Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Uber vs SilverLine vs Taxi - Boston

Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE

Flying SWA into Boston close to midnight Valentines day with Mrs.ChevyCruze.. thinking about taking a UberX or Uber Black from BOS to the Hilton downtown/financial district. The app is estimating roughly $30. Does the fare quote on the app include the tunnel and airport fees or is that tacked on at the end?

Would we be better off taking a taxi or the Silverline to Downtown? Wasn't sure if the SL would be running around midnight.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:57 pm

I wouldn't bother with public transportation for such a short trip, especially as the SL doesn't go right to the hotel.

UberX would be the cheapest option, but it might take a while to get a car at that time of night if you can find one at all. There should be plenty of Uber black cars available, but that would cost a lot more. However, both could have surge pricing at that time (holiday, Friday night, winter). Surge pricing is based on neighborhoods now, so drivers might not sit around Logan if they could make more driving downtown.

I would check UberX at baggage claim, and just take a taxi if a car is not around. The tunnel toll is $5.25 and Uber adds another $8.75 ($5.50 as an uber fee, $3.25 to cover the airport limo surcharge).
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
I wouldn't bother with public transportation for such a short trip, especially as the SL doesn't go right to the hotel.

UberX would be the cheapest option, but it might take a while to get a car at that time of night if you can find one at all. There should be plenty of Uber black cars available, but that would cost a lot more. However, both could have surge pricing at that time (holiday, Friday night, winter). Surge pricing is based on neighborhoods now, so drivers might not sit around Logan if they could make more driving downtown.

I would check UberX at baggage claim, and just take a taxi if a car is not around. The tunnel toll is $5.25 and Uber adds another $8.75 ($5.50 as an uber fee, $3.25 to cover the airport limo surcharge).
Thanks for the tidbit. Felt the same on taking public transportation since it'll more than likely be cold and don't feel like wheeling a bag down a possibly iced sidewalk.

I've been reading up on Uber and noticed that really hit the surge pricing hard on NYE. Hopefully it won't be as bad as V-night.

So Uber adds the $5.25 tunnel toll and $8.75 fee on top of the Fare Quote, correct?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
So Uber adds the $5.25 tunnel toll and $8.75 fee on top of the Fare Quote, correct?
Not sure if the fare quote feature correctly factors in the above charges. Total cost should be about $30 for UberX with tolls/fees, if I had to guess.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if the fare quote feature correctly factors in the above charges. Total cost should be about $30 for UberX with tolls/fees, if I had to guess.
Cool, thanks. Lucky for me, I have $40 in Uber promo bucks to use.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
One option, before you order an uber car, is to walk over to the Silver Line boarding area and see how long the wait would be. There are electronic signs indicating when the next bus will arrive. (That said, if you don't mind the cost, uber will save you time and deliver you right to the hotel.)
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Save yourself the trouble and just pick up a cab from the airport. I'd say you'll see the total to be about $30-35 for a taxi to the Hilton.
Old May 5, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
[QUOTE=will2288;22234620]I wouldn't bother with public transportation for such a short trip, especially as the SL doesn't go right to the hotel. QUOTE]

Would you be willing to share more about the SL for a short trip? We were planning on taking either that or the Blue Line from BOS to the HIE near the TD center in July. We'll be landing mid-morning and would like to make the most of our short time in the city, about 2 days.
Old May 5, 2014, 1:23 pm

[QUOTE=McNandez;22814296]
I wouldn't bother with public transportation for such a short trip, especially as the SL doesn't go right to the hotel. QUOTE]

Would you be willing to share more about the SL for a short trip? We were planning on taking either that or the Blue Line from BOS to the HIE near the TD center in July. We'll be landing mid-morning and would like to make the most of our short time in the city, about 2 days.
Both options would be very similar in time. The Blue Line way requires an airport bus to the airport T station, while the Silver Line picks up directly at the terminal. The Silver Line is a 'nice' bus and has luggage racks. It will go directly into South Station where you can change to the Red Line.

I would say take the Silver Line because it is currently free when coming from the airport, and it includes a free transfer to the Red Line. You should be in air conditioned places the entire time, but if you have a lot of luggage, you might find it worthwhile to spend the $30ish on a taxi or UberX.

Enjoy your trip to Boston.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Might consider Blue Line for that trip

If you're looking for the transit option headed towards the TD Garden, the Blue Line might be the easiest option if you're up for a 7-8 minute walk on the other end. Due to the closure of Government Center (Green Line transfer), Bowdoin Station (the downtown end of the Blue Line) is open at all hours now. From Bowdoin Station, Google Maps indicates a 7 minute walk to the HI Express on Friend St. I'd say that's probably conservative, especially if your bags are light. It's about 0.3-0.4 miles.*

The Blue Line isn't free like the Silver Line is at the airport ($2.50 per person ticket, $2.00 if able to get a Charlie Card), but it'll be a pretty quick trip from Airport Station to Bowdoin. You'll have to take the Massport shuttle from the terminal to the Airport Station, but if you take the Silver Line, you'll need to transfer to the Red Line, and then to the Green or Orange to North Station to end up near the HI Express.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
[QUOTE=will2288;22814383]
Originally Posted by McNandez

Both options would be very similar in time. The Blue Line way requires an airport bus to the airport T station, while the Silver Line picks up directly at the terminal. The Silver Line is a 'nice' bus and has luggage racks. It will go directly into South Station where you can change to the Red Line.

I would say take the Silver Line because it is currently free when coming from the airport, and it includes a free transfer to the Red Line. You should be in air conditioned places the entire time, but if you have a lot of luggage, you might find it worthwhile to spend the $30ish on a taxi or UberX.

Enjoy your trip to Boston.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by octr202
If you're looking for the transit option headed towards the TD Garden, the Blue Line might be the easiest option if you're up for a 7-8 minute walk on the other end. Due to the closure of Government Center (Green Line transfer), Bowdoin Station (the downtown end of the Blue Line) is open at all hours now. From Bowdoin Station, Google Maps indicates a 7 minute walk to the HI Express on Friend St. I'd say that's probably conservative, especially if your bags are light. It's about 0.3-0.4 miles.*

The Blue Line isn't free like the Silver Line is at the airport ($2.50 per person ticket, $2.00 if able to get a Charlie Card), but it'll be a pretty quick trip from Airport Station to Bowdoin. You'll have to take the Massport shuttle from the terminal to the Airport Station, but if you take the Silver Line, you'll need to transfer to the Red Line, and then to the Green or Orange to North Station to end up near the HI Express.
Thanks for the input! We hadn't considered Bowdoin station. Our bags will be light, and we're in fairly good shape, so if we're up for a walk, that could be an interesting introduction to the city.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:54 am

Bowden is a good idea, since you would not have to change subway lines. Actually, North Station on the green line trolley is the closest stop to the hostel.

Certainly you can a GPS it, but from Bowdon you'd be walking downhill (uphill is Beacon Hill) on a wide, sometimes windy street (New Chardon Street) toward the North End Italian neighborhood. On the left at the bottom of the street/hill, you would see a small parking lot with its trailer office. Just behind it are several parallel streets that run into Causeway Street (where the TDGarden is); pass Portland Street and Friend is the next one. Turn left. The street can sometimes look a bit sketchy (begging homeless folks), but is safe.

It's a good base from which to explore. Lots of sights within reasonable walking distance. Have fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.