Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
I've tried searching, but searching for the One Two Free program is difficult as the search engine knocks out the integral words.

Anyhow, Can I combine a One Two Free coupon with Free Days I have accrued on normal rentals? I can not seem to get the website to allow me to do so.

Thanks
Josh
You know how when you were growing up and some kids on the playground didn't play well together....? Well neither do most coupons.
For the most part the only coupons that can be used in multiples are your standard EC free day coupons you earn through rental credits. Normally you can only use ONE coupon at a time. EC members are special and they get to combine "certain" coupons as one of their Perks.
I know times are tough but they are for businesses too. We can't afford to give away the farm even for our most loyal customers. But we Thank you for remaining loyal when you can!
Old Apr 10, 2009, 4:46 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
Anyhow, Can I combine a One Two Free coupon with Free Days I have accrued on normal rentals? I can not seem to get the website to allow me to do so.
You can use up to 3 of the 1-2-Free coupons on one rental but you cannot combine any with a Free Day that's banked in your account.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:32 pm

Where are the Luxury Cars?

Does anyone know if National/Alamo stopped carrying Luxury Cars?

I have looked at April/May and cannot find any Luxury Cars avaliable for several dates...I checked BWI,IAD,DCA,PHL,PIT,CLE since im within a few hours of all those airports and have not found anything...I have rented them for years and have never had any trouble...Any info would be appreciated!
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
Is there a penalty for turning in the car early or do the rates change? For example if I book a rental to keep the rental overnight on a saturday but return the car the same day.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by landsend
Does anyone know if National/Alamo stopped carrying Luxury Cars?

I have looked at April/May and cannot find any Luxury Cars avaliable for several dates...I checked BWI,IAD,DCA,PHL,PIT,CLE since im within a few hours of all those airports and have not found anything...I have rented them for years and have never had any trouble...Any info would be appreciated!
No they've not Stopped carrying them. It's just that market availability has created a situation that there aren't that many of the Traditional Luxury car available...so in some markets there might not be as many available, hence they are Sold Out.
I know in Phx we are in a Sold Out status on our Lux Cars much of the time, just meaning if you weren't reserved in one upon arrival you might not get one last minute. However now that things are beginning to slow down a bit Lux Cars are opening up a bit. It's SUV's and Minivans that are still tough to get a hold of without a prior res.

So the Lux's are there...keep trying. I know it's frustrating. In the meantime, try a Premium. What is it that a Lux has that you don't think you can get in a Premium in the meantime? At least you can get your foot in the door and if they by chance have a couple extra Lux available on your day of arrival you could upgrade! Just a thought. People book like that all the time.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by earny
Is there a penalty for turning in the car early or do the rates change? For example if I book a rental to keep the rental overnight on a saturday but return the car the same day.
Rates are TIME driven...and have minimum/maximum keep parameters. The short answer to your question is Probably YES if you said you were going to Keep it over a Saturday and did Not, Yes your rate would probably change.

Without looking at the details of your exact res, I can't tell you for sure. I can only guess based on past experience with other renter's reservations I've processes over the past 11 years.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by Paminaz
No they've not Stopped carrying them. It's just that market availability has created a situation that there aren't that many of the Traditional Luxury car available...so in some markets there might not be as many available, hence they are Sold Out.
I know in Phx we are in a Sold Out status on our Lux Cars much of the time, just meaning if you weren't reserved in one upon arrival you might not get one last minute. However now that things are beginning to slow down a bit Lux Cars are opening up a bit. It's SUV's and Minivans that are still tough to get a hold of without a prior res.

So the Lux's are there...keep trying. I know it's frustrating. In the meantime, try a Premium. What is it that a Lux has that you don't think you can get in a Premium in the meantime? At least you can get your foot in the door and if they by chance have a couple extra Lux available on your day of arrival you could upgrade! Just a thought. People book like that all the time.
I've run into this problem at SEA as well. I was looking to redeem a free day on one for my birthday but I could only book Premium. As far as what Lux has that premium doesn't, I'm just looking for something fun to tour around in for the day. I don't care what category it is really, but I want something sporty like a CTS, G8 GT, or 300C.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
I've run into this problem at SEA as well. I was looking to redeem a free day on one for my birthday but I could only book Premium. As far as what Lux has that premium doesn't, I'm just looking for something fun to tour around in for the day. I don't care what category it is really, but I want something sporty like a CTS, G8 GT, or 300C.

Was pricing one way rentals out of SEA to SFO mid May.. Luxury was a choice.

Ron.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
I've been renting from National in Europe (specifically UK) fairly frequently lately... and I just noticed that I'm not getting credit to my account for those rentals? They have my emerald club number on check in.

Seems that in Europe the value propositions I have come to expect from National (quick processing, choice of car, etc) are totally lacking. Doesn't seem differentiated from any other rental company to me.

So, I'm not getting points, and the product is average. Why maintain the brand in Europe at all? Just make it all Alamo.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSP2SEA
I've been renting from National in Europe (specifically UK) fairly frequently lately... and I just noticed that I'm not getting credit to my account for those rentals? They have my emerald club number on check in.
That's correct. Emerald Club T&Cs, excerpted:

Members attain their Membership Level (described below ) based upon the number of vehicle rentals with, or the number of days they rent a vehicle from, National Car Rental in each calendar year in the US or Canada.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's correct. Emerald Club T&Cs, excerpted:

Members attain their Membership Level (described below ) based upon the number of vehicle rentals with, or the number of days they rent a vehicle from, National Car Rental in each calendar year in the US or Canada.

Yeah, I get it. Not sure why I would maintain loyalty to the program over there. Frankly, I won't.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by MSP2SEA
Yeah, I get it. Not sure why I would maintain loyalty to the program over there. Frankly, I won't.
I've quoted rentals at LHR recently and I only shop on price. Over here I might go with national to get Aisle selection if it's only a handful more than the cheapest.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:47 am

Luxury at SEA - June 13th

So as I reported earlier, I can't book a Luxury car on June 13th in SEA. However, I can book one for one day starting on either June 12th or June 14th. And if I try the following or preceding Saturday for one day, I can book a Lux. So what's going on?

Is it inventory counting day at SEA for luxury cars on the 13th?
Is the Luxury Rental Car Enthusiasts Club of America blowing into town?

I'm just curious as I'd prefer to use my Free Day for that, as in my mind it gives me the maximum range of choice. I'm permitted to take a Luxury car without question, or I can downgrade to Premium if I see something there I prefer.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:11 pm

I have a question regarding timing....

I'm picking up the car @ 2:30PM on a Friday and returning it at 4:00PM on the next Monday. Unfortunately, the website wants to charge me an insane hourly rate for the 1.5 hours over the 3 days that I will have the vehicle.

Is there any way around this? We are literally talking only an hour and a half....is there any grace period with either picking up and/or returning the car?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
The grace period is 29 minutes. So if you can keep it to 1:29 or less, you'll only pay for an extra hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.