Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Getting comped on the basis of being a LH Sen.

Old May 13, 03, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, LC Aur, Hyatt Dmd, Mar/SPG "Lifetime" Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd

Just wondering...have people been successful in getting into the elite level of other airline/hotel programs purely on the basis of being a LH Sen.?

Are there any current promotions you know of for this?

Or have you been successful by just calling the competing airline/the hotel chain and telling them you are a Sen. and perhaps what travel plans you have?

Thanks!
Old May 13, 03, 10:16 am

Hyatt does not com to ANY level. I politely inquired and they politely denied the request.
Old May 13, 03, 10:50 am
Patron

Your question is: Which FFP will match my top tier Miles & More status (= Senator)? . As flyertalk is such an enormous community, I had the impression that the "comp status question" was asked and answered several times in MilesBuzz!. And Bingo! - after doing a search - I found some threads over there.

If you have decided in which individual FFP you want comp status, you can also go directly to that particular forum and do a search and see what has been discussed before. You might find the answers you're looking for with no wait. If you are not satisfied, the folks who know the ins and outs of that FFP are likely to see the question and offer their help.

I'm going to move this question over to MilesBuzz! - in the hopes that you get the advice you seek!

Patron
LH TalkModerator

Old May 13, 03, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, LC Aur, Hyatt Dmd, Mar/SPG "Lifetime" Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd
Patron, I have searched MilesBuzz and could not find the answer to my question there. If you found it, could you be so kind and post a link? Thanks.

Regarding the forum...sigh...my question was directed particularly at Lufthansa Senators, and was dealing with the effects/"benefits" of being a Lufthansa Senator (so I would not consider it off-topic)...but anyway, thanks for closing and moving the thread, I hope some people will answer here, then.
Old May 13, 03, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Also, I searched several individual airline and hotel fora with regards to comping members of other programs; however, my question is more a general one as I am thinking about doing a RTW either on Oneworld or with the CO/NW/KL etc. alliance, and the question of whether I will be granted elite status from the beginning will be one of the factors that will weigh into my decision whether to go on Oneworld or CO/NW/KL.

So I am basically looking at a lot of airlines and also hotel programs and not only at one or two particular ones - one or two out of both different alliances and one or two hotel programs would be enough, but I am not set on any particular airline only.

I have already tried to contact some of those airlines myself and have received mixed responses. AA said they would only comp UA members. KLM said first they would not do it, but they would credit people for the last two months of flights they have done in their other elite program (which sounded really weird to me), after calling again, another agent said he never heard of any such thing (didn't even know about the big promo that I missed, unfortunately). With some other airlines, I will fax in my last LH statements and will wait and see what they decide.
Old May 13, 03, 11:54 am
Patron

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vasantn:
Do a search on "status match" on any of the airline boards here and you'll see literally hundreds of posts covering this topic.</font>
Anyway, I do the work for you and here we are:

Which airlines will match my AA Plat status?
Status comping
Widespread status comping
FFP Comps
Matching elite status
Comping strategy from DL
Delta offered Elite Match promo
Comp for Virgin Flying Club Silver

Old May 13, 03, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks...I had found all of these threads except one, I think, and they don't really answer my question as in how other programs react specifically to requests from LH Senators.

Since you are saying "I did the work for you": I didn't mean to cause you the work of looking for this, after you had implied that I should have done searches myself, I just asked since you said you had done the search already anyway and I had also done searches and could not find the answer to my question.
Old May 13, 03, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

And just because you have posted a quote from one of these threads, I would like to post the response that was given in that thread to that post:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GadgetFreak:
It is completely airline dependent. You can contact an airline you are interested in and ask. I contacted AA for instance and told them I was UA 1K and US CP. They said they would do nothing to comp based on US status but would match UA status, except, they would not comp to EXP. So they comped my UA 1K to AA Platinum. If you look around and call you will see others have very different poicies regarding what carriers they will match and at what levels.</font>
[This message has been edited by attorney28 (edited 05-13-2003).]
Old May 13, 03, 12:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
1) Airlines ff-program will (with very few exceptions, like KLM last year) only comp you to their second highest level (that would be Premier Executive with UA)
2) Airlines ff-programs will most likely only comp you once in your 'life-time' .
3) It is very unlike that any StarAlliance carrier will comp you (UA might still comp you, if you can make plausible, that you move to the USA and that you will do a lot of inner American flights in the very near future)

