Search

New England December

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:36 am
Original Poster

New England December

Hi,

I'm from Europe and planing to visit New England from 12/19/07 - 12/31/07
Is there a page, where I can find out about closed roads during the winter?
Is it recomended to drive a 4wd car?

My route would be:

Boston - Portland - Bangor - Bar Harbor - Norridgewock - North Conway - Ashland - Woodstock - West Springfield - Sandwich - Boston

Thanks for any information

Klaus
Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:43 am

Hi Klaus --

For the trip you are planning, all roads will be open in winter. The only possible exception would be the Kancamagus Highway (Route 112, between Conway and Lincoln), which may be closed when there's a lot of snow. Of course, if there happens to be a significant snow storm, some roads might be temporarily closed for a few hours until the storm passes and the snow plows have made the road passable. Generally, however, the main roads in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont are kept reasonably clear.

Some people drive 4wd vehicles but most do not. It's not a bad idea, given your planned route and the time of year.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:52 am

Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold
There are a couple of websites that will have weather related road closure info. For example: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/index.htm

Each state will also likely have it's own site. For example, for NH: http://www.nh.gov/dot/traveler/weather/weather.htm
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Hi there and welcome to FT!

I don't think a 4W drive car is necessary, but you might want to get a decent car with good tires. NE tends to keep the highways in pretty good shape unless there is really a huge storm. Chances are that you'll be ok.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT, Klaus!

I have lived in New England for 42 years, all of them as a driver. I have never owned a 4WD car and have never felt the need for one. In fact, a disproportionate fraction of the cars I see off the road during snowstorms are 4WD. People who drive them tend to forget that better traction under power does not mean better braking or better steering control while not under power.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 3:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The weather is completly unpredictible in New England in December (and most of the rest of the year too). For example, this year, Easter was colder then Christmas was in my area.

If there are road closures, barring a massive multi day storm (not all that likely that early in the season) they will be for short periods of time. I wouldn't plan on more then hours or a day or so. They will clear the roads, and off you go.

Common sense would be a better defense then 4 WD will be, and it will of course depend on your experience in driving in bad weather should you face it.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:05 pm

Maps that show the warnings issued by the National Weather Service Forecast Office can also be useful.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/
Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
At that time of year you might be a little cautious about this bit:

Bar Harbor - Norridgewock - North Conway - Ashland - Woodstock

The rest of your routing is via well-maintained Interstate / motorway-type highways, but the road over the White Mountains (US 302) goes through some quiet country and can be a trial in really bad weather. I used to drive from Burlington, VT over to coastal Maine every Christmas Eve, and some of those trips were a little tense. AWD is a good idea (even though Efrem is right, above, when he says AWD is no substitute for a gentle touch and awareness of the laws of physics), as is some basic emergency equipment (blankets, flares, water, power bars) and a little experience driving in snow and ice.

Then again the weather in New England this winter was pretty balmy until January, so you might not have any issues at all!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I agree with all the above posters that common sense is much more important thab 4WD! Although I have lived in either northern New York state or New England for most of my life, I have never had a 4WD vehicle! If there was a (normal) storm, I would stay inside to allow them to clear the roads. Usually within a few hours, most roads were clear!

At least in southern New England, the 1st storm this past winter was Feb 14. Before that, the total snowfall for the entire winter was under 2 inches! (Yes, that's unusual, but I think December can be safe.)

I remember years ago, a storm hit Albany NY on Oct 3! But where I lived 45 miles north, we had sunny skies and did not even see a snowflake! But the next storm was not until January! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.