FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Uber in Boston
Thread: Uber in Boston
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:41 am
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tanri
If you're going to take Uber in Boston, be very careful. It's completely unregulated so you don't know who you're getting into a car with. One of the drivers here was recently arrested for raping female passengers -- I don't know if he's still in custody or not.
When I was in my early 30s, a NYC taxi driver tried to assault me. I got out. So taxi gov't regulation means nothing to me regarding any kind of guaranteed protection from thug cab drivers. There are thugs everywhere; hopefully, I don't come into contact with them! But I appreciate your sharing this with me.

Originally Posted by will2288
Although personally I wouldn't risk my life to save a couple bucks, you should be able to get a permit from any police station to carry pepper spray.
Several years ago, I carried mace on my keychain and it got confiscated at PWM's security. I should look into getting a permit! Good idea.

There are quite a few 6 AM flights out of BOS so getting to the airport before the T opens is something we've all had to deal with.
I knew that the was the case which is why I knew people here would have good advice. It's surprising that even the silver line doesn't begin at an earlier hour.

I hope you'll make it too, no matter what risks you choose.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by rabtech
I used UberX last month from my Boston hotel to airport at 3:00am. No trouble getting a pickup at my hotel, and the fare was much cheaper than a taxi.
Great to know. Thanks.

Originally Posted by will2288
Uber substantially undercuts taxis, even before you consider that there is no tipping with Uber.
No tipping? No option to pick 20%, 25%, 15%, etc? Seriously??