Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Carry-on baggage. Time to do SOMETHING???

Carry-on baggage. Time to do SOMETHING???

Old Nov 25, 2000, 12:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
when you plan to ski ONE day in Whistler (today!) and your checked-in ski-boots didn't make it, you/I will take them aboard next time for pretty sure. I hate renting ski/boots - my personal ones are made to measurement (foamed) and I just loose half a day of skiing.
Old Nov 25, 2000, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those of us who live and travel in a cold climate, the issue of carry on luggage takes on a new meaning in winter. Bulky winter coats and accountrements take up precious space in overhead bins. I for one check my garment bag during the winter season. I'm tired of fighting for space. I consider this the price of living in snow covered regions. Come on summer.
Old Nov 26, 2000, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I agree with stricter enforcement of carry-on rules. And (although this is no doubt unenforceable) I think that anyone who brings on more than one carry-on should have to put one bag under the seat in front of them. i.e. only one bag goes into the overhead.

I recently watched one jerk go up and down the aisle, opening every bin, trying to find a place for his second carry-on. His larger one had already been stowed. The FA told him to put his second, smaller bag under the seat in front of him. He refused, and kept trying to force it into the already-full bins.

I could see that the space under the seat in front of him was empty; he was just being a jerk. Everyone else was ready to go. He was of average build, so had no obvious need for extra leg room.

It made me wish that the small, female FA was armed with a cattle prod to make El Jerko do what she told him to do. ARGH!!!

Well now I've had my little tantrum.
Old Nov 26, 2000, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood
I agree with enforcing the carry-on limits, but think that DL needs to be careful and not cross the line from rule enforcement to attacking the customers. Here are two stories:L

(1) I have a small Tumi rolling case that I've used for years. It fits in the DL "Size Wise" case with no problem.

About 2 years or so ago, DL went through a brief period (at least in ATL) of super-strict observence to the Size Wise limits. I was running late for a DL flight in ATL, and boarded during general boarding, instead of FC (I had an upgrade). As I gave my boarding pass to the GA, she told me that I couldn't take my bag on board, as it was too large. I protested that I had travelled with it for many flights, but she insisted I gate check it. I did so, but was unhappy, and let it show in my facial expression. When I boarded, I noted several other rolling cases on board, one the same model as mine, and two larger, all fitting comfortably in the overhead bins.

I vowed that if this happened to me just one more time, I would sternly complain in writing. Ulimately, it seems that DL backed off on their search for oversize bags - I never had it happen again.

(2) I was on a DL MD-88 flight from ATL to YUL, seated in the right-hand bulkhead row. A late-boarding FC passenger did not have room for his roll-on bag in the overhead bins. One of the FAs went off on a tirade about how there would be plenty of room if FC passengers would stow one bag underneath the seat in front of them. She then grabbed a briefcase from a bin and asked "Who's is this?". It was mine, and I said so. She saw I was in a bulkhead seat, so put the bag back, but continued her tirade. At this point, the other FC passengers were alienated by her, and taunted her (one in particular was going on about how other airlines make the FAs stow their luggage elsewhere, and if DL did this there'd be room in the front). It was a surreal scene. The FA spent the duration of the flight hiding in the kitchen and griping about the FC passengers, most of whom could hear her.
Old Nov 26, 2000, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Simply Good Service

TW

[This message has been edited by Tolarian Wind (edited 11-26-2000).]
Old Nov 26, 2000, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The US carry on situation has gotten ridiculous and needs to be controlled.

On the other hand European carriers have a retarded sence of baggage overall. Anal retentive carriers such as SR have tried to make me check in a carry on when I had a small carry on and a loptop bag arguing that I had "2 pieces" even on an empty flight.

Both SR and AF have tried to charge me overweight for having 22-24 kilos of checked baggage.

The most ridiculous was when SR tried to charge me for overweight between Zurich and Tokyo for having 35 kilos of check in luggage on a full $6000 J ticket! I had the person in charge disciplined for this!

Basically European airlines have had no concept of customer service or realities.
Old Nov 26, 2000, 4:33 pm
Suspended

I think the current size standard is fine but I have a problem with the 5(?) kilo weight some carriers enforce.

BA made me check my "correct" size bag due to weight, destroyed it on the way to Istanbul and then didn't have any personnel to handle the complaint.

If it fits and I can carry it then allow it.

DR
Old Nov 26, 2000, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
If it fits and I can carry it then allow it.
Hope I am never on a flight full of weight lifters! There MUST be a weight rule, c'mon. Just because some cretin stuffs a carry on full on carpenter tools weighing 60-70 pounds above my head doesn't mean he should be allowed to surely?

If that tool bag fell on YOUR head due to turbulence, your view may change?!

btw Qantas is pushing for TEN POUND weight limit for carry ons. (4 kg to be precise).

