Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

For the love of god, can NYC create a reasonable public transport option to LGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of October 2018, there are some temporary changes to the M60-SBS service for those taking the N/W NYC Subway service from Astoria Blvd:
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1960975-astoria-blvd-n-w-subway-stop-closed-3-17-209-through-12-2019-m60-lga-impacted.html
Effective 12:01 AM, Monday, Oct 22M60 SBS, Q48, Q70 SBS and Q72 - Bus stop changes at Terminal D in LaGuardia AirportDue to construction:Buses will now make the following stop: LGA Terminal D on LaGuardia Road (Delta Arrivals Rd)The following stop will no longer be served: LGA Terminal D on East End Road
Print Wikipost

For the love of god, can NYC create a reasonable public transport option to LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Analise
From LGA, it can be a problem especially if people don't know to buy a metrocard in advance of arriving at an SBS bus stop. There are curbside SBS machines but no metrocard ticket machines along side them. That makes no sense especially at an airport with no signage about where to buy metrocards.
OMG. Never realized that. Where can one buy a metrocard in LGA?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
From LGA, it can be a problem especially if people don't know to buy a metrocard in advance of arriving at an SBS bus stop. There are curbside SBS machines but no metrocard ticket machines along side them. That makes no sense especially at an airport with no signage about where to buy metrocards.
There are signs at the bus stop about where to buy metrocards (just inside the terminal). I can't recall if the SBS machines take cash.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sethb
There are signs at the bus stop about where to buy metrocards (just inside the terminal). I can't recall if the SBS machines take cash.
Those signs aren't ubiquitous because we haven't seen them outside and have had to help countless businesspeople and tourists.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Those signs aren't ubiquitous because we haven't seen them outside and have had to help countless businesspeople and tourists.
I've seen them at Terminal C, at least.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Even if it's possible I wouldn't recommend it unless you're sure to use up ALL the pay-per-ride value on your Metrocard before the expiration date on the card itself. Once you add multiple kinds of value to a single card, it becomes much harder to exchange that card for a new one when it expires (you often have to mail it in, and it takes months to get it back). I think it's worth the extra $1 fee to get the 10-trip AirTrain value on a separate card so that it won't mess up your ability to exchange your regular pay-per-ride card for a new card (and keep the value) when it expires.
The last time my MetroCard expired (used for time and dollar vallue,) a MetroCard vending machine just gave me a new one when I tried to add value, and moved the balance over from the old to the new. It was very easy, and very painless.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
The last time my MetroCard expired (used for time and dollar vallue,) a MetroCard vending machine just gave me a new one when I tried to add value, and moved the balance over from the old to the new. It was very easy, and very painless.
One time when I had an agent combine several Metro Cards (before the $1 charge, of course) it even preserved the bus transfer on one of them.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:37 pm

Yes, that works beautifully if you have a straight-up pay-per-ride (value-based) Metrocard. But if you start adding different kinds of credit (value, time) to the same card, it can screw things up.

I had a card expire a couple months ago that I couldn't exchange at a vending machine or even at a booth. The booth attendant told me that it was because it had both time and value on it (I only used it as pay-per-ride, but it was a card I found on the floor that was previously used by someone else as an unlimited Express Bus card). And it took almost two months to get a card back after I mailed it in. I wouldn't be surprised if a combination pay-per-ride and AirTrain 10-trip card (assuming you can even combine those things on the same card) might have the same issue.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Yes, that works beautifully if you have a straight-up pay-per-ride (value-based) Metrocard. But if you start adding different kinds of credit (value, time) to the same card, it can screw things up.

I had a card expire a couple months ago that I couldn't exchange at a vending machine or even at a booth. The booth attendant told me that it was because it had both time and value on it (I only used it as pay-per-ride, but it was a card I found on the floor that was previously used by someone else as an unlimited Express Bus card). And it took almost two months to get a card back after I mailed it in. I wouldn't be surprised if a combination pay-per-ride and AirTrain 10-trip card (assuming you can even combine those things on the same card) might have the same issue.
+1.

I had a similar experience with an expired Metrocard that I had used as both pay-per-ride and as a 7-day unlimited. The card could not be exchanged at either a station booth or at a MVM; I mailed the card in around October 19; just received the replacement a few days ago.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Most SBS locations have two machines that take Metrocards and one that takes coins only. You cannot pay for buses (whether regular buses or SBS) with paper money.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:15 am

I didn't have a "straight-up pay-per-ride" card. It was a time based card, on which I added cash value for the AirTrain.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by guv1976

+1.

I had a similar experience with an expired Metrocard that I had used as both pay-per-ride and as a 7-day unlimited. The card could not be exchanged at either a station booth or at a MVM; I mailed the card in around October 19; just received the replacement a few days ago.
Really? I didn't know that. I have one about to expire and I've used it just twice for 7-day unlimiteds but most of the time for pay-per-ride. So I'll have to mail it in and thus buy a new card (and be forced to spend $1 new card fee) in the meantime? That's ridiculous.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:36 am

Really? I didn't know that. I have one about to expire and I've used it just twice for 7-day unlimiteds but most of the time for pay-per-ride. So I'll have to mail it in and thus buy a new card (and be forced to spend $1 new card fee) in the meantime? That's ridiculous.
In my experience, you just need to attempt to add value after it has expired. The machine will then notify you that it is expired, and then have an option for a new card (at no further charge,) and the old balance will be transferred over.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:51 am

In my experience, you just need to attempt to add value after it has expired. The machine will then notify you that it is expired, and then have an option for a new card (at no further charge,) and the old balance will be transferred over.
Ohhhhh, that's what I've always done. Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"So I'll have to mail it in and thus buy a new card (and be forced to spend $1 new card fee) in the meantime?"

Another option is to buy a pre-valued Metrocard (from a Metrocard merchant), which has no $1 new-card fee.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Another option is to buy a pre-valued Metrocard (from a Metrocard merchant), which has no $1 new-card fee.
If the machine fails to give me a new card, that would work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.