Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

2 long stays in EU, base SEA, help needed

Old Feb 14, 07, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G

I'm gonna ask for some real advice here, because there is so much knowledge, and I can't seem to figure out descent strategies on this one...
My girlfriend is going to stay in france(NCE) for the summer ~may15-~aug15 and norway(BGO) from ~sep15-~dec20.
Given the long stays, the low fares are generally unavailable and summer period doesn't help much.
She doesn't mind 18 connections for that sake or some train riding, I have educated her in MRing already
She has ~6000 YTD EQM on OnePass and ~3000 on MileagePlus. No status in either. No specific travel patterns, only the occasional getaway.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 14, 07, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by sjefenole View Post
I'm gonna ask for some real advice here, because there is so much knowledge, and I can't seem to figure out descent strategies on this one...
My girlfriend is going to stay in france(NCE) for the summer ~may15-~aug15 and norway(BGO) from ~sep15-~dec20.
Given the long stays, the low fares are generally unavailable and summer period doesn't help much.
She doesn't mind 18 connections for that sake or some train riding, I have educated her in MRing already
She has ~6000 YTD EQM on OnePass and ~3000 on MileagePlus. No status in either. No specific travel patterns, only the occasional getaway.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I know you're seeking cheap airfares and I can't help on that. But here's a potential problem you might warn your girlfriend about.

France and the other EU countries, plus a few non-EU countries including Norway, are parties to the Schenegen Agreement. This agreement states that a US citizen can only stay in all of the Schenegen countries combined for 90 days out of any 180 day period. Going to a non-Schenegen country does not start a new 90 day period. Now some will note that there are not a lot of people running around enforcing this rule, and for all I know, that may be correct but she should be made aware of this rule anyway.
Old Feb 14, 07, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
She is getting a visa for both countries. One for working and one for studying.
Old Feb 15, 07, 7:50 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
you could try to nest the tickets, as the inner one is only a month appart.

Also for the european part there may be more than enough lcc.

perhaps there is one airline where two one ways work that far appart

I tried ita but it does get timed out with that request

It may actually be cheaper to buy miles and get your girlfriend those two one way flights at the end of it and use a nested flight in the middle.

Get on the phone with your favorite airline and let them do some searching - i find that most call center lines are actually helpful and the more complicated your problem is the more worth is the invested time in them.

Search this Thread