Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
I got a great rate on the premium--it was only about $10 more than a fullsize (which was only about $5 more than a midsize).

I thought I'd seen some reference to the rate being lowered if you drive off in something smaller than you'd reserved:
Tuneman's experience is atypical, probably a result of an agent mistakenly marking the Taurus as a full-size and placing it in the Premium aisle.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Jul 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Some days you guys just don't need me at all do you?

If we get really short on Agents in Phx I'm going to see if we can put Peter and drzoidberg to work! Oh wait...we are hiring right now.....Oh Guys....Can we talk? ;-)

P
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Tuneman's experience is atypical, probably a result of an agent mistakenly marking the Taurus as a full-size and placing it in the Premium aisle.
Ah, thanks. That makes more sense and is what I would have assumed had I not seen that post by Tuneman.

If they try to give me a 300LX as a Luxury, I think I'll walk over to Dollar and get my midsize for 1/2 the price of National's midsize. (I'm not normally a fan of double-booking, but when they are charging me double for the same thing, it needs to be worth it...)
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paminaz
Some days you guys just don't need me at all do you?

If we get really short on Agents in Phx I'm going to see if we can put Peter and drzoidberg to work! Oh wait...we are hiring right now.....Oh Guys....Can we talk? ;-)

P
Heh, glad to help. Although, lifetime EE wouldn't hurt
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Ah, thanks. That makes more sense and is what I would have assumed had I not seen that post by Tuneman.

If they try to give me a 300LX as a Luxury, I think I'll walk over to Dollar and get my midsize for 1/2 the price of National's midsize. (I'm not normally a fan of double-booking, but when they are charging me double for the same thing, it needs to be worth it...)
Don't forget to check National's last minute specials and/or rebook using the baseline Emerald Club Contract ID 5001725 a day beforehand- I've received a lot of very cheap rates with those.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Emerald Club/ Emerald Aisle

I have never rented from National before, having always used Avis Preferred or Hertz Gold. I don't understand their Emerald Club & Emerald Aisle service. I always reserve a full size car- that's the size car I have to have. I want to always bypass the counter at major airports such as DEN & SFO. I don't understand what the Emerald Aisle Service is- it says I have to reserve a midsize and then can pick from any car. But another section on their website says this seems to apply only to those with status in the Emerald Club.

All I want to do is reserve a full size car, go directly to the lot and to the full size car reserved for me, show my license at the gate, and drive off. Will joining the Emerald Club without any status achieve this?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:50 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I have never rented from National before, having always used Avis Preferred or Hertz Gold. I don't understand their Emerald Club & Emerald Aisle service. I always reserve a full size car- that's the size car I have to have. I want to always bypass the counter at major airports such as DEN & SFO. I don't understand what the Emerald Aisle Service is- it says I have to reserve a midsize and then can pick from any car. But another section on their website says this seems to apply only to those with status in the Emerald Club.

All I want to do is reserve a full size car, go directly to the lot and to the full size car reserved for me, show my license at the gate, and drive off. Will joining the Emerald Club without any status achieve this?
Quick answer yes - if you're Emerald Club you can pick your car (from the class you reserved and check out at the exit). Also, as Emerald Club member on a mid-size reservation you are also entitled to pick from Emerald Aisle which may have upgrades from mid-size which you won't be charged for. Executive (and Exec Elite) members (status tier) are also entitled to pick from Executive Selection on a full-size reservation (for which you are charged one class below - mid-size) where it is likely that there will be upgraded cars which you won't be charged for.

Note that this only applies to locations with Emerald Aisle service (most major airports).
Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:53 pm

Thanks for the fast response. I signed up and made a reservation. One more quick question. I will be using an Entertainment Book discount coupon (one free day). Both the coupon and my reservation say that I must present the coupon at the time I rent the car. Does this mean I have to stop at the counter at DEN even though I am an Emerald member? I had a problem once with Hertz when they absolutely would not accept a coupon when I returned the car. Having to stop before renting the car sort of defeats the purpose of these "bypass the counter" programs.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Thanks for the fast response. I signed up and made a reservation. One more quick question. I will be using an Entertainment Book discount coupon (one free day). Both the coupon and my reservation say that I must present the coupon at the time I rent the car. Does this mean I have to stop at the counter at DEN even though I am an Emerald member? I had a problem once with Hertz when they absolutely would not accept a coupon when I returned the car. Having to stop before renting the car sort of defeats the purpose of these "bypass the counter" programs.
National applies their coupons at time of rental. Since you are Emerald Club, there is no need to stop at the counter. As a matter of fact, the check-out person probably won't ask for the physical coupon either but it is a good idea to have it with you just in case. Coupon should be reflected on your receipt but if not (I've never had a problem) ask that it be adjusted.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
National Exec Elite, Renting with Alamo

I need a car for 2 weeks. National is $900, Alamo is $500. If I go with Alamo do I get credit with National?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Akulashark
I need a car for 2 weeks. National is $900, Alamo is $500. If I go with Alamo do I get credit with National?
Nope.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:25 pm

car rental at las

if i rent a car from alamo in las vegas can i drive it to the grand canyon and also do some driving in arizona. Or do i have to let them know this before hand and pay extra . Thx
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by jseuss
if i rent a car from alamo in las vegas can i drive it to the grand canyon and also do some driving in arizona. Or do i have to let them know this before hand and pay extra . Thx
Most rentals now are for unlimited miles - just make sure your reservation says such - you'll be fine since you're not crossing into Mexico or Canada.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
In the increasingly rare event that driving distances are restricted, the rule of thumb is usually unlimited mileage in the states bordering the state of rental and possible charges if you exceed that distance.

So, if this were the rule for Vegas, you'd be allowed unlimited mileage in California, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Oregon, in which case you'd be fine, too.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:55 pm

Driving On Gravel Road

I will be renting a car in DEN and driving through Rocky Mountain National Park. One route I could select (the old Fall River Road) is 11 miles of gravel road. I seem to remember that some car rental companies stipulate that a car cannot be driven on other than a paved road. Does National have such a stipulation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.