Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Just picked up from YYZ this afternoon. I had a premium reservation and am an EE member.

I was pretty annoyed that they directed me to the aisle which had 0 PCARs on it (I actually havent even seen any PCARs at any airport this year). They said thats a Nissan maxima and we dont have any, so choose from the aisleNo we cant give you anything from premier selection unless you pay the up charge.

The premier selection had an assortment of entry level Mercedes/Audi on it (CLA, GLB, Q5). The ES had a bunch of crappy cars like ford escapes.

After I changed my res to LCAR they reluctantly let me take a CLA250 (but that was all I was allowed to take).

At the booth they tried to charge me the premier selection up charge, even though I had an LCAR res, they said if I took a car from premier selection I had to pay the charge ( I took exactly one of the two CLA250s I was told to choose from with my LCAR res). They called someone to confirm my story and I was allowed to proceed with the rental. They also didnt mark the damage I pointed out to them, my RA reads no damage.

Pretty disappointing experience at YYZ, most Nationals are good. This one is decidedly chintzy.

I just hit a moose in the CLA250 up near New Liskeard, so we will see what the local enterprise swaps me into.

Last edited by Nitehawk; May 14, 2024 at 10:17 pm
Old May 14, 2024, 9:56 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Just picked up from YYZ this afternoon. I had a premium reservation and am an EE member.

I was pretty annoyed that they directed me to the aisle which had 0 PCARs on it (I actually havent even seen any PCARs at any airport this year). They said thats a Nissan maxima and we dont have any, so choose from the aisleNo we cant give you anything from premier selection unless you pay the up charge.

The premier selection had an assortment of entry level Mercedes/Audi on it (CLA, GLB, Q5). The ES had a bunch of crappy cars like ford escapes.

After I changed my res to LCAR they reluctantly let me take a CLA250 (but that was all I was allowed to take).

At the booth they tried to charge me the premier selection up charge, even though I had an LCAR res, they said if I took a car from premier selection I had to pay the charge (even though I took exactly one of the two CLA250s I was told to choose from with my LCAR res). They also didnt mark the damage I pointed out to them on the RA.

Pretty disappointing experience at YYZ, most Nationals are good. This one is decidedly chintzy.

I just hit a moose in the CLA250 up near New Liskeard, so we will see what the local enterprise swaps me into.
Yeah it's a shame, YYZ has seen a huge devaluation for Executive members, cars that once were for everyone a couple years ago are considered "Executive".

I was there last week and only saw Camrys and Altimas in the Executive aisle...
Old May 14, 2024, 10:30 pm

Since when does the reserved car class mean almost nothing? How is a FCAR/ICAR/IFAR is an acceptable replacement for a PCAR?

I would argue if they dont have a PCAR they can move up to LCAR, GXAR, RXAR etc, but not down.

Reading between the lines I am thinking the managers get scored or bonused on upsells, hence the pushing for the premier selection fee. Apparently customer satisfaction is not a concern at YYZ. They were also not impressed that I modified my reservation to LCAR rather than paying their up charge.
Auto Enthusiast and oftech like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:49 am

Unsure what it is about YYZ, but all the major rental companies there have awful customer service and are stingy on upgrades.
Old May 15, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Just completed a YYZ-USA one way rental. The app told me that I could take any car in the Emerald Aisle, but I was told at the gate that a one way rental into the US had to have US plates (of which there none in the aisle and an associate had to go to a satellite lot to retrieve). I wasn't in a hurry, but I was left to wait about 30 minutes for the car to be brought out.

So for anyone else doing a one way rental into the US, seems like you won't be able to bypass the counter despite what the app may say.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by FightOnFlyer
Just completed a YYZ-USA one way rental. The app told me that I could take any car in the Emerald Aisle, but I was told at the gate that a one way rental into the US had to have US plates (of which there none in the aisle and an associate had to go to a satellite lot to retrieve). I wasn't in a hurry, but I was left to wait about 30 minutes for the car to be brought out.

