Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAS

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2008, 12:31 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Tonight Executive Selection had one Volvo S60 (that I took as the employee brought it in) and dozens of Chargers, Magnums, Journeys, Impalas, and some other assorted cars (including one pickup truck). Interesting enough there was a Cadillac DTS in regular Emerald Aisle but not other Caddies anywhere so I'm not sure if the DTS was there by mistake.

The National gate agent gave me a printed contract which clearly showed the price I expected (with a web coupon) which I found to be a nice touch rather than getting nothing back. There was also a specific sign welcoming my company which just added National to its preferred vendor list
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:52 pm

Hi guy,

Any recent rental at LAS that people find a nice decent car with good gas milage? Will be there on July 3, hoping some1 would have a head up idea for me, praying to get a Highlander Hybrid is that possible? Thank you
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:06 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by wink2k
Hi guy,

Any recent rental at LAS that people find a nice decent car with good gas milage? Will be there on July 3, hoping some1 would have a head up idea for me, praying to get a Highlander Hybrid is that possible? Thank you
Your odds of a hybrid suv ona holiday weekend are horrible. What time are you arriving? In my experience, the greatest selection is there noon-6pm. On July 3, I would anticipate the least desirable cars being the only things left - think lots of suvs and vans given the fuel cost spike anticipated for that weekend.

Let us know what you end up with.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 1:15 am

HI Mrp ALert

My flight arrive at 9am, but I reserve at 10am just though I allow myself and the shuttle bus with traffic plenty of time. OH about that is there any xtra charge or hassle if I cam a little early for my reservation? Is 9-10am a good time in Exective aisle? I'll sure update with any info.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:04 am

Programs: BD *S, SQ nada
Oh.. just an update.. Rented an S60 at SFO with NV plates.. It was in the standard size car row.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Word of warning about the Volvo S-60 I took one from the Executive selection at LAS last Tuesday pulled up at the PH valet go out leaving the key in the ignition closed the door and when the valet tried to open it all the doors had self-locked with the keys in the ignition.

Called National's Road Service and they sent a Door lock service and told me they were going to charge me $48 (which I intend to despute mightily)

The serviceman told this seems to occur quite a number of times with this model.

mike
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:14 pm

Programs: BD *S, SQ nada
Speaking of that.. the S60 scared me.. Was heading back to SFO for my flight at night, and pulled into a petrol kiosk to refill. After pumping, the car refused to start despite cranking for a good 10 min! I was about to scream.. Good thing someone helped to trouble shoot was on my way before long.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Word of warning about the Volvo S-60 I took one from the Executive selection at LAS last Tuesday pulled up at the PH valet go out leaving the key in the ignition closed the door and when the valet tried to open it all the doors had self-locked with the keys in the ignition.

Called National's Road Service and they sent a Door lock service and told me they were going to charge me $48 (which I intend to despute mightily)

The serviceman told this seems to occur quite a number of times with this model.

mike
It's not a defect - it's a feature. Seriously. Cars sold in the U.S. have had (by law) key in ignition beepers for something like 35 years. Don't leave the keys in it.

Self-locking is user-programmable.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's not a defect - it's a feature. Seriously. Cars sold in the U.S. have had (by law) key in ignition beepers for something like 35 years. Don't leave the keys in it.

Self-locking is user-programmable.
Hold it a minute here. Are you trying to tell me that for example when National tells me when I return a car I should leave the keys in the ignition (which is basiclly what happened here. I got out the car ....closed the door and in the next second the valet tried to open it and it was locked) the cars can become locked with the keys before they are able to move it???

mike
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
That's amazing. You'd figure that for a car that costs that much money, they'd program an exception that prevented automatic locks when the keys were still in the ignition.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Last Saturday@noon the EA had a bunch of midsize SUVs, one SRX, and was pretty much bare of cars. The Exec area was loaded. It had a Tacoma, least a half dozen SRXs, and one CTS.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: National Elite. that is all...
Originally Posted by ride red
Last Saturday@noon the EA had a bunch of midsize SUVs, one SRX, and was pretty much bare of cars. The Exec area was loaded. It had a Tacoma, least a half dozen SRXs, and one CTS.

how come i never see those selections @ my national
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:57 pm

What do you experts think the Exec Selection will be like on a Friday evening around 6PM? Normally, I'd assume that's a bad time to get a car, but I think Vegas is an exception to the rule a lot of the time!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ride red
That's amazing. You'd figure that for a car that costs that much money, they'd program an exception that prevented automatic locks when the keys were still in the ignition.
This feature is owner programmable. National doesn't do this when prepping cars, of course. Some cars still have plastic protective wrap in place when they are rented out.

Yes, it's typical for high-end European cars to lock automatically, key in ignition or not. It's also typical for vehicles to lock (or worse, to re-arm the alarm and not lock) if a door isn't opened within xx seconds of hitting the unlock button.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by SFO UA Flyer
What do you experts think the Exec Selection will be like on a Friday evening around 6PM? Normally, I'd assume that's a bad time to get a car, but I think Vegas is an exception to the rule a lot of the time!
I think what is available at any city at any time is an almost random event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.