Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Remedy if your rental car's gas tank is half empty when you pick it up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I rented a car from National today and noticed, 12 miles after leaving the airport, that the gas tank was half empty--so it was roughly half empty when I picked up the car.

I have filled up the tank so that I don't get charged when I return the car (just a few miles away).

Am I out of luck, and the $25 in gas that I paid for, to fill up the tank, is just a lesson learned?

Next time, I'll check the gas tank before leaving the National site.

Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I rented a car from National today and noticed, 12 miles after leaving the airport, that the gas tank was half empty--so it was roughly half empty when I picked up the car.

I have filled up the tank so that I don't get charged when I return the car (just a few miles away).

Am I out of luck, and the $25 in gas that I paid for, to fill up the tank, is just a lesson learned?

Thanks.
I'm assuming that your contract indicates a fuel level of "full," correct?

If the "mileage out" listed on your contract is correct, then take a photo showing the odometer reading and fuel level (in a single photo) upon return, and show the photo to the check-in agent when you plead your case.

And yes, on future rentals, always make sure that the odometer reading and fuel-gauge level matches what's on the contract before you drive the car away.
WeekendTraveler, Ordpc and m907 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Of course, if you don't have any photo showing the 1/2 tank fuel level, you could have an uphill battle with National. They might say, "How do we know that you put $25 of gas into our vehicle, as opposed to someone else's?" But maybe you've got an honest face.
WeekendTraveler and Ordpc like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:27 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Lesson learned for next time that checking overall vehicle condition on the outbound (incl. fuel level) is on you.

That said as a fairly customer-service oriented business, I'd say if you have a photo showing you drove 12 miles and it being half a tank, you'd have a decent chance of saying something at return time and getting them to credit you back something. If it were me I'd fill it up to full, and say something at return, and then hope for the credit, rather than do nothing and then get hit with a $9/gal refuel charge and pray that 4 levels of phone support will take care of it for you.
Auto Enthusiast, seawolf and Ordpc like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:22 pm

Is it standard for the agent to ask if the fuel is full? Some locations seem to do that religiously.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:38 am

How to handle

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler

Thanks.
Take a picture of the gas gage (time stamped) and your time stamped gas receipt to the counter upon return - they can match it to the check out time stamp and make the case upon return that car was not full -"be nice" as Patrick Swaze says in Roadhouse and I am confident you will get a credit of some kind -
Ordpc likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
This recently happened to me with a Hertz rental. As soon as I realized the tank was only half full (I had driven about 16 miles), I snapped a picture of the dashboard which also showed the mileage. Because I didn't want to be dinged for not returning a full tank, I sent Hertz the pic, a pdf of original documents and my gas receipt. I was shocked when I got a check from Hertz for the gas a couple weeks later.
Ordpc and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Manhattan, it's more likely that cars are rented out with less than a full tank of gas, because few rental locations have gas pumps. The directive is to always return the car with the fuel at the same level as it went out; I've gotten cars with 1/4 tank. It's usually marked on the contract or the little "damages" paper. But I *always* take a picture of the dashboard showing the mileage and fuel level at both pickup and dropoff. With Hertz, in the past they would give you a credit if you returned the car with more fuel than it went out with, but at some point they stopped doing this, so you really had to just try and return with the same level.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't really think there's a remedy. I got an Expedition at LAS this year with 5/8 tank. The agent at the exit booth said "just bring it back on 5/8s" in a voice I often use with my 9 year old.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
In Manhattan, it's more likely that cars are rented out with less than a full tank of gas, because few rental locations have gas pumps. The directive is to always return the car with the fuel at the same level as it went out; I've gotten cars with 1/4 tank. It's usually marked on the contract or the little "damages" paper. But I *always* take a picture of the dashboard showing the mileage and fuel level at both pickup and dropoff. With Hertz, in the past they would give you a credit if you returned the car with more fuel than it went out with, but at some point they stopped doing this, so you really had to just try and return with the same level.
No car rental locations in Manhattan (or in NYC in general outside of airport locations) have onsite gas stations. This goes for Hertz, National/Alamo, Enterprise, etc.....