So for anyone else doing a one way rental into the US, seems like you won't be able to bypass the counter despite what the app may say.
I one-wayed to LGA last summer and did not have this problem at all. I found them to be stingy with their vehicle selection, but I did the drive in a GMC Acadia with Ontario plates.
Old May 17, 2024, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by FightOnFlyer

I dont think its a hard rule. They just dont want to lose inventory I think and the cost associated with bringing a Canada plates car back to Canada if theres no one way USA-Canada rental.

at YVR, I have seen them set aside USA plated cars just for this purpose I think as they need to get them sent back to USA. The station said they allow Canada plated cars to Seattle but seemed to have said if I wanted to one way to anywhere further they wont allow that
Old May 23, 2024, 1:07 pm

yep can confirm that YYZ national is the outlier and definitively the worst one I have experienced. Generally National customer service is the best. Even if they don't have access to good cars for executives, they could train their employees to offer good customer service or be nice. But every time I've been there, (probably 10+ times), they act as if they are doing me a favour by taking my money.
AppleBoy97 likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:59 pm

[QUOTE=Nitehawk;36234423]Since when does the reserved car class mean almost nothing? How is a FCAR/ICAR/IFAR is an acceptable replacement for a PCAR?

I would argue if they don’t have a PCAR they can move up to LCAR, GXAR, RXAR etc, but not down.

Reading between the lines I am thinking the managers get scored or bonused on upsells, hence the pushing for the premier selection fee. Apparently customer satisfaction is not a concern at YYZ. They were also not impressed that I modified my reservation to LCAR rather than paying their up charge.[/Q
UOTE]

Next time show them this and threaten to call corporate.

I had to show them this once because it seems they have no clue what elite members are entitled to.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Terminal 3 update?

Anybody pick up a rental from Terminal 3 lately? My confirmation from National says something about T3 being closed and that I need to go to Terminal 1.

Any updates?
Old May 24, 2024, 6:46 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
[QUOTE=island mon;36255646]
Since when does the reserved car class mean almost nothing? How is a FCAR/ICAR/IFAR is an acceptable replacement for a PCAR?

I would argue if they don’t have a PCAR they can move up to LCAR, GXAR, RXAR etc, but not down.

Reading between the lines I am thinking the managers get scored or bonused on upsells, hence the pushing for the premier selection fee. Apparently customer satisfaction is not a concern at YYZ. They were also not impressed that I modified my reservation to LCAR rather than paying their up charge.[/Q
UOTE]

Next time show them this and threaten to call corporate.

I had to show them this once because it seems they have no clue what elite members are entitled to.
It seems you're unaware of what you're entitled to. Your upgrade is automatically built into your reservation with National. If you book a Full Size, you've paid for Mid Size.. if you book a Premium, you've paid for Full Size. If you book Luxury, you've paid for Premium. There.. you've been upgraded. This is the way National works and has been discussed here many many times.

Ron.
Nitehawk likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by newfbc

It seems you're unaware of what you're entitled to. Your upgrade is automatically built into your reservation with National. If you book a Full Size, you've paid for Mid Size.. if you book a Premium, you've paid for Full Size. If you book Luxury, you've paid for Premium. There.. you've been upgraded. This is the way National works and has been discussed here many many times.

Ron.

I certainly understand the system, but my recent experience at YYZ was when no PCARs are available and you booked one they just give you an FCAR or a crappy SUV (an upgrade, heh). I did see a Toyota crown in the returns area when I got back, labelled PCAR.
island mon likes this.

Last edited by Nitehawk; May 24, 2024 at 11:19 am
Old May 24, 2024, 8:50 am

[QUOTE=newfbc;36256396]
Originally Posted by island mon

Ron.

Interesting because when I have gone to National, any location, and they don't have my reservation, they provide a higher option and not lower. They always say that it is because of the Executive Status. It seems strange that they would want to downgrade OPs reservation, I have also noticed that it depends on the person you are dealing with. I always try to speak to a manager because some of the regular agents aren't helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.