Reload this Page >

AA to charge for FIRST checked in Bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to charge for FIRST checked in Bag

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 12:53 pm

This fee is not nearly as bad as DL's new $200+ surcharge on TATL award tickets ex-EU. I would MUCH rather deal with the AA baggage charge than DL's rip-off surcharge. I hate checking luggage anyway and try to fly with just a carry-on.
Old May 21, 2008, 12:57 pm

Location: Los Altos, CA -- UA 1P / Priority Club Platinum Ambassador / Hyatt GP Platinum / Avis Presidents Club
Stunningly bad idea

This is a stunningly bad idea. One of the news reports said AA execs believe passengers will pack less as a result of this. For the second checked bag I might buy this. For a first bag, no way. It will also unquestionably create security hassles and huge carry-on space issues.
Old May 21, 2008, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Incentive to become elite? Or disincentive?

If it doesn't apply to elites, that's great - for existing elites.

For Joe Sixpack who finds himself traveling a bit more than in the past and wants to earn elite status somewhere, though, is it going to be worth flying his first 25K miles carry-on only? Or will he just go with a different airline? I think I would, in that situation.

Of course, I almost always fly carry-on only as it is! I'm just going somewhere for a month, not moving there.
Old May 21, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by letterten
This first bag charge is disgusting. They could have saved all that money by not printing up all the misleading "Your first bag is FREE" BS signs. I'm AA Lifetime Gold and AA Corporate is going to get an earful on this one.
HOw can I get an address to write a hardcopy mail to AA corporate?

Just this sunday, flew back from SXM to wait 1 hour after landing for the luggage belt to start and then another 30 minutes to find they didn't even have my luggage and I got it two days later.

And now these fools want to charge us for the experience?
Old May 21, 2008, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by the phoenix
Just this sunday, flew back from SXM to wait 1 hour after landing for the luggage belt to start and then another 30 minutes to find they didn't even have my luggage and I got it two days later.
And now you know why I fly carry-on only.
Old May 21, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
As a user and stockholder in FedEx, I'm getting a kick out of these... ^

/.
Old May 21, 2008, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
I wonder which genius came up with this one? A dinosaur manager from the 80's or a junior accountant looking for a promotion who has never flown?

In addition to the crazy security lines, the impact on turnaround time and delay has to be significant. How many times have you left on time when there was a full flight with people looking for overhead space? Forcing everyone to carry on will require more gate-checking...oh I'm sorry sir, we ran out of overhead space, there's no room left in the closet either, let me gate check that for you. (Will that be 15$ too?) Maybe you can shove it in the galley, it's not being used for food/drinks or anything else either.

What's next, pay toilets?
Old May 21, 2008, 5:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mondo
What's next, pay toilets?
Quiet!!! Don't give them any more ideas!

Old May 21, 2008, 5:16 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Delayed check in also!

Have you ever tried to buy or change a ticket with the counter agent? Imagine what the check in lines will be like when everyone checking a bag has to come up with $15. This is each direction also, not round trip like the ticket price. I guess with practice the ticket agents will get faster, but I see nightmares ahead.
Old May 21, 2008, 5:20 pm
2mg

But which airline will be first to...

start charging for lap infants? I'm waiting. My guess is the airline could get an easy $25 out the kids sitting in mom's (or dad's) lap during the flight.
Old May 21, 2008, 5:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by wldtrvlr
I guess with practice the ticket agents will get faster, but I see nightmares ahead.
It's similar in nature to a manufacturer rebate: add costs for both consumer and producer in order to capture a benefit that is small compared to the costs incurred. Customers are smart enough to see that the exercise is a waste. They will eventually rebel. I predict that carriers will begin rescinding many of these junk fees starting a year or two from now.
Old May 21, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by CaveatEmpty
As a user and stockholder in FedEx, I'm getting a kick out of these... ^

/.
On my last trip to China I sent my suitcase with Fedex as I was rushing to a meeting and did not want to wait for it come out.
Old May 21, 2008, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
While this is big news for the industry, it' has a pretty clear home in the American Airlines forum. It's generally best to keep these sort of discussions from fragmenting. I'll close it here and suggest that people drop into the burgeoning thread over in AAdvantage on the subject.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.