Over years have been given vehicles from National or Enterprise with fuel usually ranging between 1/2 to 1/4, and in some instances barely above fumes.

Reasons range, but it comes down to none of the rental places have staffing anymore to take vehicles to nearest gas station to refuel. This was happening before gas stations in Manhattan began vanishing, and is more of an issue now that few remain below Harlem.

Even though customers take and pay for fuel refill option (thus can return vehicle empty or whatever), National, Enterprise, and rest again don't have staff to take vehicles to gas stations, and or worse, they are so short of inventory can often only pull vehicles that truly are on "E".

What normally happens is that renter is told to "bring vehicle back with same amount of fuel as it went out...". Last time one checked National in NYC will give credit for excess fuel upon return (vehicle taken out at 1/4 but returned with half or even full tank). Enterprise is a whole other matter. That outfit never misses a beat in wringing every last dime out of a rental, so YMMV.

Have found National rarely gives any problems if you don't note tank is less than full, and or what is written on contract doesn't match gauge. I've called location hours after taking out a rental to note ride had "1/4" instead of say "1/2" or is 7/8ths instead of "Full". Notes were made and issue dealt with at time of return.

Besides looking for damage before driving off it is imperative check fuel gauge before leaving lot as well. It takes but a few seconds and can save tons of grief later.

Now getting a ride that has tank reading of "F" that goes down to "7/8th" or bit less with just barely a few miles away from location, you're on your own..... *LOL* People bring rides back on "F", but do so in a way that any excess gas (that they've paid for....", is driven off. So by time ride is moved around lot/garage, and or given to next renter that needle is going to move....
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:14 pm

If you ever do a one-way out of Manhattan, especially returning outside the NYC area, make sure the gas level is correctly noted on the contract. This practice of minimal gas is not normal elsewhere, and thus may be unexpected. National has very few off-airport stores as well, so most such returns will probably go to airports accustomed to a very different checkout procedure.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
National in NYC will give credit for excess fuel upon return (vehicle taken out at 1/4 but returned with half or even full tank).
at what rate?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
at what rate?
In my experience rate was same as whatever current refuel charge National was offering. That is the rate they charge renters for gas per gallon if they don't bring vehicle back with correct amount of fuel.

Since almost always get fuel outside of Manhattan before returning vehicles there often can end up ahead of game.

Gas in NJ or some other areas outside of Manhattan (or much of NYC for that matter) is considerably cheaper than within. Since National's NYC locations base their refueling charges on local rates.....

Again this is often why so many renting (IMHO) from NYC (at least) locations get dinged with fuel gauges that move off "F" to 7/8ths or bit less with just driving a half mile or so out of location. Previous renter likely filled up in NJ or someplace outside of city before returning. Then they drove carefully enough so when fuel meter is read it says "F", but that won't last long.

IIRC there was a thread or mentioned somewhere in group that Enterprise is now using some funky electronics or whatever to determine how much fuel actually is in tank.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
If you ever do a one-way out of Manhattan, especially returning outside the NYC area, make sure the gas level is correctly noted on the contract. This practice of minimal gas is not normal elsewhere, and thus may be unexpected. National has very few off-airport stores as well, so most such returns will probably go to airports accustomed to a very different checkout procedure.
Suppose one day this all will be moot as EVs take over and things will be charged before leaving location.

Have seen a few vehicles being charged at local Enterprise location, but don't know if they were rentals or customers of private garage that owns space where franchise is located.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Enterprise is now using some funky electronics or whatever to determine how much fuel actually is in tank.
at pick-up of "F" tanks, I've tried to look at "miles to empty" number. But isn't that number always tilted to latest driving pattern - which may not at all be "steady hwy driving"??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.