If you use wheelchair assistance the attendant should bring you to it.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by miadukes
This is such a pain, I should have researched better before deciding on LGA. I thought same that at 11pm at night, it might not be bad with traffic but darn, this just keeps getting interesting, I just want a nice curbside pickup so my mom doesn't have to lug stuff to a remote stand. I'm so tossed, I don't know if to go for groundlink and take a chance they do curbside or just so my amex Uber credit when we arrive. sigh.
I don't think groundlink is any different than any of the other FHV (for hire vehicle) services. They all pick up in the same place.

The first time I arrived at LGA after they banned curbside FHV pickups, I was talking to a Port Authority employee who got a somewhat devilish smile on his face as he recounted the story of a passenger who who was PISSED about having to take a bus to his fancy limo in the FHV lot.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by themicah
I don't think groundlink is any different than any of the other FHV (for hire vehicle) services. They all pick up in the same place.

The first time I arrived at LGA after they banned curbside FHV pickups, I was talking to a Port Authority employee who got a somewhat devilish smile on his face as he recounted the story of a passenger who who was PISSED about having to take a bus to his fancy limo in the FHV lot.
That actually does suck but we can't afford a limo LOL LOL LOL

I think I will just go with flow upon arrival and use my uber credit, doesn't seem worth it to do the groundlink and pay more if I still have to take a bus or walk to an outer lot. Thanks for all the replies.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I'm flying in tonight to LGA Terminal C/D and worried about Uber - last time it took 45 minutes and 5 cancellations before I got my car to pick me up (would have been quicker to leave from JFK....)

This time I'm booked on Dial7 hoping that having a car assigned and near me is better than the giant mess of waiting for an Uber/Lyft. We shall see!
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I'm flying in tonight to LGA Terminal C/D and worried about Uber - last time it took 45 minutes and 5 cancellations before I got my car to pick me up (would have been quicker to leave from JFK....)

This time I'm booked on Dial7 hoping that having a car assigned and near me is better than the giant mess of waiting for an Uber/Lyft. We shall see!
Well let us know, I think Dial7 doesn't assign a car until you call upon arrival, and so in theory it's effectively the same as calling an Uber/Lyft, except they shouldn't have the ability to cancel you.

I think both Uber and Lyft are doing "line ups" but only during certain hours, where you get a code and then just wait in line for the next available car (like a taxi rank) which I imagine can work better when there's tons of traffic. I think the traffic situation has mostly improved, and normally a Tuesday night shouldn't be too bad, but given the holiday it could be a crap shoot.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well let us know, I think Dial7 doesn't assign a car until you call upon arrival, and so in theory it's effectively the same as calling an Uber/Lyft, except they shouldn't have the ability to cancel you.

I think both Uber and Lyft are doing "line ups" but only during certain hours, where you get a code and then just wait in line for the next available car (like a taxi rank) which I imagine can work better when there's tons of traffic. I think the traffic situation has mostly improved, and normally a Tuesday night shouldn't be too bad, but given the holiday it could be a crap shoot.
Yeah, I have to confirm when I arrive and I assume a car will come. I'm just hoping it'll be within LGA, vs trying to get into LGA, which is my main issue with Uber.

I've heard about this mythical Lyft service using a code... but it has been closed every time I've been there (which are, of course, during high traffic periods)

My last trip into LGA (2 weeks ago), I landed on a Tuesday at 6pm and waited 45 minutes for an uber. But my last 4-5 trips to LGA have been w/o a hitch. I'm just worried about the holiday season
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Yeah, I have to confirm when I arrive and I assume a car will come. I'm just hoping it'll be within LGA, vs trying to get into LGA, which is my main issue with Uber.

I've heard about this mythical Lyft service using a code... but it has been closed every time I've been there (which are, of course, during high traffic periods)

My last trip into LGA (2 weeks ago), I landed on a Tuesday at 6pm and waited 45 minutes for an uber. But my last 4-5 trips to LGA have been w/o a hitch. I'm just worried about the holiday season
This is good to know., We land at 11pm on a friday, i can't imagine it being busy but you never know.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:51 pm

Dial 7 dispatched a car via email once I landed and confirmed I had my bags. It took the driver about 5 minutes to get in to LGA and pick me up in the first row of the ride share app lot.