How about asking yourself airlines/frequent-flier-programs that you are really interested to get 'a' comped status and than report here how you did succeed? I am looking forward to your reports here.
Old May 13, 03, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
How about asking yourself airlines/frequent-flier-programs that you are really interested to get 'a' comped status and than report here how you did succeed? I am looking forward to your reports here.</font>
Thanks for the tips...regarding this question...that is exactly what I was planning to do - if you read a few posts above, I have started doing this already. It currently looks promising with BA and CO and perhaps even KLM (but no mileage "transfer" with any of these, I am so mad that I missed that KLM promo). However, in these cases, I will have to wait since they said they will "look at my particular case" and then let me know. I'll gladly post an update once I know more.

Old May 14, 03, 8:50 am
msn

Continental will, along with America West, do a card match. Pick up the phone and call them.
Old May 14, 03, 2:21 pm

okay , lawyer , enough is enough .

of your 300 plus posts so far , most have been regarding planning a rtw trip which so far appearantly has not taken place and the second most are about spending miles you so far do not have .

but starting a discussion about comp status matches at this stage , this is bloody it .

there have been quite a few "sim frequent flyers " on this board , but you get the cake !

why don't you suprise evrtbody by making your next message is a trip report .
Old May 14, 03, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I'll just add the standard word of caution here.

Status Comps are generally ONE TIME things.

I can pretty easily get a Platinum comp from AA with my 1K card, but why? I am not going to fly AA so such a waste. Same with DL probably. Why?

One day I might REALLY need to get instant status with them (i.e. if UA vanished!) and THAT is the year to wait and ask nicely.
Old May 14, 03, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sunseeker:

okay , lawyer , enough is enough .

of your 300 plus posts so far , most have been regarding planning a rtw trip which so far appearantly has not taken place and the second most are about spending miles you so far do not have .

but starting a discussion about comp status matches at this stage , this is bloody it .

there have been quite a few "sim frequent flyers " on this board , but you get the cake !

why don't you suprise evrtbody by making your next message is a trip report .
</font>

I only have about 350,000 miles in LH and a few ten thousand scattered over several other programs so far (it would be about 500,000, but I have spent some already, so it's true, that's nothing compared to some of the people here...

Started my first RTW from CAI a few weeks ago...

Will post trip reports as soon as I will have something interesting to report...
Old May 14, 03, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
I'll just add the standard word of caution here.

Status Comps are generally ONE TIME things.

I can pretty easily get a Platinum comp from AA with my 1K card, but why? I am not going to fly AA so such a waste. Same with DL probably. Why?

One day I might REALLY need to get instant status with them (i.e. if UA vanished!) and THAT is the year to wait and ask nicely.
</font>

Well, I am actually taking a timeout from work right now for a few months and that's why this will be the time for me to fly a lot for leisure - once I get back to work, I don't think I will have that much time - or at least I will not make the decisions where I will fly solely based on where I want to go. So, as crazy as it may sound (probably not to Flyertalkers, but to "normal" people ), I am already pondering whether I should do my second RTW in a few months on Oneworld or with the CO/KL/NW alliance when I haven't even gotten far in the first one yet. So, if I get instant status on CO, that might be an incentive to do the RTW on CO etc., if I get instant status on BA, it might be an incentive to do it there. I don't want the status just to "have it", I actually want to fly, I just want to get the bonus miles and the lounge access from the beginning...and since I have read that many people here got that kind of deal, I am thinking why not try it...nothing bad about that, I think...

Oh, and if they only comp once in a lifetime, it doesn't matter to me either, because when I will really need to fly a particular airline a lot in the future, status will come after a little while anyway, and they will surely not turn away my business just because they have comped me a few years earlier and I might not have flown as much as they expected.

So, it's all good (I think) .

Search this Thread