Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Status Match Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott, US Airways
Marriott vs Others?

I'm a Platinum Marriott member and haven't had the best experiences. I rarely seem to get upgraded. I got my points through a combination of stays 40 nights and credit card usage.

I'm thinking about switching to Hyatt or Starwood and am willing to open a credit card with them.

I know Starwood has a platinum challenge but it's 18 nights in 3 months, is there a better way to get there? And does Platinum matter at Starwood?

Does Hilton have a challenge, does having high status help there?

Thanks

Chris
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by chayler
I'm a Platinum Marriott member and haven't had the best experiences. I rarely seem to get upgraded. I got my points through a combination of stays 40 nights and credit card usage.

I'm thinking about switching to Hyatt or Starwood and am willing to open a credit card with them.

I know Starwood has a platinum challenge but it's 18 nights in 3 months, is there a better way to get there? And does Platinum matter at Starwood?

Does Hilton have a challenge, does having high status help there?

Thanks

Chris

Hilton has a challenge, but you have to request a tier status match in writing to get it (and they may or may not offer it).

Simply email the request along with a copy of your MR Plat. card and your request. Make sure to include your hhonors account # also.

As for SPG, Plat. does make a big difference. Many people tout their service. However, IMO I think they have terrible service for Gold members. In fact, they don't seem to recognize you even as a member (or barely, if ever).

Therefore, I have no intention of ever giving them more business if they don't earn it along the way. They lost my respect with other business with them as well. So I may not be a good one to ask about that.

Diamond at hilton can be great! But, I don't think you can expect an upgrade every stay at any chain (including Hilton).

However, at Marriott, are you talking about not getting upgrades at fullservice hotels or someplace like the CY and others?

I find the respect from Marriott to be quite good. Especially if you have an issue and have to call in to change or get something fixed.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott, US Airways
I have yet to get upgraded to a suite or put on the executive level. I don't expect it at a courtyard, but I've stayed at JW, Ren and Marriott's and had no help.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by chayler
I have yet to get upgraded to a suite or put on the executive level. I don't expect it at a courtyard, but I've stayed at JW, Ren and Marriott's and had no help.
Sounds to me like luck of the draw in that case.

Some people ask for upgrades and others don't. Personally, I've never had much luck by asking, but many here on FT report success this way.

I can't say I get upgrades each and everytime; but when staying at FS Marriott's is probably 50/50. I don't stay at FS MR's during most work travel, but do sometimes (probably 25% of the time).

Even when not placed on the exec. floor you should still be receiving access to the lounge.

I sent you a PM as well.

BTW, welcome to FT.^
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Danpod
Just qualified for Hilton Diamond Status. I sent off my paperwork for a comp to SPG Platinum a few minutes ago. I'll update this when I get a response.
Do you have a sample you could send of the letter you wrote to request?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by eric30fnp
Do you have a sample you could send of the letter you wrote to request?
IIRC SPG does a Plat challenge but not a comp. Look in the SPG forum for more info.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:46 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
After a little back and forth with Club Carlson they wouldn't status match me to Gold based on my SPG Gold status but they DID based on my Hilton Gold status. That seems so backwards considering you can easily get Hilton Gold. Anyways, best part is that it is good through February 2015!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
I had good success matching Starwood Platinum --> Hyatt Diamond using a Diamond Status Challenge.

I started with 30 stay/38 nights in 2013 with Starwood and sent this screenshot to [email protected]:

They came back and within 24 hours I was Diamond status was showing on my Hyatt profile.

Full details here: Weekend Blitz -- Hyatt Diamond Status Challenge
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
I had good success matching Starwood Platinum --> Hyatt Diamond using a Diamond Status Challenge..............[/B]
Congrats!! Enjoy the new status with Hyatt!!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:57 am

Hoping against hope for matches to Club Carlson Concierge (currently gold, but hoping for breakfast benefit) and Choice Diamond (currently no status, 1 previous match). Feeling a sudden urge to 'collect them all' prior to some upcoming extended travel and already have top tier HH/HGP/IHG/Accor + Ritz gold.

So has anyone been able to successfully match to the top tier with either Carlson or Choice?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by mster
Hoping against hope for matches to Club Carlson Concierge (currently gold, but hoping for breakfast benefit) and Choice Diamond (currently no status, 1 previous match). Feeling a sudden urge to 'collect them all' prior to some upcoming extended travel and already have top tier HH/HGP/IHG/Accor + Ritz gold.

So has anyone been able to successfully match to the top tier with either Carlson or Choice?
I, too would love a match from Hyatt Diamond/SPG Platinum to Club Carlson Concierge. Did you try it? I doubt they'll bite but am curious if you were successful.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:40 pm

Bumping to see if anyone has had any luck matching from any program --> Club Carlson Concierge...?

Thanks,
Jeffrey
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Bumping to see if anyone has had any luck matching from any program --> Club Carlson Concierge...?

Thanks,
Jeffrey
I don't think anyone gets Concierge via status match. That has to be earned.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:52 pm

Any way to keep Marriott status if it is currently set to expire next year? I plan on spending more there next year?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:05 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by the4aces
Any way to keep Marriott status if it is currently set to expire next year? I plan on spending more there next year?
I'd wait and call after expiration date to Marriott Rewards and see what kind of offer/challenge they have for you. They usually ask you to stay 9 nights in 3 months to get Platinum again. If you call now, they will tell you to have 20 nights in the next 3 months to maintain Platinum. YMMV!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.