At 9pm on Tuesday before Thanksgiving, the airport was empty and everything went w/o issue. My driver said at 5:30pm, the place was a complete nightmare. It's often just the luck of the draw...
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:10 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Afternoon pickup

Took us 27 min from calling Carmel to the car arriving at the garage for pickup yesterday afternoon. I tracked the car on the app til my phone froze and shut down - looked like he was almost to the garage within 5-10 min, but then rerounted back to the West on GCP and came back. Claimed there were roads closed or some such. Just wish they would put some screens up on the side of the garage to block the wind!
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dial 7 dispatched a car via email once I landed and confirmed I had my bags. It took the driver about 5 minutes to get in to LGA and pick me up in the first row of the ride share app lot.

At 9pm on Tuesday before Thanksgiving, the airport was empty and everything went w/o issue. My driver said at 5:30pm, the place was a complete nightmare. It's often just the luck of the draw...
Well maybe some luck, some patterns.
But I suspect the lack of traffic was the benefit here vs. choosing Dial7 over Uber/Lyft. When the airport is not a zoo, the ride share pickup area is pretty decent...
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dstan
Took us 27 min from calling Carmel to the car arriving at the garage for pickup yesterday afternoon. I tracked the car on the app til my phone froze and shut down - looked like he was almost to the garage within 5-10 min, but then rerounted back to the West on GCP and came back. Claimed there were roads closed or some such.
Well at least with Uber/Lyft you can cancel when you see the driver head off-airport! (has definitely happened to me), don't think it's so easy with Carmel/Dial7. Not convinced one is meaningfully better than the other (C/D vs. U/L) for airport pickups. But I definitely like not having to stress about the car waiting for me when being picked up in Manhattan. The Uber/Lyft always seems to be either 1 minute away or 10 minutes away! And they may not wait more than 2 minutes for you; it could take longer for me to get downstairs if the elevator is fussy.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:18 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Well at least with Uber/Lyft you can cancel when you see the driver head off-airport! (has definitely happened to me), don't think it's so easy with Carmel/Dial7. Not convinced one is meaningfully better than the other (C/D vs. U/L) for airport pickups. But I definitely like not having to stress about the car waiting for me when being picked up in Manhattan. The Uber/Lyft always seems to be either 1 minute away or 10 minutes away! And they may not wait more than 2 minutes for you; it could take longer for me to get downstairs if the elevator is fussy.
Yeah, I was worried about a long wait for a Lyft with the weather (Carmel only had "Deluxe" available for $8 more than the standard), so I bit the bullet and reserved the day before. Don't know how long the Lyft line was. Probably a wash.

OTOH, it was an Infiniti QX60, so nice high ride for Lil Miss dstan and Lil'er Miss dstan, who can get carsick.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:03 pm

Has anybody taken notice of whether it is still feasible to walk across the 94th St bridge (from Ditmars) to Terminal B and vice versa? I am visiting a friend in Astoria and he suggested this to me as something that locals do. I'm not opposed to rough sidewalks and such as long as there is an actual place for pedestrians to walk. Thank you for any insight.

Last edited by canyoncar; Dec 8, 2019 at 10:13 pm
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:16 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I took the Q70 to LGA last Friday night from Roosevelt Ave around 6:45 pm. The traffic between B and D was pretty bad and it took about 45 minutes to get from Roosevelt Ave to D.

+1 and I arrived last night back into LGA about 10:30 pm at the far end of Terminal C; the walk to the consolidated rideshare pickup between C and D was quite a hoof. I did note that there was a fully functioning taxi stand curbside of the C baggage claim and if we didn't have some Lyft credits to use, I would have strongly considered using it as there wasn't a queue of passengers at all.

Oddly, despite selecting C/D as our pickup, we were matched with a driver and not assigned a code. The Lyft dispatchers said this happens from time to time and we just waited in the Lyft area for our driver to pick us up. I think we waited about five minutes for the driver to arrive.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I did note that there was a fully functioning taxi stand curbside of the C baggage claim and if we didn't have some Lyft credits to use, I would have strongly considered using it as there wasn't a queue of passengers at all.
From my past few experiences, that's only for those who need assistance - IE elderly, wheelchair, etc etc. That's why it has such a short line

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.