Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Back-to-Back Tickets. To do or not to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 1999, 11:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32

Ideas?

Has this subject been covered in the past? If so where?
Old Apr 10, 1999, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
It has been covered on other threads, e.g. www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000459.html http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000362.html www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000683.html and www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000457.html and there is a web site that discusses the fare "rules" www.onetravel.com/rules/rules.cfm . I personally am of the belief that generally it is fair game but if you violate the rules then you do so at your risk and don't whine about it if you get caught.

The easy way around it is to back to back using two non-aligned airlines, e.g. UA and AA. Then it wouldn't be "illegal" back to back ticketing. It's kind of funny since my first introduction to back to back ticketing came from an airline's reservation agent who booked me two back to backs about 8 years ago.

I have not had a problem in the subsequent 8 years. I would not throw away my return coupons however. I have always planned them so I got another business or personal trip out of the return coupons.

I know I know SHHH!

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 04-10-99).]
Old Apr 10, 1999, 12:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the great sites. I'll thoroughly absorb DJlawman's epistles at a later date.
Here's why I asked the question.

All my tickets are bought for me so I know very little about the process or the RULES. I was simply trying to save money and innocently asked the airline reservation clerk on airline "A" to book the two back-to-back tickets. She said, "Oh, I can't do that. Its against the rules." I said, "Well, OK, just book the first one and I'll book the other on airline "B". She then answered, "Oh, you don't need to do that, just call back a little later and book the other half." Go figure!

Old Apr 10, 1999, 4:03 pm
Original Member

CAUTION: "Thoroughly absorbing Djlawman's epistles" can be hazardous to your health. It is recommended that they only be absorbed in small doses, and only when accompanied by a (reader's choice) 1) tall cold beer; 2) good margarita; or 3) insomnia in need of resolution.

Djlawman

Old Apr 10, 1999, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
It seems the best advice on back-to-back sometimes comes from the airlines' own staff!

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 04-10-99).]
Old Apr 10, 1999, 5:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Who are you kidding Djlawman. It took me a tall cold beer just to decide to absorb it all later. I was thinking that digesting it in its entirety would take at least two straight up dirty martinis...a day...for a week.
Old Apr 11, 1999, 8:32 am
Original Member

BB: thanks for the thread URLs. Although I follow Flyertalk I missed the one with Djlawman's epistles. Very informative.

Djlawman: I chose the small dose option with beer. I read all of them but my dog ate my notes (very detailed notes, I might add). Can I still get my 2 Law School credits?
Old Apr 11, 1999, 4:47 pm
Original Member

Dog ate your notes? You expect to get law school credits using that old saw? No way! Now, if you had used a more appropriate FlyerTalk excuse like, "My notes were in my luggage, which was sent by (name your airline) to the wrong airport and never showed up," I would have considered it. Sorry, that "Buck" won't pass this class.

Djlawman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.