Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:33 pm

Programs: aeroplan,amex platinum,hilton honours, emerald club elite, priority club
Originally Posted by geekpilot
Question: I booked a mid-size using the Alamo $10 a day ($14 a day for Mid-Size) car this weekend in Vegas starting Saturday and returning Monday. If I wanted to extend the rental (advising the Station prior to the rental or prior to the expected return time) to Tuesday would it be at the current rate ($14 a day) or the going rate at the time? I fly non-rev and might want to stay an extra night.
It will change the entire rate, from day one. In otherwords you will not get the 2days at $10 and then the 3rd day at x amount. Your entire rate will be different. Try it online and you will see what I mean. It wont qualify for the $10 promo. IF you are going to be in town, I suggest, rent it for 2 days at the $10/day rate and book a seperate reservation for the Monday. go into the office on Monday, close your current RA and re- rent (the same or different) car for the 1 day
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:40 pm

Thanks. I assumed that was the case. When I try to add one day the rate literally triples. Yowzers. Must be some convention in town, everyone is high.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:11 pm

Hey rentalguy,

I've got a National/Alamo question for you. Did you see my thread titled, "Alamo hpn?" My question was, Avis, Hertz, and Budget fleets have a large variety of out-of-state cars at Westchester Airport. By contrast, the Alamo fleet has almost all NJ cars, with one or two from NY. Yet, Alamo usually has the best one-way rates. So, where are all those out-of-state cars everyone's been getting a good deal on? When I passed by the Newark Airport Alamo/National lot, I saw more out-of-state cars there. Do all the long one-way rentals get sent there for service?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: aeroplan,amex platinum,hilton honours, emerald club elite, priority club
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Hey rentalguy,

I've got a National/Alamo question for you. Did you see my thread titled, "Alamo hpn?" My question was, Avis, Hertz, and Budget fleets have a large variety of out-of-state cars at Westchester Airport. By contrast, the Alamo fleet has almost all NJ cars, with one or two from NY. Yet, Alamo usually has the best one-way rates. So, where are all those out-of-state cars everyone's been getting a good deal on? When I passed by the Newark Airport Alamo/National lot, I saw more out-of-state cars there. Do all the long one-way rentals get sent there for service?
The cheap one way rentals everyone is talking about are coming out of Florida to the high demand areas. As spring hits and March break is over demand in FLA drops and picks up in other areas of the country so National offers cheap rates to move them where they want the cars to go. I cant speak specifically to Westchester, all I can say is maybe there isnt a lot of demand for one way rentals to there. I'm not at work, but its possible that this is a franchise location and as such you wouldnt have the one way fleet movement that you would from corporate locations. I can check tomorrow for you and let you know.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
What is the view/policy on holding two cars from different locations at the same time? I am looking at a rental to get to/from out of the way airport and letting it sit in the parking lot while I am gone and having another rental at the destination. I would be keeping the car out because it is cheaper than two one way rentals.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:11 am

Nice to hear from you, carrentalguy. Actually, I've seen that Alamo has excellent one-way rates across the nation to and from any location, compared to Hertz, Budget, and Avis, including at Westchester Airport. For instance, if I wanted to take a car from Westchester Airport to Chicago, lets say, or Los Angeles, Alamo is cheapest. A reverse rental into Westchester Airport from almost anywhere in the country is also cheapest with Alamo.

FYI, it's interesting that rates into hpn are typically lower than hpn to somewhere else. For the sake of argument, let's choose some obscure place people are less likely to visit. Ex, hpn to Iowa = $130/day, Iowa to hpn = $73/day. Statistically speaking, shouldn't this result in some cars from across the country inevitably showing up at hpn at some point?

There was one strange time, when I saw a Buick with Ontario plates parked off to the side. I don't know which rental company it belonged to, but I was wondering if this was a case where they would have to send the car back. But, if that was the case, why are rentals from hpn to Toronto and vice versa allowed in the first place and even relatively cheap?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 1:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Hey rentalguy, are you from National's Corporate HQ, or are you a local manager, like one of our other members, pam?
drzoidberg...I think RENTALGUY missed your question...I'm rather curious myself! And to set the record straight...I'm a LONG time Agent, not a manager. Though I Thank You for the promotion!
No I haven't disappeared, I wasn't able to participate much while I was working in Honolulu...I had nearly No internet access while in Hawaii.