I feel that is the silly end of the scale, but United's 50 pound permissable is at the other silly end.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Nov 26, 2000, 4:49 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
I always try to carry my bag with me.. generally two smaller bags that meet size requirements. I do this because I'm tired of having handles and wheels broken off (It was happening about one out of three times). A year or so ago I had one bag- well within the requirements- and the FA grabbed it from me as I boarded, because "the plane is full." I objected that my medications were in that bag. "Then you'll have to standby for another flight," she replied. I gave up the bad... and did not see it again for three days. So although I try to avoid carrying a lot on, I have a great deal of understanding for the reasons people do so on US carriers.
Old Nov 26, 2000, 7:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Slightly off the subject, but the real unsafe situation is when someone puts their laptop or other heavy small item on top of a roller case or other item in the overhead. If the bin opens in turbulence or on landing, the laptop will come flying out like a missle. Can't these small items be stored under the seat in front? Do they take that much legroom?

Old Nov 26, 2000, 8:45 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
i actually saw a boom box came flying down the overhead cabin, dropped onto a passenger's head, and he bled... that was scary, what if it were a baby it dropped onto? (whose liability would that be?)

Old Nov 26, 2000, 11:35 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
joe_s, Don't take any grief from the FA with their 3 pieces of luggage plus a purse,plus a coat...all in our bins. Even when they deadhead home, do they check THEIR BAGS? Yeah right. Stand your ground and tell them the airlines rule. If they want to discuss it...fantastic. I need a supervisor and more free stuff from the airline. I realize that this obviously is not always practical, or advised. However, I get so frustrated with the personel NOT KNOWING THEIR OWN RULES. Like I don't care about the "one carryon bag" sign. As an elite I get 2. AND in FC and Elite I can have 3 if I'm in the mood.
As for safety, and bins popping open. Safety is an illusion on airlines. It's all about feeling good. Here are some thoughts on safety...
1)do you think the terrorist is going to admit he didn't pack his own bag?
2)How about if the bomb has been with him the whole time?
3) What do you think the average IQ of the, minimum wage, rent a cops at the metal detectors is?
4)If airlines cared...would they allow lap babies? People bounce off the celing several times a year. In that case baby's going flying. You don't have the physical strength to hold them.
5)Would they apply for permission to make the exit rows NARROWER?
6)Would they get an exception for a model of planes so it could have LESS exits?
7)Would they fly with illegal items in the cargo hold? again...and again...and again.
8)If the tuberlance is strong enough to bounce open the bin... Wouldn't the GLASSES in FC be dangerous projectiles???? What about those metal knives?? I find flying shapened bits of metal ofensive... What about the drink cart. Those suckers gotta hurt when they fly on you. And scalding hot coffee from the bozo next to you. That's it,lets serve a dangerous beverage... AND well i'm sure that stuff in the bins too.
9)where are the parachutes? Only the military gets them?
10)Why aren't there enough life rafts for every passanger? Havent you seen Titanic?
11)My seat cushion is a floatation device? AND ketchup is a vegetable!
12)Airbags? NO. AIRSICKNESS BAGS, YES
13)Shoulder belt seatbelts...
14)Inert gas in the fuel tanks instead of Oxygen?
15)Flight attendants with REAL SAFETY TRAINING...yeah right. How about liscensed paramedics?
16)Pilots not working 14 hours a day? A tired pilot is a safe pilot...yeah right. They fall asleep in the cockpit.
17)Serving alchol to crazy people... good move. That won't cause air rage.
18) 300 pound pigs in the FC cabin...
19) Labour wares with the guy fixing the plane...
20) Changing the minimun number of engines for flights over the ocean to 2, instead of three.
21) Using 30 year old computer technology for the FAA.
22) Using 30 year old planes to transport me! The 8 track tape player is newer than a 727!!!
23) Flying too many flights into overcrowed airports.
AND number 24...
SERVING TRI COLOUR PASTA (okay I couldn't resist).
Old Nov 27, 2000, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
My the Cohibas WERE good'uns today! Funny post.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Nov 27, 2000, 6:37 am
Suspended

Glen -

Wouldn't a 60 pound bag of tools have less of a chance sliding/falling out the overhead as compared to a 20 pound bag of duty free alcohol? A friction thing you know.

DR
Old Nov 27, 2000, 11:02 am

I know that the newer planes have increased overhead bin storage space but the older planes, especially the old MD-80/DC-9's have very small bins. It would be a good idea for the Airlines to re-fit the older planes with newer and larger bins. And as has been posted before, enforce the carry on rules.

What really gets me are the pax who feel that they are entitled to put two carry-ons above and not use the seat space in front of them. I see this all the time with biz pax who put their roll-ons and laptop in the overhead even as the flight attendant is telling them to please be considerate of other pax and utilize the seat space.

[This message has been edited by toadman (edited 11-27-2000).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.