Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

For the love of god, can NYC create a reasonable public transport option to LGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of October 2018, there are some temporary changes to the M60-SBS service for those taking the N/W NYC Subway service from Astoria Blvd:
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1960975-astoria-blvd-n-w-subway-stop-closed-3-17-209-through-12-2019-m60-lga-impacted.html
Effective 12:01 AM, Monday, Oct 22M60 SBS, Q48, Q70 SBS and Q72 - Bus stop changes at Terminal D in LaGuardia AirportDue to construction:Buses will now make the following stop: LGA Terminal D on LaGuardia Road (Delta Arrivals Rd)The following stop will no longer be served: LGA Terminal D on East End Road
Print Wikipost

For the love of god, can NYC create a reasonable public transport option to LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
At LGA last night around 7PM waiting for the Q33, which takes me to the E train that stops a block from my apartment. An M60 bus comes, then another one, then another, and finally a fourth within in the span of 10 minutes with no Q33 in site. So I get on, I am the only passenger all the way to the Steinway Street subway stop (N/Q). I'm thinking does a monkey schedule these buses?

The only bad thing is that the driver was going so slow we hit every red light.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
At LGA last night around 7PM waiting for the Q33, which takes me to the E train that stops a block from my apartment. An M60 bus comes, then another one, then another, and finally a fourth within in the span of 10 minutes with no Q33 in site. So I get on, I am the only passenger all the way to the Steinway Street subway stop (N/Q). I'm thinking does a monkey schedule these buses?

The only bad thing is that the driver was going so slow we hit every red light.
What stop on the E do you get off on?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
What stop on the E do you get off on?
14th Street. Its a direct shot. With the Q, I need to transfer at 42nd st to the 2/3, which is not that much more of a hassle but usually the E at night getting a seat is easy.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
My advice would be to get the first bus that gets there. Either way, you'll get home just about the same time...and I would recommend waiting to transfer at either 14th and take the L to 8th Avenue or a quick cab from Union Square
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:43 pm

I hear you TA: I truly wish LGA had a direct rail link! So many times I've seen all the shuttle buses, taxis, etc. and wondered why the heck doesn't LGA have a rail line. I'm sure the taxis wouldn't be pleased!

I always take the buses to/from the LGA (and the train to JFK) (unless I'm traveling with Pelican cases) but have always wished NYC would invest in a train system that provides direct access to LGA. Maybe someday.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:00 pm
Suspended

My advice would be to get the first bus that gets there. Either way, you'll get home just about the same time...and I would recommend waiting to transfer at either 14th and take the L to 8th Avenue or a quick cab from Union Square
The problem is that the M60 is usually chocked full of paxs (often traveling with huge luggage not suitable for a city bus) while the Q33 seems to be just airport workers and therefore less crowded. The M60 also seems to get delayed in boarding by paxs trying to pay with cash (and arguing with the driver they do not understand what a MetroCard is), asking the driver ten thousand questions, or people struggling to tote a streamtrunk aboard the bus.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:08 pm

The problem is that the M60 is usually chocked full of paxs (often traveling with huge luggage not suitable for a city bus) while the Q33 seems to be just airport workers and therefore less crowded. The M60 also seems to get delayed in boarding by paxs trying to pay with cash (and arguing with the driver they do not understand what a MetroCard is), asking the driver ten thousand questions, or people struggling to tote a streamtrunk aboard the bus.
I can see it happening but it never has, to me at least...
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I live on the border of Yorktown and Spanish Harlem. . .
In which city?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
In which city?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I'm sure the taxi cab association has an interest in keeping LGA bus-only.
They're also who designed the roads to the DL and shuttle terminals.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:20 pm

14th Street. Its a direct shot. With the Q, I need to transfer at 42nd st to the 2/3, which is not that much more of a hassle but usually the E at night getting a seat is easy.
I think at night the E often runs on the F tracks. So you get a surprizing list of alternate station stops.
I would prefer it ran on the v/M tracks.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by squid
I think at night the E often runs on the F tracks. So you get a surprizing list of alternate station stops.
The E/F run on the same track in Queens. Roosevelt Ave. is their (combined) first connection with the local tracks. The next express stop is 71 street, unless all service is operating on the local track. At 71 the E continues express and the F is local. if the E runs local after 71, like the F, that only adds one additional stop.

If all trains are running local from Manhattan to Queens (ie. late night or weekends), you're better off on the F as it doesn't run local until Roosevelt Ave.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Originally Posted by squid
The E/F run on the same track in Queens. Roosevelt Ave. is their (combined) first connection with the local tracks. The next express stop is 71 street, unless all service is operating on the local track. At 71 the E continues express and the F is local. if the E runs local after 71, like the F, that only adds one additional stop.

If all trains are running local from Manhattan to Queens (ie. late night or weekends), you're better off on the F as it doesn't run local until Roosevelt Ave.
Wrong direction. I think squid's point was that when the E runs along the F line into Manhattan, the E does not stop at Lexington/53rd Street, or Fifth Avenue/53rd Street.
(And by the way, it's 71st Avenue -- not Street -- in Forest Hills. Even subway conductors get this wrong. The cross street at 71st Avenue Station is 108th Street. 71st Street would be a few miles away, in Woodside.)
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Wrong direction. I think squid's point was that when the E runs along the F line into Manhattan, the E does not stop at Lexington/53rd Street, or Fifth Avenue/53rd Street.
(And by the way, it's 71st Avenue -- not Street -- in Forest Hills. Even subway conductors get this wrong. The cross street at 71st Avenue Station is 108th Street. 71st Street would be a few miles away, in Woodside.)
Ahhhh Thanks...now it all makes sense!

71 Street, or Avenue, Queens streets, avenues, access road, terrace, place parkway, etc and address are too damn confusing!

Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
The E/F run on the same track in Queens.
It's only the same between Roosevelt and Forest Hills. West of Roosevelt, the F goes up to 21st/Queensbridge and over to Roosevelt Island. The E goes to Queens Plaza and then Ely. East of Forest Hills, they split too.

That all depends. The F isn't going to go on the E line east of Forest Hills even if E service is suspended. So if you're heading to Jamaica Sutphin for JFK or the LIRR, the F doesn't go there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.