Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

For the love of god, can NYC create a reasonable public transport option to LGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of October 2018, there are some temporary changes to the M60-SBS service for those taking the N/W NYC Subway service from Astoria Blvd:
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1960975-astoria-blvd-n-w-subway-stop-closed-3-17-209-through-12-2019-m60-lga-impacted.html
Effective 12:01 AM, Monday, Oct 22M60 SBS, Q48, Q70 SBS and Q72 - Bus stop changes at Terminal D in LaGuardia AirportDue to construction:Buses will now make the following stop: LGA Terminal D on LaGuardia Road (Delta Arrivals Rd)The following stop will no longer be served: LGA Terminal D on East End Road
Print Wikipost

For the love of god, can NYC create a reasonable public transport option to LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by themicah
Most SBS locations have two machines that take Metrocards and one that takes coins only. You cannot pay for buses (whether regular buses or SBS) with paper money.
Do the "cash" machines accept (SBA) $1 coins, $0.50 coins (I haven't seen these [except US MINT coin sets] in a long time.)
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by nrr
Most SBS locations have two machines that take Metrocards and one that takes coins only. You cannot pay for buses (whether regular buses or SBS) with paper money.
Do the "cash" machines accept (SBA) $1 coins, $0.50 coins (I haven't seen these [except US MINT coin sets] in a long time.)
NYCT bus fareboxes and MVMs accept SBA dollar coins, but not half-dollar coins. I'm pretty sure that the SBS machines are the same.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
NYCT bus fareboxes and MVMs accept SBA dollar coins, but not half-dollar coins. I'm pretty sure that the SBS machines are the same.
I think that's right. I'm not 100% sure about SBA dollars, but pretty confident they'll accept the gold-colored 21st century dollar coins, and I think the SBA dollars are the same size/weight. The machines do not accept half dollars.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by guv1976
I think that's right. I'm not 100% sure about SBA dollars, but pretty confident they'll accept the gold-colored 21st century dollar coins, and I think the SBA dollars are the same size/weight. The machines do not accept half dollars.
Yes, the SBA and Sacagawea dollar coins are the same size and -- I assume -- weight.

But the larger Eisenhower dollars are not accepted at the fareboxes or machines.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I just got the 10-ride card. It had to be purchased as a new card; I'll keep it as 10-ride and not try to add value to it.

It has a printed expiration date of May 31, 2017.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sethb
I've seen them at Terminal C, at least.
We arrived at Terminal C last night. When we got outside, we followed signs to the "public buses" which seemed to be located at the side of the Terminal closer to Terminal D. When we got to the bus stop, we saw signs on the SBS machines telling people to buy metrocards inside the terminal. We walked back inside which was a make-shift corridor during the construction with white walls. No metrocard machines. Why not tell the visitors WHERE inside the terminal to buy metrocards like a Hudson News if that is what they meant? The Q70 arrived quickly so I didn't get a chance to explore further.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Analise
We arrived at Terminal C last night. When we got outside, we followed signs to the "public buses" which seemed to be located at the side of the Terminal closer to Terminal D. When we got to the bus stop, we saw signs on the SBS machines telling people to buy metrocards inside the terminal. We walked back inside which was a make-shift corridor during the construction with white walls. No metrocard machines. Why not tell the visitors WHERE inside the terminal to buy metrocards like a Hudson News if that is what they meant? The Q70 arrived quickly so I didn't get a chance to explore further.
If I get to Terminal C tonight, I'll check. (I'm on a flight to LGA, but it's very overbooked and I might end up flying to JFK. I prefer LGA, but not $500+ worth.)
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
If I get to Terminal C tonight, I'll check. (I'm on a flight to LGA, but it's very overbooked and I might end up flying to JFK. I prefer LGA, but not $500+ worth.)
Definitely NOT worth $500! We landed at C-34 (I miss the Marine Air Terminal for the Delta Shuttle to/from Boston but that's a different story) which is the wing furthest from D and we walked outside directly from there so we walked the length of C entirely outside to get to the bus stop.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Definitely NOT worth $500! We landed at C-34 (I miss the Marine Air Terminal for the Delta Shuttle to/from Boston but that's a different story) which is the wing furthest from D and we walked outside directly from there so we walked the length of C entirely outside to get to the bus stop.
I landed around there, but the bus arrived just as I got to the stop so I didn't have time to look for anything. I didn't see the machine inside as I walked by, but I didn't check thoroughly.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Unless construction has taken out the corridor the small Metro Card machine is directly aligned with the bus stop (inside) Terminal C. I think a newstand or something and it is immediately to the right of it (facing outside). It is very small and easy to miss.

I recall the location well as when it is cold that is typically where I stand/wait for the Q70 and gives just enough seconds to run outside.

See attachment for visual location but remember it is INSIDE as you will see the SBS machine outside.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That seems about right. Construction is on the other side of the corridor (left as you head towards Terminal D).

I also didn't have time to check is one SBS machine takes cash.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:56 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Reviving this thread yet again after so many years, since the producers delivered yet another episode of the teledrama:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/n...tan-cuomo.html

and one of the analyses referenced in the article, which points out that this proposed option wouldn't actually get people there faster:

https://www.thetransportpolitic.com/...-one-any-time/
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:58 am

So, so incredibly stupid.
Analise and Newman55 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:02 pm

Sheer lunacy. Under 30 minutes to Manhattan including waiting for the Airtrain, walking the boardwalk to the LIRR, and immediately catching one of the sporadic Port Washington trains that actually stop by the Tennis Center? That is a bold-faced lie.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
If the objective is to minimize NIMBY interaction, the proposed LGA Airtrain should continue further south on the GCP RoW and terminate at Jamaica.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.