Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

17,500 onepass miles w/Chase

Old Aug 8, 07, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, IHG Spire, MR Gold

so is it that easy to open a checking account-10,000 miles and a bank card-5,000+2,500?

Get 10,000 bonus miles1 when you open the checking account.
Get another 7,500 bonus miles2 and earn 1 mile for every $1 in qualifying purchases3 with the Chase Continental Airlines Preferred Banking Card for a $65 annual fee per checking account or choose a lower annual fee option and earn 1 mile for every $2 in qualifying purchases3 with the Chase Continental Airlines Banking Card for a $25 annual fee per checking account.

Banker Instructions:
1) Customers opening a new Chase Free Checking account are eligible for 10,000 OnePass bonus miles.
2) Customer is eligible for an additional 5,000 bonus miles, plus the standard 2,500 mile offering when they elect to receive the Chase Continental Airlines Banking Card or Chase Continental Airlines Preferred Banking Card.
3) To award the bonus, enter the 16-digit coupon code and the customer's OnePass number into E-coupon and select all rewards that apply.
4) Be sure to provide the printed E-coupon receipt(s) to the customer.

Terms and Conditions

1Offer valid July 27 through December 31, 2007. Chase Free CheckingSM requires a $100 minimum opening deposit of new money (money not currently held by Chase or its affiliates) to qualify for the bonus miles. Chase Free Checking has no monthly service fee when you have a monthly direct deposit. Limit one personal checking account-related award/premium per customer, per calendar year. Offer not available on account conversions or in combination with any other offer. Bonus miles will be deposited in your OnePass account 6-10 weeks after account opening and after direct deposit has been established on your account. Checking account must remain open for a minimum of six months.

Account is subject to approval. The Chase Continental Airlines Preferred Banking Card has an annual fee of $65/$25 if you choose the lower fee option with the Chase Continental Airlines Banking Card.

2Bonus OnePass miles will be credited to the cardholder's OnePass account. Limit one 7,500 bonus miles per checking account. You can also add up to three additional cards for others on your joint checking account and pay no additional annual fees. Plus each new cardholder will receive 2,500 bonus OnePass miles. Please allow 6 to 10 weeks after your first qualifying purchase for bonus OnePass miles to post to your OnePass account.

3Qualifying purchases made with your Chase Continental Airlines Banking Card or Chase Continental Airlines Preferred Banking Card that earn miles include signature-authorized purchases, including phone and internet purchases. ATM transactions, cash transactions and purchases authorized with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) do not earn miles. See program Terms & Conditions for complete details on qualifying purchases.

http://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?p...&ID=0000007095
Old Aug 8, 07, 3:52 am

You need to bring the printout into your local Chase branch office to make this work. The 7500 bonus miles for the $65 card works out to a cost of less than 1 cent per mile which isn't bad. The only real sticking point is the direct deposit to keep the account fee free until you close it.
Old Aug 8, 07, 11:59 am

Programs: big pimpin'
Does one have to have direct deposit or not to recieve the initial 10k miles? If I am not mistaken, the additional 7,500 is available with either card, so $25 for 7,500 miles is a great deal.
Old Aug 9, 07, 1:46 pm

Programs: WN CP; Hilton Diamond; IHG Plat
I just completed this promotion from earlier this year and got the 17,500, no problem. I did the $25 debit card. I'm going to setup my wife with a similar account, and will close mine now that I have the points.

I did set up a Direct Deposit ($10) from my wife's work. In my opinion, from knowing company payroll systems, the bank receives the DD instructions imply as an ACH transfer. It doesn't know that's it's from a paycheck. If you were to transfer $$ over from another online banking account, such as ING direct, it would come over the same way, as a bank-to-bank ACH transfer. I think that would cover you on the "Direct Deposit".
Old Aug 9, 07, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IndigoEyes View Post
In my opinion, from knowing company payroll systems, the bank receives the DD instructions imply as an ACH transfer. It doesn't know that's it's from a paycheck. If you were to transfer $$ over from another online banking account, such as ING direct, it would come over the same way, as a bank-to-bank ACH transfer. I think that would cover you on the "Direct Deposit".
i'd love to have this verified.
Old Aug 9, 07, 5:39 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Here is my question. Why wouldnt you opent the checking account and then sign up for the CC seperatly? Right now they are offering 20,000 to celebrate 20 years.
Old Aug 9, 07, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by LynchMob View Post
Here is my question. Why wouldnt you opent the checking account and then sign up for the CC seperatly? Right now they are offering 20,000 to celebrate 20 years.
I think you are confusing the creditcard deal with bank card one.

