Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

American Express-Membership Rewards or Starwood?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express-Membership Rewards or Starwood?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
You all are playing with snakes. Why not just use a debit card with and intrest bearing checking account and buy the miles so you don't have to worry about getting bitten by the snakes.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by AvalancheZ71
You all are playing with snakes. Why not just use a debit card with and intrest bearing checking account and buy the miles so you don't have to worry about getting bitten by the snakes.

Uhm, I think you are missing what I do - interest bearing checking account, better interest bearing Credit Union account, SPG Amex, Pay off at the end of the month
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by heathriel
Exactly - I've gotten more than 30,000 bonus points this year on my MR Rewards Gold card due to earnings promos, and my annual fee is $130. So, I've come out $170 ahead on that in addition to the points I've earned, AND there are transfer promos throughout the year as well.

It all depends on what you need, when you need it.
Are there any links to these promos?

I have a Gold Card, yet no promos?

Thx
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Because I can have an interest-bearing checking account anyhow, earn a month or so of interest on my money instead of having it come out of the checking account right away, and get miles in the bargain. No downside. The snakes worry me less than being attacked by a bear while hiking.

The debit-card-versus-credit-card debate is a bit off-topic here, since the OP specifically asked for opinions about one specific credit card versus another, but from what I've seen people who use debit cards mostly need the enforced discipline of immediate deduction for one reason or another - usually, to avoid finance charges on a credit card. I pay on time, so I don't have them.

(I'm talking about using debit cards where a credit card would do equally well - not about using debit cards to get cash back at a supermarket instead of making a trip to an ATM, or other situations where credit cards don't work.)
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:46 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Usually discussed in the American Express Membership Rewards section. See this thread for the current offer:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513763

Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
Are there any links to these promos?

I have a Gold Card, yet no promos?

Thx
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by singlemalt
Not so fast. I've posted this before, so my apologies if this is old news.

Last year, I believe the green and gold MR Amex cards had six months of double points promotions. Supposedly they were targeted, but I was always able to sign up. We're in the middle of a two-month promo right now.

Under these promos, you can get 4 HH points/$CC for any kind of spending. If you wait for the annual 3:2 MR-> Starpoint promo, you end up with 1.33 Starpoints/$CC. No other credit card can top that. Is the annual fee worth the extra points? The math is pretty simple - in my case it's a definite "yes".

I only use my green MR card during such a promotion; for the rest of the time, my Starwood Amex is my primary card.
True. If Amex will guarantee that I'd have 6 months per year, every year, of double points, then I'd say YES - I'll take it and pay the extra annual fee.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We do it because the snakes pay us very, very well. Over the course of the years, they've payed me thousands of dollars to play their little games - mostly in the form of frequent-flyer miles (in the hundreds of thousands) but also in the form of good old fashioned free money.

IMHO, YMMV, on a scale from "sucks" to "does not suck", free money does not suck. I think I posted this on another thread, but right now Juniper Bank - an outfit I hadn't heard of a year ago - is giddily spewing forth juicy goodness for all who are willing to accept it.

Of course, there are millions of people out there who don't know how to play the game well, which is why the snakes are so eager to let us do it.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Over 60 SPG additional cardholders and counting...

SPG Amex beats Membership Rewards hands down for generic use.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Which CC debate-

I am very impressed with all of the info. this forum has provided me!! I am definitly getting the starwood card & truely appreciate everyones input.

thank you----------Christine
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I have been using an AMEX Gold Rewards card, but recently acquired a Starwood AMEX for my main use, thanks to all the good advice on Flyer Talk!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mia
1. Personal cards enrolled in Membership Rewards offer double points for so-called "Everyday spending", such as supermarkets, pharmacies, gasoline, postage and cellular phone. One card also offers 1.5 points for purchases from MR transfer partners, including Starwood. This means you actually earn more points using Gold Rewards Plus than if you pay with Starwood's own card which offers a straight one point for one dollar.
I was looking at the rewards plus gold card and saw this disclaimer here:

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...1,16934,00.asp

Borrow up to 10,000 points a year for airline, hotel, retail, or vacation package rewards.

As long as you are a Rewards Plus Gold Card member in good standing, you may borrow points twice each year when you transfer Membership Rewards points to a frequent flyer/guest account or redeem points for vacation packages or Unique Experiences. There is no time constraint placed on earning back the points advanced. However, American Express reserves the right to charge your account $.02 per outstanding point should you cancel your Card and/or Membership Rewards account. Other terms and conditions apply.
What do they mean by "borrow?" Does this mean you can't really transfer your points to any FF program? Because that would REALLY suck. Sure, you could redeem your points for Gift Cards at other major national retailers etc., but I'm sure a lot of people are in this MR program to transfer points to miles.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1P
are there any offers for starwood signup now ?/
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:37 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Borrowing simply means that American Express will advance points against future purchases so that you can redeem an award before you have earned the full amount required ^ . You pay them back by using the card, not by returning the points from the transfer partner.

Originally Posted by Threepw00d
I was looking at the rewards plus gold card and saw this disclaimer here:

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...1,16934,00.asp

What do they mean by "borrow?" Does this mean you can't really transfer your points to any FF program? Because that would REALLY suck. Sure, you could redeem your points for Gift Cards at other major national retailers etc., but I'm sure a lot of people are in this MR program to transfer points to miles.

Last edited by mia; Feb 8, 2006 at 12:24 pm
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:44 pm
mia

If by "generic use" you mean categories other than supermarket, pharmacy, gasoline, USPS and cellphone and travel providers other than Membership Rewards' 14 airline and 4 hotel chain partners, I almost agree. The better deal for the first $60,000 per household of generic spending would be The Knot and The Nest credit cards. They carry no annual fee, earn 1 MR point per dollar, plus a 10,000 point bonus for $15,000 calendar year spend, effectively 1.6 points per dollar. (Caveat: these cards participate in Membership Rewards Options, a program with a 2:1 airline transfer rate unless linked to a regular Membership Rewards card.) However, with 60+ cardholders the SPG card would be simpler because you don't have to worry about using the "right" card for a specific purchase.

dennis

Originally Posted by 925

SPG Amex beats Membership Rewards hands down for generic use.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:42 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
The SPG card is a "credit" card and the AmEx Platinum with MR is a "charge" card. My guess is that I would not get nearly as high of a credit limit with the SPG card as I apparently now have with the AmEx platinum (AmEx never tells you what your limit is with the Platinum but based on past experience it is very high for me).

Would this tip the scales toward AmEx Platinum and MR even if I don't consider the lounge access benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.