FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 long stays in EU, base SEA, help needed
Old Feb 14, 2007, 6:36 pm
Mountain Trader

Originally Posted by sjefenole
I'm gonna ask for some real advice here, because there is so much knowledge, and I can't seem to figure out descent strategies on this one...
My girlfriend is going to stay in france(NCE) for the summer ~may15-~aug15 and norway(BGO) from ~sep15-~dec20.
Given the long stays, the low fares are generally unavailable and summer period doesn't help much.
She doesn't mind 18 connections for that sake or some train riding, I have educated her in MRing already
She has ~6000 YTD EQM on OnePass and ~3000 on MileagePlus. No status in either. No specific travel patterns, only the occasional getaway.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I know you're seeking cheap airfares and I can't help on that. But here's a potential problem you might warn your girlfriend about.

France and the other EU countries, plus a few non-EU countries including Norway, are parties to the Schenegen Agreement. This agreement states that a US citizen can only stay in all of the Schenegen countries combined for 90 days out of any 180 day period. Going to a non-Schenegen country does not start a new 90 day period. Now some will note that there are not a lot of people running around enforcing this rule, and for all I know, that may be correct but she should be made aware of this rule anyway.