Reload this Page >

Airlines can charge obese pax for 2 seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines can charge obese pax for 2 seats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2000, 9:36 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Last August CNN wrote about a possible policy by Continental, anybody heard any more about it?

"Continental mulls policy changes for large fliers"
http://www.cnn.com/2000/TRAVEL/VIEWS.../30/index.html
Old Dec 26, 2000, 10:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Braslvr, Thanks for your comments. In my post I indicated that it was some time ago (I would guess 3 years). Now I am a much more frequent flier and know how coveted these aisle seats are.

I still don't think that asking in a kind way is impolite. Maybe foolish in retrospect and in light of your comments. His behaviour is what was rude!

Now, can anyone answer my original question of how to best deal with the situation of when another pax is in your space? Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2001, 7:55 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems this is not likely to be getting any better- and more likely to be getting worse!

High-fat diets, too little exercise and couch-potato culture are contributing to new levels of obesity in young children, British doctors warned on Friday.

Their research, published in the British Medical Journal, found an increasing trend in obesity from 1989-1998 and showed that more children in Britain under four years old are overweight or obese now than ever before.

``A quarter of children at the age of three or four are obese,'' Professor Peter Bundred, of the University of Liverpool, told Reuters.
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/healt...th-obesit.html
Old Feb 8, 2001, 8:16 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Doc, could you please stop dragging up this thread. The link has nothing to do with flying. As someone who is fat, I hate this thread. I do not appreciate it being dug up for no reason.
Old Feb 8, 2001, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Take all your arguments about space, seat, person, PC, handicap, etc and make it fit into this situation.

There is ONE seat left of the plane. The customer will not fit in that seat. Would you require the airline to have someone get off?

Or, there are two seats left (luck has it they are together). There are three passengers standing there waiting to get on. All on on the same fare class. Does the airline put the TWO people on, or the ONE person?
Old Feb 9, 2001, 4:48 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quite honestly, Cigarman, having met you, I'd actually never thought that - but please accept my apologies to whatever extent you find the post inappropriate or offensive!
Old Feb 9, 2001, 6:21 am

All I can say is IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!...

I mean give me a break people... Grab some guts, and realize you have a weight problem, and that you may be inconveniencing others because your body hangs half way in the seat beside you...

It is none of my business what you weigh, BUT its becomes my business when I am not able to sit in my seat because you are taking up your seat, AND mine too!!

Off topic but Americans are looking for the miracle cure to loose weight, and still be able to sit on their a$$, and hoard themselves with Big Macs, Bon Bons, and Big Bean Buritos
Old Feb 9, 2001, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Supersize that please!
Old Feb 9, 2001, 8:27 am

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
My point was Doc, that by bringing it up I would be treated to responses like delraychris's. It gets old have the same debate with people who think overeating is always the case of obesity. Let's leave this one alone. Please.
Old Feb 9, 2001, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Some people have compassion and empathy for others, and accomodate them in the knowledge that they may need the same from someone else one day. And others will point to a rulebook and scowl, or gloat, or just act childishly and ignorantly, witness some of the posts in this thread. Intellect and career success are not indicative of character.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited 02-09-2001).]
Old Feb 9, 2001, 9:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

As an overweight person (not so overweight as where any airline would remotely consider charging me for more than 1 seat), I acknowledge that my weight problem has much to do with my personal choices about diet and exercise.

I would caution people that jumping to conclusions, however, about the cause of someone's weight is unfair and dangerous. Some people have different metabolisms than others- this is not an excuse for anyone, but simply a fact. One with a hyperactive thyroid has a faster metablosim than one with a hypoactive thyroid. This makes it harder for some people to maintain a healthy weight than it does others.

The level of anger reflected in DelrayChris's post was reflective of, I believe, his own insecurity. This is unfortunate.
Old Feb 9, 2001, 9:31 am

Programs: AA 3MM
In addition to the population getting more overweight, we are also (generation by generation) getting taller....(better nutrition, healthcare etc)

Can someone tell me why then the airlines think we are all getting thinner and shorter ?

If you doubt me consider that when AA switched on the MIA/LHR route from the (old seating config) MD11 to the new whuzzy 777, they cut 3" off the coach seat pitch (to a scrimpy 31-32")

For the record, I am 6' 3", 36" inside leg (that's long, even for 6' 3" tall) and 200lbs, so I dont' spill into anyone else's seat but I am astonishingly cramped on long hauls when the person in front reclines their seat onto my knees...but that's another thread

Old Feb 9, 2001, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta DM
I don't know how Boeing, Airbus, etc.. decided on the "average size perosn." But, I do know that I wasn't consulted IMHO a lot of the blame falls on seating design. I realize the airlines need too make a buck, but most frequent travelers I know have a hard time fitting into a coach seat. Figure anyone has the right to sit in the seat next to me, but that doesn't mean I don't cringe when someone comes down the aisle with a seat belt extension in their hand.

-Kevbeau
Old Feb 9, 2001, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta DM
I don't know how Boeing, Airbus, etc.. decided on the "average size perosn." But, I do know that I wasn't consulted IMHO a lot of the blame falls on seating design. I realize the airlines need too make a buck, but most frequent travelers I know have a hard time fitting into a coach seat. Figure anyone has the right to sit in the seat next to me, but that doesn't mean I don't cringe when someone comes down the aisle with a seat belt extension in their hand.

-Kevbeau
Old Feb 9, 2001, 2:30 pm

I am very conscious of not wanting to intrude into the personal space of other passengers. I DO buy 2 seats together when I can't get an upgraded seat. I DO speak with the reservations agent and/or gate agent about steps to minimize any discomfort for other passengers.

Only the smallest of people truly find a coach seat comfortable, so something does need to be done to make coach seats wider. The airlines can also help by making the aisle side armrests on all seats raisable, creating more space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.