Good-bye

Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Good-bye

I'm not returning to FlyerTalk.

Seems that the same people obsess over the same topics no matter how many of us TSA employees try to correct myths, misperceptions and exaggerations. For a while, there appeared to be some give-and-take progress, but recently it's taken a turn for the worst. Perhaps the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back was the lack of objectivity by the so-called moderators. No fun playing against a stacked deck.

I've mentioned perspective in many of my posts, and I think it's appropriate that I share my perspective in this last and final post on FlyerTalk.

I'm a retired Army intelligence officer. While the majority of my experience dealt with operations conducted against our Cold War adversaries, the latter half of my career entailed the new asymetric threat that emerged after the Cold War. Hate to put it this way, but it seemed that the world was a safer place when two superpowers had arsenals of intercontinental ballistic missiles aimed at each other. The rules of engagement were somewhat simpler; and each side was careful to avoid triggering a global nuclear holocaust.

All of that changed when the Soviet Union and its cronies went away. The new threat that emerged has no regard for rules. Instead of a chess game, we find ourselves in a street fight. This became quite obvious to me when, during one of my stints in a war-torn country, I came across what I thought was a thrown-away doll, and it turned out to be the remains of an infant who was victimized by a senseless massacre euphemistically called "ethnic cleansing."

My first exposure to terrorism was when I lived in Germany when the Baader-Meinhof Gang was bombing American military bases. Shortly after that, a group called Black September murdered 11 Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympic Games. While the majority of my military career entailed counterintelligence and counterespionage investigations/operations, I eventually became involved in counterterrorism activities. I wasn't surprised that it was al Qai'da who would orchestrate the atrocities of September 11th; however, I was amazed at the simplicity of their plan and its devastating efficiency.

The events of 9/11 are why I became an airport security screener first working as a private contractor for the Wackenhut Corporation and then becoming a screener for the Transportation Security Administration. I clearly understand that I qualify for higher paying and higher ranking jobs than my current position as a Lead Screener. However, I've always been a tip-of-the-spear type of guy, and to me, my expertise is needed at the security checkpoint instead of behind some desk in some office buried deep inside some bureaucracy.

I, too, am frustrated over the inconsistencies TSA wide. I was frustrated at the discrepancies when we were privately contracted airports and thought TSA would finally bring some standardization. Apparently, TSA still has a lot of work to do to bring about some consistency. However, I can certainly influence things in my airport with my screeners assigned to me on my shift. All I can say to you is that when you pass through Terminal 1 at San Antonio International Airport anytime after 12 noon, I'm going to screen you as if my own family were on the same flight.

One last thing: this is World War III. The bad guys are going to try it again. The defense of this nation is not at the security checkpoint as some of you have mischaracterized. Security checkpoints are only part of a multi-layered defensive perimeter coordinated among several different agencies under the Department of Homeland Security. The true defense of this nation is in the hands of silent warriors who impose maximum violence of action at the objective under the cloak of covert operations. You will never read of their successes, you will most certainly hear of their failures because the root weevils who infest the media love to kick a man when he's down. But be assured, the fight will be won in places like Iraq and Afghanistan so that we don't have to do it on the streets of America.

When you put it in that perspective, within that context, taking off your shoes is not the worst thing in the world that could ever happen to you.

Safe journey.

To the brave and the bold: RANGERS LEAD THE WAY! HOOAH!
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Bart,

Although you and I have disagreed at times, I have always respected your views and especially your way of expressing yourself. Feel free to keep in touch with me by e-mail.

Bruce
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:34 am

Programs: TSA
Great Post

Sorry to see you go! I shall sally forth on this expedition to keep things in perspective here. It is very difficult to change some peoples perspectives. At the most we could hope that the people that arent biased, that read this forum will be open minded enough to see both sides of the issues that rage on here.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to see you go.

I disagree with a couple of your points.

This is WWIII?

If it is, then how will we know when it is over? How many years without a major terrorist strike on our soil will signal its end?

We all know that this isn't WWIII. Three years ago we suffered a highly coordinated attack by 19 terrorists. They are all dead, and the brave men and women of our Armed Forces have spent the last three years trying to kill what's left of their leaders and organization.

Sure it will happen again. But nobody knows when. Or where. Or how.

But to tell me that we need to treat people the way we do at airports (and coming soon to subways and train stations) in the hope of preventing another terrorist attack insults my intelligence.

If this is a war, it is one waged against Americans, by Americans like yourself. You went from fighting enemy combatants to treating people poorly here on our soil. In the days and weeks immediately following September 11, 2001, you probably thought that it was a good idea to help strengthen the system that some blame for the attacks. Many of your similarly patriotic colleagues thought the same thing, and some still do. Still others have resigned from Mineta's/Magaw's/Loy's/Stone's circus of an agency for many reasons - some because they see the futility of spending billions of dollars annually looking for sharp and pointy objects and examining shoes.

I know it's your job, but your job description requires treating people poorly. You are free to disagree. Of course, I would expect disagreement from someone collecting the salary.

Several of the posters here who claim to be employed by the TSA are fond of asserting that the anti-TSA attitude of some FlyerTalkers is an extreme minority view and that most Americans are highly satisfied with our new security regime. Perhaps. Then again, most people rarely fly; several million people will account for a substantial portion of this year's 700 million or so passengers in the USA.

Perhaps there's a website out there where none of the posters are critical of the TSA. Where only "Kudos to TSA!" posts appear.

