Wiki Posts
Search

Double dipping - can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Double dipping - can it be done?

Well, I know it can be done for non-flight account activity. Can it be done for flights though? Many airlines require you to send only a copy of a ticket receipt or a boarding pass(es) to get the credit, so why couldn't send copies to two different airlines? How is this policed or is it policed at all? Just curious. Thanks all!
Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, peon literally everywhere else!
What you describe is a violation of both the terms and intent of all airline FF programs I am aware of. Thus, in order to attempt this, one must be willing to set their ethics (if any)aside since you are proposing willfully breaking your agreement with the FF programs (perhaps not an issue for those already in H*ll).

That said, I know it can and has been done. How the airline partners catch this I don't know, but in the examples I know of (not my accounts) it has not been caught to my knowledge.

I would think that any "how to" on this topic would violate the TOS of Flyertalk itself since it is so blatantly against the rules.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:50 pm
Suspended

[This message has been edited by drtravels (edited 12-01-2002).]
Old Dec 1, 2002, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
You are absolutely right that it is usually against the rules. Some programs (not airlines, of course) have certain provisions whereby they will let you double or in some cases triple dip on the points. Obviously in those programs it is not a violation, but I know that would be considered such in the airline programs.

My curiosity about the forbidden sometimes leads me to places where one ought not go.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Hhilton legally lets you and in fact, advertises it!
In such cases, it is NOT illegal nor not a bad thing to discuss.

In fact, maybe, like me, the original poster is writing a book on miles follies! ha ha ha
In which case, just KNOWING about something should not be a bad thing to talk about, right?
Anyway, if the orig author of this post emails me, I have an idea or three to help you in your quest (legal or other)...

Old Dec 2, 2002, 6:20 am

Look out for the dark side, Luke.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 8:33 am

Programs: DL-MM,SW-CP,A-List Preferred
i was cought several years ago for sending car rental contracts to several airlines for miles. The consequences are not worth it. maybe once or twice a year but with my 60 plus rentals-no way! i am sorry for what i did.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 9:09 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I had this happen accidentally a couple years ago. I flew a trip on AA, and booked it on AA.com under my AAdvantage number to get the online booking bonus.

I was working toward status on AS at the time, and at each check-in I presented the AAgent with my AS card and asked to have the account number changed accordingly.

The segments posted to both accounts within a few weeks. I left it alone, as I didn't do it on purpose and didn't want the hassle of explaining it to the airlines and risking them not believing me.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 10:43 am
Suspended

Only time I think this may be " acceptable"
may be when your flight on airline A gets cancelled and you are then rebooked on airline B and ends up getting miles on both, whether intentional or not. Since I normally choose my original flight because of miles or some other economic/covenience reason I have no qualms about getting (or even requesting) miles from A as a minor compensation for the hassle.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 12-02-2002).]
Old Dec 2, 2002, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
actually, I forgot to mention a time it happened to me legally:

Flew America West last year in a multi-legged trip when they partnered with Continental.
Amer west was aweful and got stuck a lot in the whole trip.

We wrote letters to complain but not after finally being put on an AA flight to get home. I told CO and Amer West that I flew CO to GET miles with them and NOW I would not get these because they made me fly AA home, thereby losing out on earnings possibilities. I mentioned they should drop Amer West because they were aweful.

Co appologized and later DID drop Amer West (I always like to think it was because I asked them to-hee hee) and they credited me the miles eventhough I did not fly home with them or their partners.

AA credited me the miles too (since it was them who I flew on) and when I asked CO about this they said not to worry due to all the probs I had to suffer thru.

Fine! Got miles on both. I use AA anyway!
Got 3k on BOTH airlines for a return trip home cross country!

On that flight home, I convinced my friend to join AA and he did so on his cell phone the second the flight landed. The CS guy said this trip would credit since he was actually a member BEFORE the flight was completed! They even awarded him double miles because his method of joining made a great story inside AA's CS department! Now THAT's a double-dip!!!
Now my friend has 40k AA miles and he joined last feb. Not bad.

------------------
If speed is not your thing, distance may as well be. Enjoy and embrace it all!
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
My 1 miles worth...

I acutally tried to do something like this inadvertently about 4 years ago with United and Air Canada.

I had a UA trip booked under my AC FF# through my travel agent. I travelled the trip after handing in my MP card at the united check-in. The check-in agent did catch the difference in the numbers (the good 'ole days of United). I got back and noticed that I hadn't gotten it on my statement after a couple of months.

I called United and gave them the ticket # (the 016...). A week or so later I got an email that the flight was already creditted (it was on my AC plan). They are still stranded in my AC account.

Cheers.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:48 pm

I got miles on AS and UA a couple months ago - United's flight was going to be either seriously delayed or cancelled (they wouldn't decide until 15 minutes before flight time) and they suggested I take an Alaska flight. I asked if I would get United miles and they said yes - and then I got AS for actually flying on them.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 2:43 pm

Does the following work legally and in practice: some hotel reservation companies advertise that they give you 500 or 1,000 ff miles if you make the reservation through them. Through them select a Hilton hotel where you get HH points, plus airline 500 miles. I suppose it should be two different airlines.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 2:57 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by best:
Does the following work legally and in practice: some hotel reservation companies advertise that they give you 500 or 1,000 ff miles if you make the reservation through them. Through them select a Hilton hotel where you get HH points, plus airline 500 miles. I suppose it should be two different airlines.</font>
YES, this is OK because the res co is offering you the FF miles for making the res via them separate of what the hotel itself may give you.
OTOH, the hotel/ car rental co has offered you FF miles in ONE FF program of your choice, so it's wrong to milk them for multiple chunks.

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Dec 2, 2002, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Last year, I did SEA-PHX-SEA. I chose my AS FF no. for the outbound (to get 1st time web purchase, ITM booking and other bonus) and my AA no. for the inbound for the 20/20 promo. AS's ITM check-in allows you to choose which FFP you want to put each flight for. Both flights posted to the AS account despite what the BPs said.

I called up AS MP about it and a few days later, I got miles for both flights on both account.

Before that, there were a few legal and promoted double dips.

When QQ launched its FFP, you were allowed to double dip into that FFP and AAdvantage.

You could also legally double dip for US Shuttle flights in the US and AA FFPs in 2000.

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 12-02-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.