Most glamorous air route?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2002, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Liberace? Women loved him!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Feb 2, 2002, 1:10 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
the Liberace Museum is closed for remodeling right now.

Until then, you can see his fashions at Goodtimes, just a skip across the parking lot! (and check out the beauties!)

Spencer and Trop, barely 3 minutes from LAS McCarren...

-nate
Old Feb 2, 2002, 10:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pynchonesque:
A routing isn't glamorous unless you're extensively questioned by US Customs upon return. </font>
This is so true, which is why I was saddened when Blair informed us of the cancellation of Tarom's OTP-TIP (Tripoli) flight.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

No need to be constrained by your favorite airline's route network in the quest to be glamorous. If you arrive from a two-day trip to any international destination, wearing Prada slippers, Armani (Colezioni, none of that A/X stuff) sweatpants, and a silk smoking jacket (and nothing underneath), you're pretty much assured of "please step aside" from the friendly Customs folk.

[This message has been edited by pynchonesque (edited 02-04-2002).]
Old Feb 5, 2002, 3:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Baby, I know LOS when I see it. I have too many scars to show for it. I missed it, I'm sorry, your post was O So Glamourous that it turned my girlish head. Am I forgiven?

Blair Van Horn has more good taste in his little finger than Liberace ever possessed in his entire body.

I think that you will find that his home airport was PSP. As for Mother and George, I am not sure. I was going to propose that we engage the services of Tammy Faye Baker as Directrice of Fine Taste and Decorum. I insist that the Flight Attendants be thoroughly groomed.

Celebrian, which was the Charm School for Jeunes Demoiselles from which you graduated? I am sure they would accept a training contract for our 17,000 or so applicants? Oh sorry, I advertised the job, that was Ok wasn't it. I used "Hello" as the Farmers Gazette had used up all its allocation.

I need a bigger budget. Who do I have to seduce?
Old Feb 5, 2002, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Pucci, before being expelled for doing a redesign of his school lederhosen à la Madonna, Celby attended the Institut Villa Pierrefeu in Glion, Switzerland where the school motto is:

"We'll put great ideas in your head.

We won't put books on it, that's a promise."

[This message has been edited by blairvanhorn (edited 02-05-2002).]
Old Feb 5, 2002, 9:02 am

Programs: Lots of shiny colors
Pucci my love, I think Blair just renounced his (clothing) budget, so if you'd like...

Anyway, finishing school can be tough on you.
I still shiver when I recall the "It costs a lot of money to look this non-descript" lectures... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Feb 5, 2002, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Pucci, I give carte blanche to anyone who travels to Lagos only to procure (I am much too familiar with that word) loote... erhm... liberated diamonds. The only question is whether those five-carat monsters will grace the pilots' tiaras, or your own.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 3:11 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
The number one Glam non TARMOM route is an even tie between JFK/FLL & JFK/WPB. If Sadie is on the flight, she will be dressed to end all. You can't miss her, her hair color is the same shade as the old Republic Airlines speed bird logo.
Old Feb 6, 2002, 8:47 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blairvanhorn:Pucci, before being expelled for doing a redesign of his school lederhosen à la Madonna, Celby attended the Institut Villa Pierrefeu in Glion, Switzerland</font>
Not just Celby: Tarom's executive board doubles as the Institut's alumni association. Though most times you wouldn't know it.
Old Feb 9, 2002, 3:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Droneklax:
Ha! the fond memories of the LOS route, where I saw, with my very own set of eyes, goat meat being prepared by a passenger.....

My vote for most glamorous route!
</font>
Do anyone know if I need Visa to visit LOS? I use Chilean or BVI travel documents when I travel. What is better to carry?

Old Feb 9, 2002, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnuft:
Do anyone know if I need Visa to visit LOS?</font>
Amex Centurion is much more glamorous. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Seriously though, check with the Nigerian Consulate.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 4:02 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Droneklax:
Ha! the fond memories of the LOS route, where I saw, with my very own set of eyes, goat meat being prepared by a passenger.....

My vote for most glamorous route!
</font>
That's a great story!

Best I can offer is my uncle's account of a Saudia flight in the 70s between Sudan and Saudia Arabia (I think), on which he'd been arbitrarily told that his (paid) first class seat was unavailable and that he had been reseated in economy. Halfway through the flight he looked up to see one of the flight attendants literally sprinting down the aisle towards the back of the plane with a panicked expression on her face - turning around he saw a Bedouin squatting by the rearward toilets, poised to light his gas stove which he had set up on the carpet, complete with billy full of water for tea!

I know airline tea is disgusting but that's taking it a bit far. Note to VP Catering: what premium brand teas do we stock on TaromGlam?
Old Mar 19, 2002, 4:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
I am truly surprised that nobody has thrown in the infamous airborne orgasmatron that was MGM Grand Air between NYC-LAX. This truly had to have been one of the most decadent airlines in operation.....second to TAROM of course!

If anyone is up for a great trashy read, (and goodness knows I always am!) you should pick up Diana Benson's The Mile High Club....it's about her days as an MGM Grand Air F/A. Of course, it could all be a bunch of gross exaggerations, but then doesn't that make it that more decadent??

Although I do wish that in its heyday, MGM Grand Air had taken some style points from good ole Braniff in their Pucci days....I have to say that was also another truly *divalicious* moment in airline history with the color themed lounges and the Pucci uniforms! Makes me wish I were born about 25 years earlier so I could have appreciated them in person!
Old Mar 19, 2002, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
The problem is that air travel is not all that glamorous today, for one thing because in real dollar terms it's much cheaper than it was 30-35 years ago when the term "the jet set" was coined. Then the "jet set" of frequent flyers, particularly frequent international flyers, was heavily weighted toward the rich, the famous, and the busily-employed, and so part of the glamour of air travel was the chance of flying with someone famous on the same plane. You can get a sense of how exclusive flying was by looking at how small the planes and the airport waiting areas were.

In 1960 I would have said that the glamour route was the Pacific crossing: rarer, longer, and more exotic. I would rate LHR-LAX as the nearest thing to a glamour route today on commercial aircraft. Real glamour today is being a guest on someone's private jet flying to London.

------------------
"Yes, but at least mine will be found in a first class seat." -- Peattie and Taylor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.