Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

How about changing the rules for earning miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How about changing the rules for earning miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2002, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
For all I care, USAir can now reduce its capacity to 0, and preferably via Chapter 7 so that such an unfortunate experiment can never rise from the dead again. They are worthless to me and I will never fly them. If USAir wants only full fare passengers, they can turn those lovely Dash-8s into corporate aircraft.

Whether they offer 2000 flights a day or 1 flight a day, my butt will never be in one of their seats, regardless of the fare I'm on while they have this rule.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FT wannabe:
One thing that most people on FlyerTalk overlooked is what is coming next? I have to say reduced capacity. Who knows how small USAir need to be in order to survive. When the supply meet demand, that'll be the time tix price will rise.</font>
Old Aug 27, 2002, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FT wannabe:
One thing that most people on FlyerTalk overlooked is what is coming next? I have to say reduced capacity. Who knows how small USAir need to be in order to survive. When the supply meet demand, that'll be the time tix price will rise.</font>
Thats the dumbest things I've heard all day....

Thinking that US can raise prices when it's future supply decreases to less than the current demand, assumes (incorrectly) that they have the only supply, and there is price inflexability of demand, neither is true. They will reduce capacity and increase price and lower demand because we will be flying other airlines.

Bye
Old Aug 27, 2002, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Um, Mr. Math Genius,

Southwest awards flight credits not miles. It is possible to earn a free trip every 3-4 round trips (help me out here folks, I don't fly WN) regardless of fare paid on those 3-4 trips. One can then use that free trip for a flight that is potentially more expensive than the sum of the three-four cheap trips.

I don't know why you feel the need to beat this thing to death, but you're going to get zero support from the folks here on your unfounded and short-sighted (and caluclated) assumptions. Why not just get over it and get on with your life?

Anyway, the main reason why SWA and JetBlue are profitable is due to the lower cost structure. Many factors contribute to the cost - and surprise enough FFP is actually one of them. Nobody can award double miles (and above) for sub $200 C-C RT. Not even SWA..</font>
Old Aug 27, 2002, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
I just got onto this site recently, and enjoy it. Don't even respond to someone like FT Wannabe - he is just trying to incite you, and seems to be successful.

Don't fly him, and he'll go out of business.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest:
Don't even respond to someone like FT Wannabe - he is just trying to incite you, and seems to be successful.
</font>
At this point I am convinced that FT Wana works for either US or UA and is trying to make a good show of this to avoid FT generating bad press for them, as such he must be countered fully. Look at his first post in this thread, he comes from nowhere and fully predicts a week in advance exactly what kind of changes would occur. It was an attempt to "get us ready" for the anouncement. Well guess what, it didn't work.... nor will it.

Old Aug 27, 2002, 9:32 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If $15000 were to spend on 75 $200 C-C RT, then USAir might have said "Screw them, we can't profit from these people anyway."
</font>
But US can profit from a $200 fare. So do your heros at SW and so forth.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Since with the 75 RT, you will earn 750,000 (2x bonus, 2x 2500 distance) miles along with your flights.</font>
Where does 2,500 miles come from? Most of US' traffic is short haul east coast stuff...

But at any rate 75 trips probably only bag me 150,000 miles -- not 750,000. Maybe 250,000 if the bonus environment is "rich".

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">750000 means a lot of free seats promised in the future, and potentially lost revenue.</font>
Perhaps you've missed it -- US' load factor is around 75% -- paying customers are not being displaced by "free trips." No revenue is "lost" when someone redeems an award.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">One thing that most people on FlyerTalk overlooked is what is coming next? I have to say reduced capacity. Who knows how small USAir need to be in order to survive. When the supply meet demand, that'll be the time tix price will rise.</font>
There you go again advocating a rise in ticket prices -- I thought your interest was in attractive fares?

Ticket prices are on a one way road -- and it isn't higher. The sooner the majors come to terms with that and rationalize their fare structures and start focusing on the value that customers expect in exchange for their money the sooner they'll become profitable. They'll discover that business travelers are not the same as leisure travelers (even when they're traveling on leisure) and that policies designed to treat business travelers like leisure travelers won't work.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:29 pm

Location: Here, there, and everywhere. Hip, hip, so hip to be square.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TomBascom:
Ticket prices are on a one way road -- and it isn't higher. The sooner the majors come to terms with that and rationalize their fare structures and start focusing on the value that customers expect in exchange for their money the sooner they'll become profitable. </font>
Right, and wrong.

Ticket prices are going higher. For leisure travelers used to $200 trans-cons, that is. There won't be enough capacity left in 12 months' time to support those sorts of fares.

But at the same time, there's no way airlines can justify, or people will support, paying $2,000 for that trip in coach. The majors might like to think so, but with hateful policies towards their elites such as US is trying to introduce, is anyone going to be able to justify flying them vs. WN or J6?

What I think we'll see instead will be a compression of fare buckets, potentially into 3 or 4 instead of the 15+ we see now. Grandma and Grandpa will be paying $400 instead of $200 to fly SFO-MIA, while the last-minute traveler will pay $800 or $1,000 instead of $2,000 to fly the same route.

At least, that's what airlines will have to do if they hope to stay in business. Or they can follow US's route, and fly non-stop to Hell, with a short layover in Chap. 7.

Mook
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:36 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mook:
Right, and wrong.

Ticket prices are going higher. For leisure travelers used to $200 trans-cons, that is. There won't be enough capacity left in 12 months' time to support those sorts of fares.
</font>
We'll see. I wouldn't bet on that though -- SW just cut their top fare. I agree with most of the rest of what you said except I think you're too high... The spread won't be that wide when it's all over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.