Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by trainman74
You'll have to specifically request an SUV. (Which is always the case if you need an SUV, even at Aisle locations, since you're never guaranteed to find an SUV on the Aisle.)

Since you're an Exec, if you have an SUV reservation, the location will most likely "set aside" a nicer-than-average SUV for you (lower mileage and/or better options), although if you don't like whatever model it is, feel free to ask what other SUVs they have available.
Thanks I understand the whole "it's not guaranteed thing", but the problem is that I found a prepaid rate for an SUV with Avis that is less than half the price of what National is asking. I'd like to give my business to National (and their midsize rate is still cheaper), but I can't take the risk of getting the standard mid-size Toyota Corolla.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: IC Plat Amb, Kimpton Inner Circle, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by mattolo
Thanks I understand the whole "it's not guaranteed thing", but the problem is that I found a prepaid rate for an SUV with Avis that is less than half the price of what National is asking. I'd like to give my business to National (and their midsize rate is still cheaper), but I can't take the risk of getting the standard mid-size Toyota Corolla.
You could always try calling the location and negotiating directly with them. I'd try basically what you said above - "I'd like to give my business to National, but your rate is double your competition; can you work with me?"
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:33 am

Sorry if this has been asked in this thread before, but my Exec status expires at the end of February. I just made a reservation for a rental in March. My reservations shows that i can choose from the ES. Since my status expires prior to the reservation will I still be able to choose from the ES?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mattolo
Agree with former poster that you can talk to the location - but the reality is that you are still at somewhat of a risk unless they are willing to match exactly with a prepaid ressie at the same price...and even then - can be issues with a "one off" deal.

IMO, if you absolutely need a large SUV, you are better off just booking it through Avis and be done with it.

YMMV
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:58 pm

Another quick question... Is the $50 fee to join the Emerald Club an ANNUAL fee or a one-time fee? Different explanations of the system seem to indicate differently. Also, when I look at my status on National's site (I am just plain EA, not EE) it says that my status doesn't expire until 31-Dec-2037. Does anyone have a definitive answer?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
Quick question.. I know as an Exec member you choose from our lanes or if we feel the need we can ask the greeter if we can take something from somewhere else...My question is ( and i'm not saying i would do this i'm just wondering) when you get to the gate is their anything that alerts them that the car your in was parked in the ES lane or anywhere else???
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:16 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Another quick question... Is the $50 fee to join the Emerald Club an ANNUAL fee or a one-time fee? Different explanations of the system seem to indicate differently. Also, when I look at my status on National's site (I am just plain EA, not EE) it says that my status doesn't expire until 31-Dec-2037. Does anyone have a definitive answer?
I believe that it is one-time - although there are usually "free" links that can be found.

Originally Posted by DODiraq
Quick question.. I know as an Exec member you choose from our lanes or if we feel the need we can ask the greeter if we can take something from somewhere else...My question is ( and i'm not saying i would do this i'm just wondering) when you get to the gate is their anything that alerts them that the car your in was parked in the ES lane or anywhere else???
The hangtag in the car - which gives the car inventory number and mileage - has a box that can be checked off if the car was in EA or ES (often times not checked though - PHX is an example of a location which does this right by placing a sticker saying "enjoy your upgrade" or something like that) to indicate that the car came from there.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
Originally Posted by peteropny
I believe that it is one-time - although there are usually "free" links that can be found.

The hangtag in the car - which gives the car inventory number and mileage - has a box that can be checked off if the car was in EA or ES (often times not checked though - PHX is an example of a location which does this right by placing a sticker saying "enjoy your upgrade" or something like that) to indicate that the car came from there.
Thanks ..I'm actually flying out there (phx) in a few weeks and i would like to hopefully get something extra nice..
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Question, sorry if it's already been asked:

Is there any way to avoid human interaction while renting with National both picking up and returning the car? I am an Emerald Club member (just regular). Can you just go to a kiosk, pick your car and not talk to anyone?

