Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LIH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:22 pm

The Camaro with the 6cyl (undoubtedly what they had) actually isn't too rough on gas. I think I averaged about 26-27 on the freeway on one in Jan that had 300 miles on it at pickup (not broken in)..
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Is National located in the LIH terminal or off-site? I'm seeing conflicting info in various places on the web. Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by MileKing
Is National located in the LIH terminal or off-site? I'm seeing conflicting info in various places on the web. Thanks!
It is off-site, reached by shuttle bus from the terminal. Takes approx. 3-5 minutes to get there.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:57 pm

The address is 3073 Aukele St, Lihue, HI but you actually enter from Halau St. It is an Enterprise/National co-branded location.

Last edited by partsman_ba; Aug 19, 2013 at 4:58 pm Reason: screwed up URL
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:03 pm

... which makes their rates lower as they don't make you pay airport taxes. I got a 2 week, 1 day rental two years ago for $331.73 all told ($102.90/wk).
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
ES options were pretty pitiful last Sunday. They had one Altima and 4 Impalas. I took the one Impala that had an upgraded trim (leather seats & spoiler). I was on a pretty good rate though: $146.92 for a 5-day rental (incl. tax)
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:42 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
ES options were pretty pitiful last Sunday. They had one Altima and 4 Impalas. I took the one Impala that had an upgraded trim (leather seats & spoiler). I was on a pretty good rate though: $146.92 for a 5-day rental (incl. tax)
Similar selection Thursday 8/29 at 6 PM. ES was Altima, 2013 impala with sunroof but cloth seat, Chrysler minivan p, Chevy Equinox, and a Camaro coupe that someone just got. I took a Charger off EA. got a good rate also $138 for 4 days ai. The rest of the cars on the lots were mostly 2013 Imoalas ad Altimas. Notable standouts were a Camaro convertible and an Explorer.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: USAIR Platinum, National EA
Picked up 11/5 at 1040pm, just before closing time. EA had 3 altimas, 2 2013 impala LT AND LTZ and 2 chargers. ES had 1 2013 impala LTZ, 1 camaro hardtop one Altima and 1 captiva. I took an Altima as I had been wanting to try one.

Exchanged today. EA has 1 Altima, 1 challenger se and 1 2013 impala LTZ. ES had a 2013 Malibu LTZ, 2 2013 impala Ltz's and an Altima. I chose the challenger. Very small area but still nice to have the aisle service.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: No preference
Rented 9/26-10/4

Booked Midsize as ES. Needed accomodation for myself plus 4. Had several large SUVs on the lot, but all were supposedly pre-reserved. Grabbed a Jeep Compass and left my phone number with the lot attendant to call me if any of the larger SUVs became available. I didn't get 100 yds down the road when she called and said the 2013 Pathfinder was available. Room for 5 pax plus luggage with room to spare. Had 4x4 Lite as we got stuck at one point and could not get the 4wd to engage.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Terrible selection upon arriving 5/1 around 10pm.

EA - 6 total in the "aisle"
Dodge Journey SXT (What I took, wanted the space for my party)
3 Impalas all around 15k miles
2 Altimas - around 5k miles

None had Bluetooth or XM.

ES -
Jeep SUV (Can't recall, but I think Grand Cherokee)
Ford Fusion

EE -
Jeep Wrangler

I might try trading the vehicle, really would prefer to have bluetooth. I've never actually traded out a car - is it really a no questions asked, no hassle trade?
Old May 3, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by rybob1
None had Bluetooth or XM.
Moot point, but the Altima has Bluetooth phone and streaming. Also sat radio is useless in Hawaii.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by qs933
Moot point, but the Altima has Bluetooth phone and streaming. Also sat radio is useless in Hawaii.
Good point on the Sat Radio - I knew that, just forget at times I think where I'm at That would explain why none have it. We ran into a problem with one of the tires running low on air, and took that as an opportunity to swap the vehicle. I'm now driving an altima, which is smaller than I would want, but will actually work pretty good. Yes it does have bluetooth, but I was surprised how many miles it had - 14k for a 2013.

Today wasn't much better on the aisle, 3 altimas, 1 Impala, a Jeep Compass.
ES had a wrangler and another compass, and the EE had the wrangler and a Challenger.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
I've lived on Kauai since February, and visited here 4 or 5 times in the 2.5 years prior, always renting from National. As an Executive or Executive Elite member, I've always been able to get good cars here, choosing from ES. I've had a Ford Edge, Ford Explorer, Jeep Wrangler, and a Dodge Charger in the past.

In early June, I rented a car for my mother-in-law for two weeks. First, I picked up a Ford Fusion, but they called us the next day asking us to bring it back as it needed service (I think some non-serous recall). When I came back I picked up a Dodge Challenger. In the two visits, I recall seeing but not choosing a Mustang convertible, a Jeep Wrangler (I think 4-door), a Hyunda Sonata (in EA not ES), many Altimas, and a few SUVs. In my experience, it is usually possible to get an SUV in the ES, although Jeeps are not that common.

The big challenge with this location is that both EA and ES areas are very small, and if you come in at the wrong time the selection can be bleak. Morning and evening are the best times. There is a whole wave of mainland flights that come in between 11:30 and 2 PM. If you are at the beginning of this wave, you should be in good shape, but if you come in after 12:30 or 1 PM, you might have slim pickings.

As others have mentioned, the staff are often very accommodating, except they won't rent out Jeeps and Convertibles when they know they are holding them for people with reservations. But don't hesitate to ask the woman at the booth (a few steps away within sight of all the cars) or anyone else on the lot for something else that you see.

Last edited by PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA; Jun 24, 2014 at 3:04 am
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Was able to pickup a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 (Hardtop) in White from the Executive Selection last week. They had 2 to choose from with ~10,000 mi on them.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
very small lot, no real choices

Shuttle driver fine and efficient. Asked if we were emerald or something and radio-ed ahead our name.

Lot is very small and was full with a lot of cars double parked. Arrived about 10 am and thought there would be some selection since they tout this as a benefit.

Reserved a premium as Emerald Elite. Zero choice. Brought out a Chrysler 300C which is like a tank. The only thing i would have liked less would have been an impala.

Took a while to extricate this car after a I arrived, which is weird because no one else was using national and they had called ahead.

Asked about any substitutions - higher or lower - Caddy, Crossover, anything. Told nothing but some mid-size and lower. No real Emerald aisle that I could see.

The guy who brought the car up seemed to really want a tip. Didn't help with suitcases or directions, or anything but kept standing by my door.

Overall, newish, dependable car, Good price. Efficient in/out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.