Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:04 pm

Monday 4/11 around 5pm:

Many high mileage vehicles, typical Camrys, VW’s, Altimas. A lot of them smelled like smoke. There was a Ford Explorer (someone was sitting in it), a BMW X3 (another person took it before me), Infiniti QX80, GMC Acadia, Mazda CX-5.

As I was walking the aisle, I snagged an Audi S5 hatchback sedan that just pulled up with 19k on the clock and didn’t smell.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Originally Posted by Roamingtraveler
As I was walking the aisle, I snagged an Audi S5 hatchback sedan that just pulled up with 19k on the clock and didn’t smell.
Whoa S5 or A5? My understanding is that the former is considered an exotic and super rare.
Roamingtraveler likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sneeaky
Whoa S5 or A5? My understanding is that the former is considered an exotic and super rare.
Yup, S5. Didn’t realize that they were that rare. I was just happy to have something nice lol.
xienon and oftech like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:05 am

Any chance of getting a convertible in EE?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Roamingtraveler
Yup, S5. Didn’t realize that they were that rare. I was just happy to have something nice lol.
They're rare but not exotic: classified as Premium Elite (UXAR) so same class as BMW 530i, Volvo S90, and Lincoln Continental. I managed to snag one 2 years ago
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by xienon
They're rare but not exotic: classified as Premium Elite (UXAR) so same class as BMW 530i, Volvo S90, and Lincoln Continental. I managed to snag one 2 years ago
I think we're confusing the Audi A5 and Audi S5 here. Same body but different engine and mechanical internals. I've had an A5 (with S-line appearance package, making it really easy to confuse the two) as a UXAR but an S5 is classified a Performance Sports Car in the same line as a Corvette or Boxster, hence my surprise.
Kacee, joepa26, kxc262 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
I think we're confusing the Audi A5 and Audi S5 here. Same body but different engine and mechanical internals. I've had an A5 (with S-line appearance package, making it really easy to confuse the two) as a UXAR but an S5 is classified a Performance Sports Car in the same line as a Corvette or Boxster, hence my surprise.
A5 is GXAR. S5 I had was UXAR. I know my A5 from S5: I was like a kid on Christmas morning when I saw the S5. The S5 was low on oil so I actually stopped at AutoZone for a quart! I wasn't about to let a low oil warning keep me away from a S5. Maybe they changed the classification since I rented it 2 years ago.

Last edited by xienon; Apr 15, 2022 at 6:03 pm
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by xienon
A5 is GXAR. S5 I had was UXAR. I know my A5 from S5: I was like a kid on Christmas morning when I saw the S5.
Seems so, that's quite amazing, now I gotta find an excuse to rent there. Cheers!
Ordpc and Roamingtraveler like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Did a quick 1 day rental on 04/16. Executive aisle was full of crossovers. There was a Charger R/T and a Infiniti QX80. Great choice on the latter but too fuel inefficient for my drive down to San Diego. Asked the booth attendant if they had a 3 Series. They promptly brought up a 2020 Blue 330i with 42k miles. Drove immaculately.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:33 pm

Photo around Friday 9AM dropping off a car,
pretty loaded with Audi A5/Q5, Mazda 6, pickups, BMW 3 series and X2s and Minis

Had to pickup later around 6PM, much less selection but a Challenger and Q5 were around. Was able to ask for a beautiful blue Alfa Romeo Giulia with white interior on a full size elite reservation. Probably my favorite National rental so far
Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:33 pm

Photo around Friday 9AM dropping off a car,
pretty loaded with Audi A5/Q5, Mazda 6, pickups, BMW 3 series and X2s and Minis

Had to pickup later around 6PM, much less selection but a Challenger and Q5 were around. Was able to ask for a beautiful blue Alfa Romeo Giulia with white interior on a full size elite reservation. Probably my favorite National rental so far
Was the Challenger a R/T Hemi ? also are most of the cars beat up and with high mileage or are newer cars starting to show up at LAX ? thanks in advance for any comments !
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
Originally Posted by Westcoast Flyer
also are most of the cars beat up and with high mileage or are newer cars starting to show up at LAX ? thanks in advance for any comments !
I had a brand new Grand Cherokee (JK model) about a month ago. 6 miles on the clock, CA registration in the glove box was dated the day I picked it up. So, some new vehicles are appearing, but that would be the exception I would guess.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Q5 I had rented a few months back was only with 10k miles IIRC. The 3 Series I've driven have been high mileage but all of them were well maintained, ran well, and felt great. Might be more about the 3 Series itself than the mileage but that's just me.
Auto Enthusiast, SKYEG and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Saturday around noon. I had a full size elite reservation. They offered me a Q3, which I refused. They wound up pulling a BMW 530 off the Enterprise lot for me. 50k miles and definitely showing the wear but not a bad car. Took a quick walk down the Executive Aisle and saw a sea of Altimas. Nothing German.

I've had nothing but poor luck at LAX compared to some of the reports in this thread.
xienon, SKYEG and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:41 pm

Heading there right before the 4th. Trying to be a realist with gas prices and will 'splurge' for as high a mileage vehicle I can get. I am EE so hopeful I have a chance to get something decent. Any PHEV sightings on the lot?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.