Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Test Drive a Jaguar, Fly to Europe!

Test Drive a Jaguar, Fly to Europe!

Old Feb 25, 2003, 9:27 am

Another great Flyertalk post. Thank you very much!!!

I was surprised how friendly and professional the salesman at Jaguar was. All went well, and I can really use these 10k on my BA account.

I agree with other posts that something like this really belongs into MilesBuzz!, even though in my case I read BA on a regular basis.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 9:32 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
As my dealer signed the coupon, he told me I didn't have to do the test drive. I told him that both my husband and I wanted to test drive the car. He signed both of them and we went for a nice little drive.

------------------
Ms.DtG
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:05 am
Ken

Programs: Delta Silver
The Atlanta dealership was painless yesterday.

They had to be postmarked no later than 3/31, not today, correct?
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileageAddict:
At all three dealerships that I visited, I asked if this was a popular promotion.

Amazingly, two of the dealerships said I was the only one who had brought in this offer and the third dealership said only one other person had brought a BA/Jaguar coupon in.

</font>
That's not what I was told. Both Manhattan in Rockville, MD and Laurel Jaguar in Laurel, MD told me that they had been overwhelmed by people with these forms. Both also said they hadn't sold a single car to anyone with the form.

According to the Laurel dealer today, they have signed 800-900 of them. I asked how many Jag dealers there are in NA and he said 138. If they signed an average number forms (850), then this promotion will total 1.17 BILLION miles!!! That's probably 2-3 times the total awarded from the LatinPass million mile promo.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 02-25-2003).]
Old Feb 25, 2003, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS, DL, UA, WN
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileageAddict:
At all three dealerships that I visited, I asked if this was a popular promotion.

Amazingly, two of the dealerships said I was the only one who had brought in this offer and the third dealership said only one other person had brought a BA/Jaguar coupon in.

</font>
I went to the Portland OR dealership yesterday with 3 friends. After the salesman signed the forms, (we didn't have to test drive the car), I asked if very many people had come to get the forms validated. He replied "too many". I then asked if very many had done the test drive. He said that a few had, and they might even get a sale or two.
Dan

[This message has been edited by da1dan (edited 02-25-2003).]
Old Feb 25, 2003, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I went to a dealer and he signed a form that I hadnt even filled out yet. So I went to a second one... It happened there too. My original intent was to fill in for me and maybe my wife if they allowed this. Apparantly they ...do!

But, now I wonder even further: Does it say anywhere on this thing that you cannot photocopy the thing and keep filling in other new people who never even went to a dealer?

I for one like the car and actually enjoyed test driving it (I was not asked to but I WANTED to--even after the form was signed by the dealer and given back to me without them ever copying it or knowing my name) and I may even buy one some day. I left there without solidifying anything, however, and thanked them for the great experience and professionalism but would not have considered any of it until going there because of all of this. I got to test two different cars at two different local dealers today, the last day of the promo.

But now I have this question about the possibility of having TONS of blanks that ARE signed and stamped...

Hmmm...

MM
Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:03 pm

Yes, that was a little too easy. But this morning, was sitting there looking at the form. Last day. Waning hours. A day to do things. And then, had a little breakfast and decided to go for it. Way out of my league, $39K car, but I did take if for a little drive around Portland with a nice gentleman who flew 127 sorties during the Gulf War. So, we talked about Gulf War II and I brought up how unfortunate it is that this car only gets 18/25 miles/per gallon.

Nuff said, great promotion, wish I had signed up others, but 10K is fine with me.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:14 pm

South Tulsa Jag dealers were very friendly, didn't mind signing it at all.

For my visit: "You know this is just British Airways, right?" the dealer said. He signed it, no problem.

My wife (7 1/2 months pregnant) went in to same dealership a week later. Even though she can't even fit behind the wheel, he signed it, no problem.

I get the sense that there wasn't much interest in this promotion here in Tulsa - Too bad, because AA is the big carrier here and BA has that partnership with AA. Plus, lots of oil industry execs around here travel frequently to Europe and the Mideast, so they could have used those miles.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:15 pm

South Tulsa Jag dealers were very friendly, didn't mind signing it at all.