I am under 25, will the kiosk be able to recognize that?

This question is specifically for SEA.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Question, sorry if it's already been asked:

Is there any way to avoid human interaction while renting with National both picking up and returning the car? I am an Emerald Club member (just regular). Can you just go to a kiosk, pick your car and not talk to anyone?

I am under 25, will the kiosk be able to recognize that?

This question is specifically for SEA.
There is no way to avoid all human contact - with Emerald Club (for locations with EA / ES) after you pick your car, you drive to the exit booth and hand them your driver's license & credit card - which they'll swipe to check you out along with information from the car hangtag - even if you go to a kiosk, you'll still have to present the "contract" to the exit booth agent.

When returning, you can avoid human contact if you just leave the car without getting a printout of the receipt - I wouldn't recommend this since there have been reports of errors in return processed (wrong time returned translating into inflated charges) as well as no defense if they claimed you damaged the car later on (at least if you have a receipt, the return agent should have done a cursory walk around of the car).
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
There is no way to avoid all human contact - with Emerald Club (for locations with EA / ES) after you pick your car, you drive to the exit booth and hand them your driver's license & credit card - which they'll swipe to check you out along with information from the car hangtag - even if you go to a kiosk, you'll still have to present the "contract" to the exit booth agent.

When returning, you can avoid human contact if you just leave the car without getting a printout of the receipt - I wouldn't recommend this since there have been reports of errors in return processed (wrong time returned translating into inflated charges) as well as no defense if they claimed you damaged the car later on (at least if you have a receipt, the return agent should have done a cursory walk around of the car).
Oh cool, thanks for the response.

When my father used the kiosk at Hertz once it was exactly as you described, except he swiped his license and credit card through the kiosk and the gate agent only scanned the contract and a barcode on the car.

I am getting the LDW with the car so if I leave it it should be alright right?

Also, I am new to Emerald Club, can I look at my receipt's online?

The only reason I ask is because I may or may not be using a janky discount and I want to have the best possible chance of no red flags being raised.

Thanks for all of the help.

Last edited by StevenSeagalFan; Jan 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
I am getting the LDW with the car so if I leave it it should be alright right?

Also, I am new to Emerald Club, can I look at my receipt's online?

The only reason I ask is because I may or may not be using a janky discount and I want to have the best possible chance of no red flags being raised.
LDW is included with your discount code? If you are not authorized for that code (through your college / employer etc.), it's risky since if there is damage and they investigate, they may deny the LDW leaving you with the damages (and your own insurance / credit card may not cover it since you weren't authorized to use that code) - YMMV on this issue.

National emails you the receipt (in PDF form) and is stored in your "rental history".
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Poster

I agree, misrepresentation on your part while filling out the rental contract may void it in the event of an accident, and your credit card/insurance could possibly refuse to cover it, leaving you on the hook for all damages and monetary costs.

Just something to think about.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I agree, misrepresentation on your part while filling out the rental contract may void it in the event of an accident, and your credit card/insurance could possibly refuse to cover it, leaving you on the hook for all damages and monetary costs.

Just something to think about.
Yeah I was thinking about that, the LDW is included in the code, the only reason I want LDW is not for an accident, but for dings/scratches, my personal insurance policy would cover an accident. I would figure if there is a scratch or something extremely minor, they're not going to launch a full on investigation.

My 2nd question would be if I was using a code that doesn't include LDW but had other savings and paid for the LDW myself, would they still be able to refuse to cover something even though I paid for the LDW but was not authorized for the savings?

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:31 pm

It could be a slippery situation. Do you have any credit cards with rental protection? I know Chase Freedom's Mastercard offers it with a pretty vanilla, no annual fee card. Also, if your personal auto insurance covers an accident chances are they would cover smaller damage too, though then you get into deductibles and all that fun stuff.

This is a huge YMMV situation, and that "mileage" could potentially get quite expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.