Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Test Drive a Jaguar, Fly to Europe!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Test Drive a Jaguar, Fly to Europe!

Much to the probable annoyance of Jaguar dealerships across the US, I thought I’d bring a very good recent offer from British Airways to this broader audience. It’s certainly the easiest miles I’ve earned in 2003 thus far.

The offer: Test drive a Jaguar X-Type and receive 10,000 Executive Club miles. The promotion was apparently sent out to via e-mail to all North American Executive Club members on February 5, and was quickly posted in the British Airways forum by Pacha. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum15/HTML/003177.html

This was not a targeted promotion, so all North American Executive Club members should be eligible.

The step-by-step:

1. Sign up for a British Airways Executive Club account (if you don’t already have one). Here’s the link: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/enrol/public/en_us

2. Print out the Jaguar test-drive forms found at: http://www.keycast.com/keycast/jagua...a/frameset.htm

3. Find your nearest Jaguar dealer, forms completed except for the dealer info. Explain your intentions to the salesperson. This might save both of you some time and avoid the test drive, if you’re not in the market for a new X-Type. Some have been required to take a test drive before the dealer would complete the form. In other cases, this wasn’t necessary and the whole process took less than 5 minutes. YMMV.

4. Mail in the form and wait for your miles to post.

What can you do with 10,000 EC miles? Not too much, if you don’t already have EC miles or plan to be an active participant. However, a nice feature of the EC program may help. British Airways has provisions for “household” accounts, wherein accounts from up to 4 persons at the same address can share miles for claiming awards. The application for joining accounts can be found at: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us

Thus, the promotion can yield 40,000 miles for a single award in a single household if all are EC members who can take a test drive. And 40,000 miles is sufficient for a free ticket from the US to Europe, among other awards. Given another special offer in the same newsletter, 20,000 miles is currently enough for a free roundtrip in the states on Alaska Airlines. The miles will supposedly post 6-8 weeks after March 31, which would be some time between May 12 and 26.

Bottom line: Drive a jag, fly to Europe for free.

Let the FlyerTalk cycle of elation, abuse, worrying, gloating, paranoia, moralizing, pain, and pleasure begin!

[This message has been edited by Pudding Guy (edited 02-10-2003).]
Old Feb 10, 2003, 2:11 pm

I'm not in the market for a new Jaguar, and I'm only interested because of the miles -- but if you're going to the dealership anyway, how could you pass up the opportunity to drive it?

I'm definitely driving one to qualify - the dealership here in Tulsa is a few yards from a nearly deserted new freeway around the south side of the Tulsa metro area ... It's so wide and long and straight - and traffic is so sparse - it's kind of like a RACEWAY
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Already working on doing this twice.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:18 pm

10,000 miles will get you a r/t from the UK to cities in the UK, Ireland, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, France, Switzerland and even Luxembourg

https://www.britishairways.com/execc...s/zone12.shtml

Plus, I received 5,000 magic points when I enrolled in BAEC NA for being a "valued international business traveler." YMMV.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bpauker:
Already working on doing this twice.</font>
yeah, but don't you intend/propose to commit identity fraud in order to "do this twice"?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Went with my dad today to test drive X type. Each got 10k certificate filled out with no problems. I'll probably go to another dealuer and pretend to be my brother later on this week.</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">What if I open an EC NA account to get this bonus and then, in several months' time, move me EC Europe account back to the NA scheme? Can I combine the two in a household account? </font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Has anyone noticed whether or not they are logging or making any kind of record as to how many forms are filled out and by whom? </font>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum15/HTML/003177.html
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I only have one other household person to sign up! Perhaps my cat as well???

Thanks for the info!
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:52 pm

papa3 posted this promo (without the useful step-by-step guide or the household account information) in Buzz three days ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/008305.html

but that thread was locked to consolidate ongoing discussion in the BA forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum15/HTML/003177.html

Posting it here and spelling out the steps helps more people, IMHO, but it is always best to keep the moderators happy
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Yep, and I'm not making a secret out of it. If I lose the miles, it's no big deal. If I succeed, I get a couple of free trips.

But I did decide not to co-mingle my real account in Europe with this promotion.

[This message has been edited by bpauker (edited 02-10-2003).]
Old Feb 10, 2003, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood
Can BA miles be transfered to Hilton?
Old Feb 10, 2003, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by henwood:
Can BA miles be transfered to Hilton?</font>
Nope.

http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/rew...change_1.jhtml

But transfers can be done with Diners Club.

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited 02-10-2003).]
Old Feb 10, 2003, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey! Great deal! My local Jag dealer is only a couple of miles from my house.

I figured I'd enroll my wife and two daughters in EC and go for the full 40K. My RT on the Concorde is getting that much closer!

However: the drive-a-jag promo ends on Feb 25, and according to BA it may take 3-4 weeks to get EC numbers for the rest of the family. Can they take the drive now and fill in the numbers later?

Help!
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Adults can get EC numbers online, but if you want to enroll family members that are under-18, you have to complete the household form and then BA will assign them EC numbers. When I did this a while back, I put a note on the form, and someone from BA called me back with the new EC account numbers--and it was only a matter of days when they did so.

In any case, I don't think that you need to have the account numbers filled out at the time of the test drive. You should be able to fill them in later, and get the completed forms in the mail by 3/31.

On a related note, I suspect that Jaguar dealers might not allow test drives for persons under 18, though I didn't research this. Cats and fictional persons would also be questionable.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 1:11 pm

Thanks Guys,
My wife has always wanted to go to Ireland and we are much closer to being able to afford the flight to London than Ireland.

Question - Any bonuses currently for signing up for BA???
Old Feb 11, 2003, 1:40 pm

One more question...
Searched the BA forum but no luck..
it looks like it is better to sing up individually and then get the household account setup afterwards...
Old Feb 11, 2003, 1:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by caseynshan:
One more question...
Searched the BA forum but no luck..
it looks like it is better to sing up individually and then get the household account setup afterwards...
</font>
The only difference would be when you find out what the BA EC numbers are. If you set up the household account before you get individual BA accounts, then you will need to wait until BA processed your membership. The best thing would be to get each individual account set up online and then fax the form to BA to set up the household account. This way, you will know your number from the start.

However, if you let BA set up the household account and assign numbers at the same time, each account holder that did not sign up online will receive an offer for 1000 miles to update their email address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.