While my hypothetical www.InfrequentFlyer-AdmireEverythingAboutTSA.com might stroke the bruised egos of our poor downtrodden public servant TSA employee posters, the posts there would seem to provide little real useful information. But if that's what you're looking for, good luck in your quest.

Some of us (probably not many of us - I'll grant you that) will continue to call it the way we see it, despite frequent requests by people who say they work for the US government that we bite our tongue.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:23 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I have always appreciated Bart's posts and his departure will be our loss.

I confess to being a perpetual critic of the TSA, but I hope I have never made personal attacks on TSA employees who post here. Indeed (with a couple of notable exceptions ) those who do post represent the thoughtful, intelligent face of the TSA. Unfortunately, from my experiences they constitute the minority, the ones I'd really like to take to task will never visit here.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:35 am

Bart,

Your participation here raised the level of discourse. You will be missed. Thanks again for all the principled disagreements and occasionally agreements that we've aired here.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
If this is a war, it is one waged against Americans, by Americans like yourself. You went from fighting enemy combatants to treating people poorly here on our soil.
Agree 100%. This war is between Americans who will happily cede their cherished liberties, and Americans who will resist the current encroachment on our private lives, posessions, and bodies. I will be among the fighters until liberty wins the final victory.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:40 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Goodbye Bart

Sorry to see you go. I admit that sometimes it seems like this forum just rehashes the same arguments over and over again. Thanks for all the insight.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:51 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Perhaps, Bart, you will reconsider!

-Mark
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:52 am

Programs: TSA
inference or insinuation?

Originally Posted by FWAAA

But to tell me that we need to treat people the way we do at airports (and coming soon to subways and train stations) in the hope of preventing another terrorist attack insults my intelligence.
There is really no easy way to resolve this. It is humans inhumanity towards each other that has caused us to have to partake in the screenings of Americans.

If this is a war, it is one waged against Americans, by Americans like yourself. You went from fighting enemy combatants to treating people poorly here on our soil. In the days and weeks immediately following September 11, 2001, you probably thought that it was a good idea to help strengthen the system that some blame for the attacks.
????

Many of your similarly patriotic colleagues thought the same thing, and some still do. Still others have resigned from Mineta's/Magaw's/Loy's/Stone's circus of an agency for many reasons - some because they see the futility of spending billions of dollars annually looking for sharp and pointy objects and examining shoes.
Thats is not how the lions share of the money is spent! Even if we dropped the things that you call a waste of time, it would not impact the bottom financial line of the spending.

I know it's your job, but your job description requires treating people poorly. You are free to disagree. Of course, I would expect disagreement from someone collecting the salary.
You are saying that we are defending our stand only because of the pay? I dont believe that is the case.

Several of the posters here who claim to be employed by the TSA are fond of asserting that the anti-TSA attitude of some FlyerTalkers is an extreme minority view and that most Americans are highly satisfied with our new security regime. Perhaps.
Shees, what do I have to do? Post a picture?
Then again, most people rarely fly; several million people will account for a substantial portion of this year's 700 million or so passengers in the USA.
So lets see that is several million people vs the few hundred on this board. Hmmm sounds like a minority to me!

Perhaps there's a website out there where none of the posters are critical of the TSA. Where only "Kudos to TSA!" posts appear.

While my hypothetical www.InfrequentFlyer-AdmireEverythingAboutTSA.com might stroke the bruised egos of our poor downtrodden public servant TSA employee posters, the posts there would seem to provide little real useful information. But if that's what you're looking for, good luck in your quest.
The FF posters information here is not much more than soap box rhetoric or anecdotal at best.

Some of us (probably not many of us - I'll grant you that) will continue to call it the way we see it, despite frequent requests by people who say they work for the US government that we bite our tongue.
Bite your tongue? Never seen that phrase on here. We are just trying to present the fact that there are two sides to every story. The FF on here are just telling one side. We try to show what the reason is for some of the incidents that happen. There are people on here that are never going to allow any credibility to the other side of the story. That is ignorance.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:14 am

Programs: NWA Lowly Silver ; Priceline Whore
Originally Posted by Bart
I'm not returning to FlyerTalk.
Some of us appreciate the work you're done here.. and in your career.

Sorry that the unrelenting ad-nauseum complaining drove you to leave.

Good luck
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:29 pm

Bart,Sorry that other points of view did not agree with your belief as to how things should operate,Dont let the door hit ya in the backside on your way out of Flyer Talk
Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:23 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Bart, while I don't agree with the policies of the organization who employs you, I have appreciated the insight you have brought to this forum. It's unforunate that you feel the way you do - hopefully you will be back after a break.

To the other TSA employees here who contibute - you are valued here. It's important that both sides contribute.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by thebug622
Bart,Sorry that other points of view did not agree with your belief as to how things should operate,Dont let the door hit ya in the backside on your way out of Flyer Talk
Now THAT was uncalled for.

Sorry to see you go Bart, but perhaps you should consider getting a higher up the ladder job where you could influence policy
Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebug622
Bug,

I am not an supporter (in any way) of most TSA policies and have probably made some posts challenging Bart's views. Additionally, I do not in any way agree with his characterization of today's world in his farewell post. However, there is absolutely no reason for your attitude, which is how the finger-pointing and name-calling start on this board. I urge you, and everyone else (including myself at times) to stick to the issues.

Last edited by Japhydog; Oct 5, 2004 at 1:28 pm Reason: To correct a spelling error.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL - Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Glob
I have closed this thread due to the fact that it has served its purpose and I only see it as a forum for arguments and other non-constructive comments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.