Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at SJC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:03 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, United Airlines 1K, National Executive, Hertz 5star
I have flown into both SJC and SFO and I would say SJC probably has a better a collection but neither are great overall. ES has way too many SUV's but it could just be the time I fly in.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I rented a car for a day last Saturday to help with moving a couple pieces of furniture. I wanted to use a free day and the upgrade to a minivan was $100+, so I just booked ES and when I got there asked if I could get something a little "larger" than what was in the ES. Guy pointed me to a flex without blinking. ^
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Bump, anything recent?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Didn't take a real hard look, but took a Nissan Altima from ES today. 4500 miles on it. There were a couple of Chargers there as well as some large SUVs.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Weekday evening rental: ES had a few Sonatas, a few Chargers, and a Regal. There were a few mid-sized SUV's. EA had lots of selection. Altimas, Malibus, the usual.

An aside - National's inventory management at this location drives me crazy sometimes. Last week I tried to book a five day rental starting 12/14 and a standard res was coming out to $400+. Booked with Dollar for $140 all in instead. The next day National said it had no cars at all. For the heck of it today I re-checked, and with the current promo for $25 off a weekly rental before 12/20, the exact same res at National priced out to $104.33, all in. I've found it very hit or miss on the pricing here. They will alternately tighten things WAY up, and then dump things on the market cheap, then tighten things way up again. The pricing here is really bipolar.

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Dec 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm Reason: Added note about bipolar pricing
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Weekday evening rental: ES had a few Sonatas, a few Chargers, and a Regal. There were a few mid-sized SUV's. EA had lots of selection. Altimas, Malibus, the usual.

An aside - National's inventory management at this location drives me crazy sometimes. Last week I tried to book a five day rental starting 12/14 and a standard res was coming out to $400+. Booked with Dollar for $140 all in instead. The next day National said it had no cars at all. For the heck of it today I re-checked, and with the current promo for $25 off a weekly rental before 12/20, the exact same res at National priced out to $104.33, all in. I've found it very hit or miss on the pricing here. They will alternately tighten things WAY up, and then dump things on the market cheap, then tighten things way up again. The pricing here is really bipolar.
Lookin to head into the SFO area for an anniversary trip so I was checking on cars in the area and came across this post. I know it's on the other side of the continent, but I have the same issue with my location in YYZ. I've actually found that it's often a question of when during the day you're pricing your reservation. For example, a 3 day weekend right now prices at $40/day on FullSize, about $170 taxes in for the weekend. In the evenings (10/11pm EST) that same reservation drops to $15-17 a day, which, with a $20 coupon puts me at $25-27 for a full weekend reservation. It's unreal.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Triggerhappy
Lookin to head into the SFO area for an anniversary trip so I was checking on cars in the area and came across this post. I know it's on the other side of the continent, but I have the same issue with my location in YYZ. I've actually found that it's often a question of when during the day you're pricing your reservation. For example, a 3 day weekend right now prices at $40/day on FullSize, about $170 taxes in for the weekend. In the evenings (10/11pm EST) that same reservation drops to $15-17 a day, which, with a $20 coupon puts me at $25-27 for a full weekend reservation. It's unreal.
Today I shifted the rental up by a couple hours. No change in price. Then I extended the return date to keep the car a day longer and it dropped $35 to $74.26 all in. Only $34.25 of that goes to national. Like I said - at this location it's either $400/day or $10 it seems like. That's for a car I'll have seven days and put 1500 miles on! Totally worth it not to put the miles on my own car, but I'll just never figure out how extending my rental by a day makes the cost drop so low.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:24 pm

Picked up yesterday at 3pm. Not many cars in ES. One charger, one altima, two enclaves, and two suburbans. Took an enclave. For 35/week plus tax (75 all in) that is about the best deal ever.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:37 pm

Did another one of the "pick up the car two days early to knock $50 off the bill" rentals. Picked up last night (Saturday) at 10pm. The exec aisle was ALL sedans this time - no SUV's or minivans (unusual for this location). Lots of Altimas and Impalas. One Sonata. a few Chargers. One very base 300 with the 5-speed and one pretty well loaded 300 with the 8-speed and big display. One Avalon.

I'm taking a trip to LAS with two other adults (8.5hr each way) so I wanted a comfortable cruiser. It was between the Avalon and the nicer of the two 300's. Haven't driven a 300 since they started using the Pentastar engine so decided to give it a shot.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I was a few hours ahead of you - got there at 5:30pm. Same situation, although I didn't see any Avalons. I managed to find an Impala LTZ with leather seating and a sunroof, albeit with expired XM even with only 2800 miles on it. But I was only going to drive the car for about 2 hours of the next 24, so I didn't really care about the XM.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:42 am

Didn't take a real hard look.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: Southwest A+ & CP, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Choice Gold, UA, US Air, Hertz, National
11am on Saturday 9/8. Emerald Aisle had no SUVs, no full size etc. Only mid size. I had to pay $20/day upgrade to get a Ford Escape. At least it was new and had SiriusXM. My most disappointing Emerald experience yet.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: Southwest AList, National EC Exec, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz 5S
Reviews from here seem to be few and far in between. I didn't even rent from here, but took a look just for you, FTers!

Tues Jan 8 9:30am

ES:
3 Mopar Vans
2 Suburbans
1 Camry
1 Old Malibu

Luxury:
1 MB E350 - No stickers on the windows, but saw the ES hangtag on the rearview.
1 G37
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Jack Wang
Reviews from here seem to be few and far in between. I didn't even rent from here, but took a look just for you, FTers!

Tues Jan 8 9:30am

ES:
3 Mopar Vans
2 Suburbans
1 Camry
1 Old Malibu

Luxury:
1 MB E350 - No stickers on the windows, but saw the ES hangtag on the rearview.
1 G37
Nice to know that National is carrying the E350!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: Southwest AList, National EC Exec, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz 5S
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Nice to know that National is carrying the E350!
Yes, first sighting for me on this car. Too bad I couldn't get the car classification. Although it was on Luxury, I believe there was a heated discussion on upgrade cost between a gentleman and the station manager.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.