Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in Boston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Uber in Boston

I'm considering using Uber for the first time on my quick trip to Boston as I will need to get to BOS for a 6am flight and the T is unfortunately not an option. So here are my questions:

1. As I'm reading about how Uber works, I've learned that each city has a built-in minimum. What is it for Boston? (For that matter, what is it for Portland?)

2. Will I be charged for tolls in the tunnel for each direction? (Assuming tolls are charged each way; I don't know)

3. Is uberTaxi less or more expensive than uberX early in the morning?

4. For location, will the app accept the name of the hotel as a pickup location or must it have the exact address? For example, using the laptop on the uber website, I used the fare estimator for Logan's Terminal A and the estimator didn't acknowledge Terminal A as the drop off. All it recognized was Logan Airport. I picked the "Sheraton Copley" as the pick up location just to get an idea of the fares; I'm not sure if we're staying there.

5. Does the estimator include tolls?

I may have more questions later. Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Analise
I'm considering using Uber for the first time on my quick trip to Boston as I will need to get to BOS for a 6am flight and the T is unfortunately not an option. So here are my questions:

1. As I'm reading about how Uber works, I've learned that each city has a built-in minimum. What is it for Boston? (For that matter, what is it for Portland?)

2. Will I be charged for tolls in the tunnel for each direction? (Assuming tolls are charged each way; I don't know)

3. Is uberTaxi less or more expensive than uberX early in the morning?

4. For location, will the app accept the name of the hotel as a pickup location or must it have the exact address? For example, using the laptop on the uber website, I used the fare estimator for Logan's Terminal A and the estimator didn't acknowledge Terminal A as the drop off. All it recognized was Logan Airport. I picked the "Sheraton Copley" as the pick up location just to get an idea of the fares; I'm not sure if we're staying there.

5. Does the estimator include tolls?

I may have more questions later. Thanks.
To answer a couple questions: uber in Boston will adds tolls as well as an airport surcharge of $8.75 (to and from BOS). Pick-up/drop-off locations seem to be based on Google maps, so names of a hotel are fine as long as it comes up in the list from which to select when you type it in.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:43 pm

1. I think the minimum fare for UberX is $5.

2. Uber adds $8.75 plus $5.25 for the tunnel toll. The tunnel only has a toll one-way, but Uber charges the toll for either direction when going to/from the airport. The $8.75 is arbitrary, as Logan doesn't charge drivers anything to drop off passengers.

3. UberX is always cheaper, especially as there is no tipping.

4. Hotel name is fine, and probably preferred by the driver.

5. I believe so.

The total fare should be about $20, give or take.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
Uber adds $8.75 plus $5.25 for the tunnel toll.
Would I be charged that same $14 in tolls regardless of whether I chose uber or a taxi?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:06 pm

Would I be charged that same $14 in tolls regardless of whether I chose uber or a taxi?
I think a taxi would only have 2.75 in tolls. I still think UberX would be cheaper. Uber substantially undercuts taxis, even before you consider that there is no tipping with Uber.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:55 pm

The tunnel toll is U$3.50 for cars. The actual toll is only charged going into the city center from the airport, not the other direction to the airport from downtown.
Iirc from the last time I did it, taxis charge U$5 extra for going to the airport.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
I used UberX last month from my Boston hotel to airport at 3:00am. No trouble getting a pickup at my hotel, and the fare was much cheaper than a taxi.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:28 am

If you're going to take Uber in Boston, be very careful. It's completely unregulated so you don't know who you're getting into a car with. One of the drivers here was recently arrested for raping female passengers -- I don't know if he's still in custody or not.

Although personally I wouldn't risk my life to save a couple bucks, you should be able to get a permit from any police station to carry pepper spray.

There are quite a few 6 AM flights out of BOS so getting to the airport before the T opens is something we've all had to deal with. For me, I just take a taxi and I've always made it.

I hope you'll make it too, no matter what risks you choose.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tanri
If you're going to take Uber in Boston, be very careful. It's completely unregulated so you don't know who you're getting into a car with. One of the drivers here was recently arrested for raping female passengers -- I don't know if he's still in custody or not.
When I was in my early 30s, a NYC taxi driver tried to assault me. I got out. So taxi gov't regulation means nothing to me regarding any kind of guaranteed protection from thug cab drivers. There are thugs everywhere; hopefully, I don't come into contact with them! But I appreciate your sharing this with me.

Although personally I wouldn't risk my life to save a couple bucks, you should be able to get a permit from any police station to carry pepper spray.
Several years ago, I carried mace on my keychain and it got confiscated at PWM's security. I should look into getting a permit! Good idea.

There are quite a few 6 AM flights out of BOS so getting to the airport before the T opens is something we've all had to deal with.
I knew that the was the case which is why I knew people here would have good advice. It's surprising that even the silver line doesn't begin at an earlier hour.

I hope you'll make it too, no matter what risks you choose.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by rabtech
I used UberX last month from my Boston hotel to airport at 3:00am. No trouble getting a pickup at my hotel, and the fare was much cheaper than a taxi.
Great to know. Thanks.

Uber substantially undercuts taxis, even before you consider that there is no tipping with Uber.
No tipping? No option to pick 20%, 25%, 15%, etc? Seriously??
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
The pickup location on Uber is based on GPS, it shows as a pin drop on a map. You can test it out by opening the app. You won't need to enter the name of the hotel or address, but you can if you want to be picked up somewhere else.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I think Uber is vastly superior as compared to taxi's in Boston as maybe compared to other cities. I've used it to Logan multiple times with no issues.

Pick up at Logan is a little wonkier because they need livery plates (I think), but drop off is as easy as if a friend did it.

Highly suggested. And yes they are serious about the no tipping thing.

If it's your first time using it, you get $20 off your first usage. If you know anyone else who uses Uber, they can give you a code. Or I can give you mine

The person whose code you use will also get $20 off their next trip.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keithlavon
If it's your first time using it, you get $20 off your first usage. If you know anyone else who uses Uber, they can give you a code. Or I can give you mine

The person whose code you use will also get $20 off their next trip.
Brilliant way to build new business and grow current business simultaneously. ^

This indeed would be my first time. I'm not going until the middle of August so if the offer is still available and my friend and I are not staying at a hotel with shuttle service, I'll PM you if that's all right with you. Thank you!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:15 pm

Brilliant way to build new business and grow current business simultaneously. ^

This indeed would be my first time. I'm not going until the middle of August so if the offer is still available and my friend and I are not staying at a hotel with shuttle service, I'll PM you if that's all right with you. Thank you!
It really is a smart business plan!

Feel free to PM. Happy to help
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Quick question — Are tolls included in the $20 discount promo code?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:22 pm

Thanks. Quick question — Are tolls included in the $20 discount promo code?
To be honest I'm sure sure.

I can't find any of the fine print with a quick scan. It just says "they'll get their first ride free (up to $20)."

Sorry not much help there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.