Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Test Drive a Jaguar, Fly to Europe!

Test Drive a Jaguar, Fly to Europe!

Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
Whoo-Hoo! All Jag miles posted!
Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:57 pm

Mine posted too... And when I called British Airways today to book a ticket using those miles, I was pleasantly surprised by their great customer service. I spoke with two people, and both provided first-rate customer service.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 6:40 pm

In fact you should have made more family accounts. Since BA now allows 7 household members per account starting July 1. Easy 70K.

Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:43 pm

Programs: Subway Punch Card / 8 subs collected to date!
bummed I missed this deal!!!
Old Jun 6, 2003, 7:08 am

Thanks Pudding Guy!!! Here's a question, though... I see that BA allows one to transfer the miles in their household account to toher programs that have household accounts. Does anyone know which other ff programs have these household accounts?
Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:00 pm

are these miles about to expire the end of this year?
Old Oct 10, 2004, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by jerry crump
are these miles about to expire the end of this year?
IIRC you need account activity every 3 years to keep miles from expiring. But you could just check the Executive Club website to be sure.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 6:11 pm

my memory was that you must log in to the executive club website and I don't remember my account/password. I also thought you have to have a flight not just activity last time I checked.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once you have an account with miles in it, the miles stay there for three years (or you use them ). Any activity during that three year period resets the clock for another three years.

The flight requirement was to keep an account open that was empty (IIRC).
Old Oct 10, 2004, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I also thought you have to have a flight not just activity last time I checked.
No, any activity is fine. I have sometimes bought trinkets from the onboard duty free for the specific purpose of keeping my BA account open.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:10 pm

My long term clock must be a little off. I figured somehow that the 3 years was about to expire but looking at the start of this thread it looks more like Feb 2006 might be 3 years from the offer.

I never fly ba what is the easiest way go get miles for extending the balance?, and does everyone in the household account need to earn miles to keep the individual accounts alive or just one to keep the household account alive?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:23 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to use the 10k miles for an intra Europe trip? Can I buy mile to top off the award?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I never fly ba what is the easiest way go get miles for extending the balance?
EC Dining is probably the easiest.

does everyone in the household account need to earn miles to keep the individual accounts alive or just one to keep the household account alive?
This is one I'd like to know as well.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 2:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by skywalk
Does anyone know if there is a way to use the 10k miles for an intra Europe trip? Can I buy mile to top off the award?
You can buy miles to top off awards. 10,000 miles is good for a one-way intra-Europe trip with a stopover on-route done from most Western European countries.

Nice to London AND then London to Stockholm for 10,000 miles is not a bad deal. Paris to Manchester and then Manchester to Copenhagen for the same is not a bad deal either.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 13, 2004 at 2:24 am
Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
time ticking, still no flight

I did this promo and recall figuring out how I would need 50k to fly to EU because looming changes would make this so. It did and some people who only got 40 now realized how and why the BA marketing worked on them: With 40k and 10k needed to fly, you had vested interest in shoring up the account, doing biz with BA and thus, making all of this worth their while.

But I had done 5 jag certs and thought I was ahead of the game by having just enough for the new 2003 requirements for a free ticket to Europe (remember when it was 40k on this and many airlines?)

Anyway, on countless planned trips overseas, whether on my own or with my wife, I have always flirted with the use of this award because we go to Holland to visit family often. Probably not gonna happen and here is why:

1) from BOS to LHR, 99.99999% of all "free" BA awards of this class will force me to leave at night from Logan and then get to London just after the last plane leaves for mainland Europe. All of this, of course, if you can even GET an award booking availability when you want to. NOT!

2) this requires a stayover in London which, although that might be nice if you are planning business or leisure there, is not something we have on the radar of travel money and timeframe planning in our rather busy lives.

Such a stayover has a significant cost to it, and if I lived in Holland, I'd be home now...

3) taxes for the flight to LHR are much higher than those of other airlines and we still aint in Holland! In fact, to get to Holland from England is about 1hr as the crow flies and frankly, he can do it a bit faster! I have been stuck in LHR for many a visit in my past and dont particularly like the place all that much. To have to be so close to our destination and yet so far is a bit of a pain.

Ok, so maybe we should just enjoy the place a while and see something we have not seen, thereby making it worth it.

Well, I would rather send a friend but you cannot without doing some tricky administrative tactics to make them part of the household award scheme this set of miles is all about.

I have thought of using the miles to fly here on some partner trip, but they take so much in loss that it is shameful. Sure, I could lose them all anyway, and if I dont act fast I very well may, but these are 50k miles that I wish I could trade in the CC for something more worth while for my current uses.

If anyone's got any fun ideas, let me know! Good promo, cost me nothing, but sort of a what I call an "award+mile tease" to me after all, I'd say. I mean, I suppose I might be able to utilize these for some EU fllights or something but I wasnt planning to spend the coin on a second flight to Europe if the trip was to be my wife and I flying together. We have limited time and the only times of the year I have really seen availabilty to travel based on our specific needs, it is almost cheaper to pay for a ticket. In any event, we often use our miles from other programs to fly direct or thru the one US city we are comfortable with connecting in on an airline we have status on. I fear that even if there is another year plus left on this account for me, I will never really use the BA 50k!

MM

Last edited by Marathon Man; Oct 13, 2004 at 3:44 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.