Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Hey rentalguy, are you from National's Corporate HQ, or are you a local manager, like one of our other members, pam?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: aeroplan,amex platinum,hilton honours, emerald club elite, priority club
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I have always enjoyed getting Volvos and Volkswagens from the Executive Selection when renting from National. In fact, this has driven a lot of loyalty from me. Can we expect to continue to see European cars on the Aisles or should I reset my expectations (and perhaps my rental dollars) for Nissans, Toyotas and those GMs?
Will probably being seeing more, we simply cant get the quantities and fleet deals from GM Chrysler that we used to. At the same time the European cars are more expensive so expect to see some rate increases. Models, quantities will depend on the specifc market so I cant say that you'll see more VOLVO's (for example) everywhere.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Thanks rentalguy, I never knew Alamo was of such importance!
I think the generic set-up is:

National - Business Travellers
Alamo - Leisure Travellers
Enterprise - Local Renters (i.e. bodyshop, insurance replacement)

That's not to say there isn't some crossover, but that's how they've set themselves up. That and as rentalguy suggested, different brands have different loyalties depending where the traveller originates from.

It's a similar case with Dollar-Thrifty. They've started merging their counterspace in Canada as the Thrifty brand is what Canadian travellers recognize, whereas the Dollar brand commands a high level of American travellers, generally speaking.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by rentalguy
Hi Ritz,

The 2 systems are not going to be integrated so to speak as National's system is designed for quick rental transactions and is cumbersome to use for split billings and insurance claims etc while Enetrprise is desgined exactly for that function but not so much for an airport type business traveller. HAving said that, Enterprise locations that are located on airports will be moving to National's computer system, in order to facilitate some of that corporate travel. Training of the ERAC employees has already started in select US test markets. For now, the customer profiles are completely seperated.

With respect to the 1, 2 Free promo, it was designed to faciliate more rental tranactions as opposed to rental days. You will still get your usual rental day credits based on the duration of your rental for your normal elite qualification but for the 1, 2 Free, its based on transactions. Having said that, it wouldnt hurt to call the Emerald Club customer service line and see what they can do for you. Or, talk to your local manager where you are renting from. They may be able to offer you a couple free days, but I doubt much more beyond that, because in effect with this promo, you can double dip.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the great info, rentalguy. Its great to you have on here - and nice to hear things from another perspective.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Hi rentalguy,

I think a common complaint amongst some of the Executive Elites on this board, is that other than the fact that they can get free days faster and free days can be used on luxury cars, there isn't much benefit to being an EE. E.g. no car upgrades when picking up. What kinds of upgrades, if any, can EEs expect when picking up a car? How far will the station manager go towards accomodating EE requests?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:22 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I think I'll try making this thread a sticky - so that hopefully some of the more common questions can be answered here.

peteropny - moderator - National
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:46 pm

Hi Suzanne,

. . . It depends on the rate product that was booked and the parameters tied into that. As long as you said it doesnt push you out of a weekend eligibility etc you should be fine. The key to all of this is to make sure when you book, you list your airline and flight number. Beleive it or not, we put a lot of stock in that for a number of reasons. If you dont pick up your rental, we'll look at the flight and see if it is delayed. If it is, we'll also wait for the flight to arrive before we close if it a late evening flight(some airports do shut down). By the same token if you are lets say 4 hours late picking up your rental, we'll check to see if the flight came in. If it did, and you didnt show up, we'll cancel the res. . . .
You last comment caused me some concern. Often when I am late arriving, it is because of a misconnect: the flight I expected to arrive on may have arrived on time, but for one reason or another I never made it onto that flight. Should I call the local rental agency when that happens to update my flight arrival information? Thanks for your help! -- Suzanne
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: aeroplan,amex platinum,hilton honours, emerald club elite, priority club
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO
You last comment caused me some concern. Often when I am late arriving, it is because of a misconnect: the flight I expected to arrive on may have arrived on time, but for one reason or another I never made it onto that flight. Should I call the local rental agency when that happens to update my flight arrival information? Thanks for your help! -- Suzanne
Where possible, yes. Even you can't update the flight info, update the pick up time (either on the website or by calling). As a rule, the company average for NO SHOWS with Alamo is around 20%. In otherwords 20% of Alamo customers that book don't show and don't call to cancel. As a result, anything more than 2 hrs old, we assume the customer isnt coming, and after 4hrs its usually cancelled. Again I am speaking generally as each market may cancel sooner or later. Once that happens, if you do come the agent isnt able to use your reservation which can cause rates changes/ issues etc.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Hi rentalguy,

I think a common complaint amongst some of the Executive Elites on this board, is that other than the fact that they can get free days faster and free days can be used on luxury cars, there isn't much benefit to being an EE. E.g. no car upgrades when picking up. What kinds of upgrades, if any, can EEs expect when picking up a car? How far will the station manager go towards accomodating EE requests?

Not sure what you mean that you don't get upgrades. EE get a guaranteed upgrade (book what you want up to a PCAR and pay 1 class less). If there is something specific you want when you arrive, definitely speak to the Emerald Greeter or a manager. Assuming they arent completely booked on a larger type vheicle most locations will be accomodating. I have worked in various cities over the years and we tried to make sure our EE's left happy, or at least we made sure our people tried. Again, it always pays to be nice vs. demanding. You are more likely to get a free- free (double)upgrade if your rental length is shorter. IF you have a 2 week booking for a full size, don't expect to roll out in a luxury car. But if its for lets say 2 or 3 days, and they are not tightly booked you're more likely to get it. Again YMMV depending on the location, time of year and demand for the car category you want.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:40 pm

I think I know the answer to this, but figured I would ask.

I'm Emerald Executive and currently booked a Premium for a week which is marked as Emerald Reserve. When I get to the airport, I know I should just walk to the Premium Emerald Reserve section, but if there is something in the Executive Aisle I want/like, can I take it instead?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr

I'm Emerald Executive and currently booked a Premium for a week which is marked as Emerald Reserve. When I get to the airport, I know I should just walk to the Premium Emerald Reserve section, but if there is something in the Executive Aisle I want/like, can I take it instead?

Short answer, YES . What airport are you flying into?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:13 am

Short answer, YES . What airport are you flying into?
MCO. I'm new to the Emerald Executive and we're taking a little vacation to Orlando.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC

I do this all the time.. if I take something lower, they change my Premium reservation to Full Size and I pay for a Mid Size.

Ron.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:11 pm

MCO. I'm new to the Emerald Executive and we're taking a little vacation to Orlando.

Grab whatever you like (no luxuries though MCO is our largest location in the world. You should have plenty of choices, our fleet size is over 20,000 cars in Orlando alone (yes, you read that correctly!).

Enjoy your vacation!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:53 pm

Question: I booked a mid-size using the Alamo $10 a day ($14 a day for Mid-Size) car this weekend in Vegas starting Saturday and returning Monday. If I wanted to extend the rental (advising the Station prior to the rental or prior to the expected return time) to Tuesday would it be at the current rate ($14 a day) or the going rate at the time? I fly non-rev and might want to stay an extra night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.