For my visit: "You know this is just British Airways, right?" the dealer said. He signed it, no problem.

My wife (7 1/2 months pregnant) went in to same dealership a week later. Even though she can't even fit behind the wheel, he signed it, no problem

I get the sense that there wasn't much interest in this promotion here in Tulsa - Too bad, because AA is the big carrier here and BA has that partnership with AA. Plus, lots of oil industry execs around here travel frequently to Europe and the Mideast, so they could have used those miles.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:19 pm
Original Member

Just got it done under the wire. Salesman had no interest in taking me out for a test drive, in rush hour, with lots of snow around, when I told him I was probably going to keep my current car for at least another year. My wife (who I also convinced to go on the LP run) and I drove over, chatted, and were back in about 45 mins.

Since we used BA miles for two peak season AA tickets to the caribbean recently, this was a great deal.

Djlawman
Old Feb 26, 2003, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
seems as though one good thing that has come of this promo is that we all now see how nice and professional a jag dealer and their sales staff are! that is nice to know since I recently bought a used car... I had been in a dealer and gotten such run-arounds but then found that same car looking elsewhere and what a relief! I hate car sales people... but now, I like them if they are Jaguar ones! As i said above, I actually liked the car and might entertain one some day. The BA promo brought me in the door so in a way it was as effective as ever.

As for my above thoughts on blanks, etc,
I actually made the decision last night to NOT let myself go nuts with these things and filled them out and mailed them promptly. I had the one I used for me and the one used for my wife. If this kind of thing (copies of blanks) ever got bigger, it would maybe kill it and such deals for everybody and they already call me the bad guy in certain circles anyway. It's kinda like a kid in a candy store and I just became my own parent... 20 k is fince by me. I think my brother+S.O. did it in texas anyway and hey, maybe he used the same address...

MM
Old Feb 26, 2003, 8:52 am

My experience seemed to be the antithesis of everyone elses. I went to a Jaguar dealership in Brooklyn, NY and they were extremely nasty. When I gave them my certificate they demanded to see my BA Executive Club card. I told them that I didn't have it on me. They said that they couldn't fill the form out. I argued with them for about 10 minutes that I didn't have to have it and that my FF# was on the certificate. They said that they had to xerox both my drivers license and my BA FF card. After another 5 minutes it became clear to them that I wasn't going to leave without them signing my certificate - so the dealership manager came over and reluctantly signed my certificate and xeroxed my drivers license. I am afraid that the dealer put down a bogus "retailer code". The dealer put down a 4 digit (which to me seems a little short on numbers).

My questions are:
a) did any other dealership insist on copying both your drivers license AND your BA Executive Club card?

b) did the "Retailor Code" consist of a 4 digit number?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2003, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by neilsc:
a) did any other dealership insist on copying both your drivers license AND your BA Executive Club card?</font>
Nope. Neither one.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
b) did the "Retailor Code" consist of a 4 digit number?
</font>
Tysons Corner, Virginia dealer used a 4-digit number.

------------------
View from the Wing: A blog about Free Miles and Free Markets
Old Feb 26, 2003, 9:29 am
Original Member

No, my Jag dealer did not ask for either driver's license or BA card (although I had both with me). I had already filled out number on certificates for myself and my wife, who accompanied me.

Retailer Code: This was a 4 digit number.

Djlawman
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:00 am

Four-digit dealer code was marked on my form by the Tulsa Jag dealership.

Neither driver license nor BA Exec Club membership requested by them - they were great.

Maybe the nastiness is a New York thing

I'm with Marathon Man - I won't be buying or leasing the Jag, but I told a friend of mine about the sticker price and he is very interested.

He has no interest in any air miles, but he will probably visit the same dealership to look at the car, maybe test drive it, maybe even buy one - So if they get a sale out of that, it was word-of-mouth prompted by this promotion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.