Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most glamorous air route?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2002, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Most glamorous air route?

What's the most glamorous (non-Tarom) ticket one can buy?

My contention is that it would have to be on BA, paid F, departing LHR, going to.... LOS? RUH? Maybe something like SFO-BKK (paid F, of course) on SQ would be a close second? Or maybe CDG-JFK on the Concorde?

A followup discussion would be suggesting nonstop routes for Tarom. SFO-EYW? CDG-MSY? So many possibilities.

[edited to add glossary of nonobvious airport codes. LOS is Lagos, RUH is Riyadh, BKK is Bangkok, EYW is Key West, MSY is New Orleans.]

[This message has been edited by pynchonesque (edited 02-04-2002).]
Old Jan 31, 2002, 6:41 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Shouldn't we operate a non stop between Barrow, Alaska (BRW) and Death Valley, California (Closest airport I'm aware of is IYK - Inyokern, CA). We could call it our Fire and Ice Special and AFAIK, we would have NO competition on this route.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 3:15 am

Programs: Lots of shiny colors
The most glamorous route ever is YHA-CPA (Your Home Airport-Celbrian's Paris Apartment) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif
Old Feb 1, 2002, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which puts me on the question, why don't we have our own airport?
Old Feb 1, 2002, 5:30 am

Scott: Where have you been? You can't have your own airport. What will happen is you will invest billions over several decades in creating a world leading airport with connections all over the globe. Then, when you have made a bigger success of an international airport that the Americans can the American Federal authorities will insist on a ridiculously high quota of slots for US airlines at your airport, in order that you may fly from there to the US.

In return for their generosity, they will ensure that you are barred from the US domestic network; insist that all US government employees and contractors do not fly on your airline; restrict any transatlantic code-sharing opportunities and generally be a pain in the neck looking after their own national interests while buggering up yours.

They justify this bullying on the basis that they have the most lucrative air passenger market in the world, and therefore you either do what they want or go to hell.

Viva democracy. Viva freedom. Viva the 'greatest nation' in the world.

With that, I submit my application for the position of VP Regulatory Affairs and Governement Relations.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Merry (edited 02-01-2002).]
Old Feb 1, 2002, 6:15 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Accepted!

He can have his own airport if he wants to. I also wish you to be the Load Control Director as we need a stringent non-upgrade policy, and also I have appointed you Directir Cabin Freshnes and Air Quality.

For those of you who do not know to what I am alluding, you'll have to pop over to BA and find it.

To keep on thread How about Gdansk-WAW, or maybe Luxor-Cairo, or best yet any routes in or out of Lagos, Kano, or Tripoli.

(BiBi, are my roots showing?)
Old Feb 1, 2002, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Merry:
Scott: Where have you been?

[This message has been edited by Merry (edited 02-01-2002).]
</font>

Where have I been? Where have YOU been? We have missed you over here!

As for your application, it goes without saying that you are accepted http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Old Feb 1, 2002, 6:45 am

I would also point out that by appointing me you also one nearer to your quota of disabled employees. I heared that the UN has passed a resolution, officially catagorising (Ok that one was on purpose) my spelling as a registered disability.

Anyway, you have me back until Sunday afternoon, then it is Paris-Frankfurt-Stockholm-San Francisco-Home.

Nick
Old Feb 1, 2002, 6:56 am

Nick http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif!

Your appointments are approved, of course. An Empress's wish is everybody's command. Just let your assistants do the real work and tell us about Thailand now.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">BiBi, are my roots showing?</font>
Pucci, roots are the last thing I would ever expect you to sprout.

Nick, I am so happy you have accepted a position to your liking; does Dickie B. know about all this? Even with your disabilitee, I'm sure you will be an enormous asset to the company.

Now can we please go back on topic???

pynchonesque: I vote for LHR-LAX in honor of all the glam, alcohol-soaked return trips made by Liz Taylor and Richard Burton on this route over the years.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 7:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Which puts me on the question, why don't we have our own airport?</font>
There IS an airport in OTP!
Only... the Tupolev lounge is bigger than the terminal!
Old Feb 1, 2002, 8:48 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blairvanhorn:
I vote for LHR-LAX in honor of all the glam, alcohol-soaked return trips made by Liz Taylor and Richard Burton on this route over the years.</font>
I hadn't even thought of that one. Thanks. It's Liz Taylor glamorous, but it still doesn't have that London-to-Lagos sipping-champagne-in-F-with-the-warlords kind of glamor I was going for. Guess you can't have everything.

Pucci, congrats on naming Lagos as a glam destination, as my original post did (that's what LOS is). But I think it's only glamorous if you fly BA paid F. If you fly Nigerian Airways, it's too unglam to even contemplate.

What was Liberace's home airport, anyway?
Old Feb 1, 2002, 8:51 am

Ha! the fond memories of the LOS route, where I saw, with my very own set of eyes, goat meat being prepared by a passenger.....

My vote for most glamorous route!
Old Feb 1, 2002, 9:32 am
Original Poster

A routing isn't glamorous unless you're extensively questioned by US Customs upon return.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">What was Liberace's home airport, anyway?</font>
LAS http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.