Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Future of Frequent Flyer Programs: What Should We Do?

The Future of Frequent Flyer Programs: What Should We Do?

Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:02 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

It seems as though to many FlyerTalk members, the current state of frequent flier programs is worse than ever, as illustrated by one of many quotes posted recently in airline forums around FlyerTalk:
Originally Posted by msntriathlete
Each of these moves teaches me to put less and less stock in airline loyalty programs these days, and more into perhaps just bargain-hunting across all airlines. Perhaps we should just abandon the loyalty and elite games.
It may be a good time to revive this thread and ask again regarding the future of frequent flier programs: what should we do?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Travel is likely higher for me this year. I have a legitimate shot for at least mid-tier elite, if not higher. And I'm finding, the more I look at the options, the less it matters to me.

My priorities are IFE, domestic upgrades, domestic award redemption, and international award redemption, in that order.

For the places I fly (mostly small cities in the Northeast, sometimes Southeast/Midwest) my options are usually US, UA, and DL/NW.

If I take US, there's no IFE, the "upgrade" is fairly worthless, and I have high domestic award fees.

With UA, I get Channel 9 but I'm almost always going to be sitting in the back. And the fees, while lower, are still annoying.

Then there's DL... Maybe half the time I'll have IFE. I've got a good shot at sitting up front. But all the devaluation and benefit cutting leave me nervous of how next year's program will look. Finding it hard to trust DL management.

Gradually, I've begun to care less and less about the legacy frequent flyer programs. For transcons, I'm quickly approaching the point of resigning myself to a coach seat and picking whichever is cheaper, as long as there is an IFE system.

For shorter hops, I'm all VX and WN, whenever possible. Love the VX experience. WN awards are very useful for my travel patterns and the lack of change fees is great.

If DL really had taken the "best" of both airlines in the merger, they would have had a lock on my business. Now they are competing with UA and price will be a major determinant.

So, to your point, if one of the legacies tried to be significantly different from the others, rather than tacitly cooperating to lower the overall level of benefit, my loyalty is still available. WN gets a lot of my business already and they offer neither of my top two priorities, simply because it's so much easier to work with them.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Mar 24, 2009 at 9:57 pm
Old Mar 25, 2009, 2:31 pm

Being based in Europe, I deal with airlines farther along the curve in devaluing programs than those in the US. My response has been to fly price on intra-Europe travel, which often means LCC's. I still participate in ff programs for TATL and US domestic travel when I am in the states, and have never flown an LCC except on intra-Europe routes. Most of my intra-Europe travel is on LCC's. If the US-based legacies want to destroy their ff programs, then I'll do the same with my TATL and US domestic travel, and do my best to avoid the legacies.

The formation of a large membeship base in an associatioin of frequent flyers that influence people to move business might get some airlines attention, but I don't know that it would be worth the trouble to put together.

As to those airlines that want to shortchange on miles on cheaper tickets, I am a mixed fare flyer and always have been. Right now, business travel outweighs personal travel, and my business travel is out of higher priced buckets, while I try to get the best price I can on personal travel. But an airline that screws me on miles on my personal travel is going to lose my business travel, too.

I suspect as many airlines keep turning the screws, one will figure out that being a little more generous will way off big time in driving more business. I would suspect that airlines is most likely to be AA or CO, and least likely to be US or DL.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:03 pm

Delta Skymiles is by far the WORST. Customer service is AWEFUL, website award search is full of glitches that have been there for YEARS. Overall a waste of time, money and any other effort. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: AA, BA, SIA, UA, CO
For award on Delta's partner airlines, Delta really sucks.....
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:48 am

why

Originally Posted by idnani
Delta Skymiles is by far the WORST. Customer service is AWEFUL, website award search is full of glitches that have been there for YEARS. Overall a waste of time, money and any other effort. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!
Why did you revive a 8 year old thread that hasnt been posted to in 18 months to complain about delta?.....old threads like this should be left to rot, not dug up after they're burried. They should close and archive any thread over 2 years old without a topic that is continually relevant. This is one of my major peeves with FT all the outdated useless info still popping up on front pages.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: Legend in my own mind
Originally Posted by wise2u
Why did you revive a 8 year old thread that hasnt been posted to in 18 months to complain about delta?.....old threads like this should be left to rot, not dug up after they're burried. They should close and archive any thread over 2 years old without a topic that is continually relevant. This is one of my major peeves with FT all the outdated useless info still popping up on front pages.
It's a relevant topic. 8 years later, Delta still sucks!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by TN_Again
I love DELTA!!! Really I do!!!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by TN_Again
hahahahahah. In all seriousness, I haven't had problems redeeming for international J tickets. However, I am flexible with taking an open jaw flight 1.5 months apart.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by wise2u
here, I'll quote your quote and keep it alive!!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:17 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Actually, this topic is probably more relevant than ever. Here are three examples..

There seems to be a lot of fear and anger lately regarding frequent flier loyalty programs in the United States.

If so, is it justified?

What is the future of frequent flier loyalty programs, and what should we do?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:21 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Given the recent DL and UA devaluations I think it's time to work together!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.