Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

any free companion airfare promos to Malaysia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2002, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Location: SNA - UA 1K, DL Gold, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold

Hi,

I will be travelling from LAX to Kuala Lumpur on short notice. Anyone know of any companion fly free promos to Malaysia? I am leaving next week so with the short notice, the fare is likely going to be high which seems to be a requirement for these type of promos.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2002, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Do you have the AMEX plat card? Malaysia airlines participates, and they offer twofers in C and F!
Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:09 pm

AA has a special for 45,000 miles on Cathay pacific. Not a companion ticket but frequent flyer discount award.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Location: SNA - UA 1K, DL Gold, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
thanks for the advice.

I really do wish I had a amex Plat card. I have the Starwood card and a Corporate AMEX card but that's it. Would that work.

the discounted ticket would be a great option. I hope they have seats. My AA account is depleted. I do have BA miles and starpoints to convert - any ideas on how to expedite the transfer in case AA does have seats?

If there are other options, let me know. very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:22 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ttdoan:
[B]thanks for the advice.

I really do wish I had a amex Plat card. I have the Starwood card and a Corporate AMEX card but that's it. Would that work.

B]</font>
Unfortunately no. The 2for1 is available only from the Platinum Card.

Old Sep 6, 2002, 3:28 pm

excuse me, where did you get the idea that you would have to pay top dollar?

Unless you are going business class, it's $747 or below. The $747 is without miles on malaysian airlines http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/access_asia.html

and if you have 7 days, there are several ways to do in with miles to either singapore or bangkok and getting a flight to KL for that or the same

[This message has been edited by MrAOK (edited 09-06-2002).]
Old Sep 6, 2002, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Actually, if you look LA Times weekend Travel section or LA Weekly, you will get many last minute cheap ticket to Kaula Lumpur. Condolidated ticket can go as cheap as $600.00 since it's low season now.

Northwest also has a promotion to travel to Singapore. It's only $428.00 from LAX and you can probally get a ticket from Singapore to Malaysia for less than $200.00
Old Sep 6, 2002, 9:08 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Great deal from NYC
Buy one and your companion flies for just $50.

A $50.00 companion ticket to Asia? It's true. Just purchase a roundtrip full-fare adult Business Class ticket with your American Express Card for travel from New York to Hong Kong, Bangkok, Denpasar (Bali), Manila or Singapore. Fly Cathay Pacific and, go ahead, bring a friend.

It is only from NYC and in Business...
but it is a weird option.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the replies.

when I checked with my travel agent, non-ref coach was running at $1700. I did have specific time constraints so we were somewhat limited - most of the flights that met my requirements were close to sold out! Additionally, I am flying to one of the smaller airports (MYY) so that further limited the pool of avail flights - i.e.. they only have 1-2 flights/day from each of the connection points. I also checked orbitz and the tickets were at $2200 - $4400 range.

Perhaps the sub-$800 tickets were more restrictive as far as schedule?

Anyways, I called AMEX and applied for the Platinum card. They can rush it to me by Tuesday and I will be getting a business ticket thru them (+ the free companion). Glad we won't have to spend the 20+ hours in coach!

Thanks for all your advice!
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:11 pm

Hey if you have any american miles, american and cathay again are running that 45,000 mile special to asia and it includes Kuala Lumpur and Bali

[This message has been edited by MrAOK (edited 09-06-2002).]
Old Sep 7, 2002, 5:32 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
But as pointed out in another thread, it might be better to just pay for the ticket (and earn miles) rather than using 45000 miles for an award seat in coach. Personally, I wouldn't use miles for transpac flights in Y.

[This message has been edited by bp888 (edited 09-07-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.