Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll: Are you a hoarder or a user?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Which describes you?
I "hoard" my miles and points for later day use.
70.62%
I "use" my miles and points for instant gratification.
29.38%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Are you a hoarder or a user?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 10:49 pm

I was a hoarder until I lost 450K in the ansett collapse(had actually orderered flights but they had not sent the tickets as they usualy sent them a month before travel!

Now I usually dump miles once a year for whoever needs it.
or use for urgent expensive flights

or when Crappy Qantas change their programmes
Old May 31, 2005, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT (1MM); SPG GLD
Burner all the way.

My family accounts have probably redeemed upwards of 500K on UA (currently have ~100K in our accounts) and 375K on AA (current balance ~325K).
Old May 31, 2005, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
I wouldn't say that I was a hoarder, but more of a saver for a rainy day. Well, now I don't fly as much for work, so I am slightly using more FF miles/hotel points than I earn. I'd say I've been burning about 300k miles/points per year.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:36 pm
Original Member

Burning

Burning as many as possible these days. Went FC to Florida a few months ago (2 of us), going FC to Alaska in July (4 of us). Sent daughter to Calif., Had a lot of miles just getting devalued. That coincided with a new austerity enforced by the Princeton tuition office, and concern about the long-term viability of some of the airlines. So, time to burn.

Have burned most of the US, still have lots of Delta and AA, as well as about 200,000 GlobalPass miles from the Run.

Larger amounts in the bank with the hotel programs, in SPG, Hilton and Marriott.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:48 am

using them

I went from a hoarder to a user.

As many have said, the value of my air miles hasn't been increasing but I have done well increasing my allotment here at FT.

I keep a bundle for emergencies as 35,000 miles is better than $ 1700 for a ER ticket which unfortunately I have used my share of and in reality will use a few more times in the near future (I have a terminal parent). Then the miles are priceless when I can get that last minute ticket for free or $75.

I am hoarding hotel miles still they seem to being holding more value for me. I ordered a GLON with the old HH criteria use before the rise to 175 K.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:10 am

Programs: HHonors Gold VIP,QP Gold, PC Platinum, pleb everthing else
Burner

When Qantas slaughtered their program I booked MEL-DPS x 2 and MEL-SIN-LHR-CDG using 320,000 points. Also booked 2 Hilton GLONP2 using 300,000 points for those trips, all in two weeks.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:38 am

Programs: LH Sen; US Silver; AA Silver; Hilton Gold
Hoarder- then Blow it all!

I'm a hoarder, and a selfish one at that. I'd rather buy friends and family a ticket (and do often, for certain work-challenged family members) than use my miles. I save them up until I have enough for 3 F tickets to some international longhaul destination, and then blow them all on a fabulous F experience with the wife & kid. Have done it for LAX-LIS, CLT-BKK and more. Next year: ZRH-JNB.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
A user here. Never had more than 100k banked in any account. Always interesting to see the graphs on MileTracker.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm generally a hoarder but I'm trying to wean myself of the habit.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Randy just added a "real" poll feature, so now y'all call really vote.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
I've hoarded 500k in AA, 325k in UA, and 440k in Delta for future family of 5 trips. Over past five years I've used 260k in DL, 125k AA, and 120 CO for tickets.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:38 pm

Programs: NW World Perks (Silver) 250K, Delta SkyMiles 50K, USAir Dividend Miles 40K
I have always been a "horder", but all this talk about Northwest's future and other airlines makes me think about changing that.

Could things really be that bad?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz Gold, Marriott Gold
Hoarding. and when that's done, maybe some more hoard to go.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by yanxfann
User.

Although since the late 1980's I've earned the better part of 3 million miles I've never spent more than 35K miles on any one award as all of my redemptions are for coach "saver" type free roundtrips either within the 48 states (typically 25K miles) or to/from Hawaii (35K miles). As soon as my balances reach these mileage thresholds I typically make an immediate redemption to zero out the account.

PS: Not one single mile of my 3 million has been used for an upgrade - I know some FTers cringe at the thought of the indignity of having to sit in the back of the bus but burning miles for upgrades is a total waste in my book
I'm sort of the same mindset although I haven't been as fortunate getting saver awards on UA for 35k. I get it about 75% of the time and then I have to use the standard awards since there are no saver awards available. I've burned around a million or so but still have almost a million left. And I never use them for upgrades especially since UA now has E+ seating, it ain't so bad sitting in the back of the bus.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jailer
Have you used more points and miles than are presently accrued in your accounts?
By this standard, I am a hoarder. I managed to get a huge pile of miles in 2001 when Continental was allowing multiple promotions to be stacked (I was routinely getting 80K miles for $400 trips to Europe). By a "point flow" standard, I am a user since I have used more miles than I have earned each of the last 2 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.