Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll: Are you a hoarder or a user?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Which describes you?
I "hoard" my miles and points for later day use.
70.62%
I "use" my miles and points for instant gratification.
29.38%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Are you a hoarder or a user?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH Silver
Mostly a user

International upgrades seem like the best deal to me...

Besides, who knows if I'll have to switch airlines or stop flying as much one day...
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I usually burn as fast as I can. This year I've been saving up for a RTW award. I should have the miles in a couple of months and then I'll be back down to 0 again.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: Brown medallion
I save some ~50k miles for emergency or unplanned vacation, and use up the rest.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 9:06 am

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
I am both

When the company pays for the ticket, I use miles to upgrade.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
I'm hoarding until I collect enough for 2 FC RT to Europe. Almost there!
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Hoarder.

My bank account is rather skinny. So I like to pretend I measure wealth in frequent flyer points.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:44 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Lightbulb Turned User/Burner by a select group of programs

Hoarder user here 60% Hoard 40% Use.
I accelerated using after programs started shooting themselves in the foot
I have exited a number of programs and started hoarding in others.
Hopefully history won't repeat itself
I couldn't stand the pain of watching my collection of millions devalue into a pumpkin

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 4, 2005 at 4:47 pm
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Smile

I was a hoarder for 10 years and am now a user since I retired. Rather than using 30,000 miles to Mexico and enjoying four free flights, I use 15,000 miles and up to $250 off the fare and have stretched it to eight flights. I use my Alaska Platinum card to book the fare and receive double miles.

"When life hands you limes, make margaritas".
Old Jun 4, 2005, 6:07 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 100k, HGVC, Hyatt VC
Hoarder, sort of. Currently have over 800,000 on UA. But they go fast when I bring my family with me...
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:17 pm

Programs: NWA gold, frequent stayer at friends' and relatives' houses
I have intentions to hoard - and then I use them

I have been thinking that I would hoard enough miles so that I could go rulebuster anywhere in the world business class if I wanted. However, I keep booking FC flights on Alaska and that uses them up. I will probably be flying family up to see me soon as well. So, I have about 100,000 - not enough for that international rulebuster in the premium cabin.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jailer
Have you used more points and miles than are presently accrued in your accounts?
Yes, in absolute terms, I have spent more than 50% of the points that I have earned over the years. The process depends on the vendor:

American: Earned 1.3MM, spent 500k on F tickets for my parents to Europe to travel twice with me, spent 150k on Y->J upgrades to Europe for myself, spent 35k on a colleague to fly back to Jamaica when he found out that his grandmother suffered a stroke, have about 625k left. Total includes about 40k of USAir miles earned when they partnered with BA and spent when they partnered with AA. This is my vacation fund now that my work travel has dropped and leisure travel to make EXP/1K is not feasible.
United: Earned about 500k, spent about 300k on Y-J upgrades to Europe for myself when I used to travel on business as a 1P, transferred 60k to Hilton, spent 40k on domestic Y travel, have about 70k left.
Southwest: Earn about one ticket every 10 months, give it to friends or relatives for travel.
Northwest: Earned 42k when I lived in Boston, filled up to 50k with Sprint miles. Spent 25k on an emergency trip for my aunt when a relative of hers was gravely ill, balance is just over 25k for another emergency.
Hilton: Transferred in 120k from UA and spent it immediately on a GLON. Earned about another 600k, spend whenever my balance gets above 300k, balance currently at 290k.
Starwood: Earned 80k over last 18 months between stays and AMEX. Hoarding, hoarding, hoarding...
Old Jun 5, 2005, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
bajacondo, let me be the first to welcome you to Flyertalk, J-man
Old Jun 5, 2005, 11:57 am

Definetly not a hoarder, even though my wife and I have a combined 1 million miles in account. Use miles almost solely for across the pond business class awards to Norway for selves and family, over 600,000 last year and have booked 400,000 this year. Domestic tickets are so far a poor value due to low domestic prices where so far we get upgraded as Platinums most of the time. Have used 45,000 CO miles for Thanksgiving FC (coach not available except a 50,000 miles) where ticket is $450.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:19 pm

Talking I'm a recovering hoarder...

...I'm finally using my accumulated miles for trips and vacations. The first redemption felt like pulling my own teeth out...but it got easier later on...
Old Jun 5, 2005, 1:56 pm
mpg

I was a hoarder for 3 years. Now I use them up as soon as I have enough for international travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.