OP is referring to the bank card deal from "upgrading" your ATM card to a mile-earning debit card after opening the checking account. Chase has been offering this to both CO & UA mile debit cards. For getting a credit card sign-up bonuses, you don't have to open any checking account with Chase.

Of course, if you pursue both upgraded debit card and credit card deals, you are entitled to both bonuses, since they are two different products.
Old Aug 10, 07, 12:03 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
The offer can be expanded to a total of 25,000 miles by adding 3 cards for others.

From T&C "Additional bonus miles when you add up to 3 cards for free for others on your joint checking account, with each new cardholder getting 2,500 bonus miles after their first qualifying purchase"

From Gary Leff's Blog

http://blogs.flyertalk.com//blogs/vi...s/continental/
Old Aug 10, 07, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, IHG Spire, MR Gold
open both a checking card, 10,000 + bank card, 7,500 + credit card, 20,000 = 37,500 miles for about $110 in annual fees
Old Aug 10, 07, 1:27 am

Post For Chase, ACH Equals to Direct Deposit

Originally Posted by IndigoEyes View Post
I did set up a Direct Deposit ($10) from my wife's work. In my opinion, from knowing company payroll systems, the bank receives the DD instructions imply as an ACH transfer. It doesn't know that's it's from a paycheck. If you were to transfer $$ over from another online banking account, such as ING direct, it would come over the same way, as a bank-to-bank ACH transfer. I think that would cover you on the "Direct Deposit".
I asked the teller once and confirmed this. Chase treats all ACH as Direct Deposit. I have been using Paypal to meet the direct deposit requirement without any problem.

I also read somewhere (FW maybe?) that US Bank (For NW Worldperks miles) promo does require payroll deposit to get the signup bonuses. That's the most strict I ever know.

Last edited by lin821; Aug 13, 07 at 6:50 am
Old Aug 11, 07, 9:35 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat
Help with locations for Chase, please!

I live in NC where we have no Chase branches. Looking at Chase's branch locator (worthless, IMHO), you have to already know the city and state a branch is in before it will tell you where they are!

Does anyone know which states and large cities Chase is in? From there I can find the branches. Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 07, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by gsmart View Post
Help with locations for Chase, please!

I live in NC where we have no Chase branches. ...
Does anyone know which states and large cities Chase is in?..
From what I know, Chase has more presence toward the east coast.

Wouldn't it be easier, just call them up and ask?

From their website:

To open a new account: Checking, Savings, CDs & ATM/Debit Cards

Representatives are available 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM,
local time, 7 days a week

1-877-68CHASE
(1-877-682-4273)
Old Aug 13, 07, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by lin821 View Post
From what I know, Chase has more presence toward the east coast.

Wouldn't it be easier, just call them up and ask?

From their website:

To open a new account: Checking, Savings, CDs & ATM/Debit Cards

Representatives are available 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM,
local time, 7 days a week

1-877-68CHASE
(1-877-682-4273)
I did call - no branches in California or Nevada. Closest is Arizona...

Too bad this offer can't be obtained by opening an account over the internet.
Old Aug 14, 07, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
I did call - no branches in California or Nevada. Closest is Arizona....
Maybe it's time to set up a mileage run toward the east? We have Chase in Texas also.

I believe you can take care of (almost) everything online except for the first step, opening the account. I know, it sucks. Plus no free checks and longer fund holding time.
Old Aug 16, 07, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Then there's the Chase/Southwest offer of two one-way tickets (16 RR credits) after first purchase on a new $59 card... Strictly speaking, the offer says it's for your first Southwest-affilated Chase card (it doesn't say you're ineligible if you already have any other kind of Chase card)...but there are not reports that this has been tested yet.

Search this Thread