Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Why is every rental car at BOS in May at least $70/day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is every rental car at BOS in May at least $70/day?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by GatorAir
Is this the same reason there is very little hotel availability (Hyatt/SPG) in Boston the weekend of 5/17?
Boston has three tourist peaks:

Fall foliage - late September to late October. It's not just about the color around Boston, but also north and south, because many tours jump off from Boston.

"Graduation season" - about mid-May through mid-June ("about" because it ramps up and down at either end).

Marathon weekend - tourism people reported that the average - average - room rate was $556/nt. this year.

Rental car rates are similarly sensitive.

Others here report that it's much cheaper in town. In my experience, it actually makes the biggest difference to rent in the suburbs -- Brookline, Cambridge, Newton, Somerville etc. Boston has discovered how to tax in nearly all the ways that it and the airport do at Logan. The suburbs haven't, or don't.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:14 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Not that hard to figure out. May is end of the school year and graduation. Boston is the #1 city with number of colleges/universities, etc. at 58.

[off-topic text edited by Moderator.]
May graduations would be my first guess also. And for those who are curious/interested, here are the commencement dates for many of the local schools: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...ZeP/story.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.