I'm back in PHX and have been busy as heck during our season here. I'm quite glad Rentalguy is helping pick up the slack. The nice part is, since he's a manager he's got internet access all day and can stay on top of everyone's questions better than I can...hence faster responses. That's All Good for everyone here. But I'm beginning to feel I'm no longer needed...you all found a new "hookup."

I'll be lurking...and toss in my "two cents" from time to time. I'm still your eyes and ears for PHX of course.
And Welcome Rentalguy! I'm the Pam they make Reference to from time to time.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paminaz
drzoidberg...I think RENTALGUY missed your question...I'm rather curious myself! And to set the record straight...I'm a LONG time Agent, not a manager. Though I Thank You for the promotion!
No I haven't disappeared, I wasn't able to participate much while I was working in Honolulu...I had nearly No internet access while in Hawaii.

I'm back in PHX and have been busy as heck during our season here. I'm quite glad Rentalguy is helping pick up the slack.
Hey Pam,

Welcome back to the continental US. Hope you had an enjoyable "vacation" out in Hawaii. I wasn't sure if you were a manager or not, but I thought I'd err on the side of caution.

Now there are two National employees here, excellent, maybe we'll all receive complimentary lifetime EE status.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:31 am
Suspended

Hey Pam,

Welcome back to the continental US. Hope you had an enjoyable "vacation" out in Hawaii. I wasn't sure if you were a manager or not, but I thought I'd err on the side of caution.

Now there are two National employees here, excellent, maybe we'll all receive complimentary lifetime EE status.
Hmmm...11 hour days at work...Vacation? I may have been in Honolulu but that's not my idea of vacation. I actually didn't get a chance to see A Lot. Only got to the beach twice. Rainy season in Dec/Jan ya know. My days off and the Rain were not on the same schedule. LOL
Great people at the HNL location. They have their issues with such a small location. Sure was a shocker coming from PHX! I think their whole location could fit in the National Emerald Aisle. But I was working the Alamo Brand only while there as we share resources including employees.
No we won't be working on the Enterprise Brand anytime soon. Different Business model over there.

Yes nice to be back on the mainland. Mahalo! (Thank you!)
Oh and if I could hand out lifetime EE's to my gang here in FT...heck I'd do it for Christmas. Alas it's not in my power.

Until I'm needed....I'm lurking...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:40 am

As a new Executive member, I have been a little disappointed in the selection of cars in the aisle. Is it out of line to ask an employee for a certain car, such as an Altima/Avalon/Highlander/whatever? If not, should I just hang out for 30 minutes, hoping such a car is brought out? I would not ask for a car that would be out of line for the EA, just different selection.

Past couple times I have gone to EA/EC, there have been 5 cars max.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Spac3d; Mar 24, 2009 at 9:53 am
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spac3d
As a new Executive member, I have been a little disappointed in the selection of cars in the aisle. Is it out of line to ask an employee for a certain car, such as an Altima/Avalon/Highlander/whatever? If not, should I just hang out for 30 minutes, hoping such a car is brought out? I would not ask for a car that would be out of line for the EA, just different selection.

Thanks for the input!
ANd to add to Spac3d's question, is it out of line to tip an attendant into retrieve a better car from the wash?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:43 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Pam - welcome back Please feel free to post especially since you're at a "major" US location and I believe that rentalguy is at a Canadian location - so there might still be small differences. You're both an asset to this board
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spac3d

Thanks for the input!
When the selection is small that means, normally, that utilization is HIGH. There are just not that many cars available to allow for the choosing. Sorry. They are all out on rent. I know it's great when there are many makes and models to chose from but there are times when there are things going on in a city that puts most of the fleet on the road. Like right now in PHX we are in "season" so the choices are few most of the time.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:38 am
Suspended

ANd to add to Spac3d's question, is it out of line to tip an attendant into retrieve a better car from the wash?
It would be better to ask to speak to a manager first to see what the current situation is...as the production crew has specific duties to attend to and they could find themselves in hot water without prior direction from a manager.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by peteropny
Pam - welcome back Please feel free to post especially since you're at a "major" US location and I believe that rentalguy is at a Canadian location - so there might still be small differences. You're both an asset to this board
Thanks for the Warm welcome Back, Peter. It was a bit strange being on an island that was smaller than the city of Phx "proper."

I won't shy away from participating but Rentalguy has beat me to the punch in most cases...which is fine by me. It's nice to have someone else to help keep everyone informed in here. I like keeping everyone a better informed consumer of the brand(s)...and clear up any misconsceptions when I can. Not everything is "black and white" in rental-car land. I know everyone is figuring that out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.