Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Carry-on baggage. Time to do SOMETHING???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on baggage. Time to do SOMETHING???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2000, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I had Qantas tell me today a medium size carry on, like a fat briefcase on a quiick daytrip was too large and needed to be checked. No suit bag. But checked it needed to be. Wait until the Aust/Europe rules hit the USA!

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Nov 30, 2000, 2:17 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...L/002100.html. I started this thread after a "funny" experience in July, 2000.

------------------
Bob
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.
Old Nov 30, 2000, 2:32 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/002100.html
Old Nov 30, 2000, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great link Doc and AZ-Mizman (- you added a period to the original link, so it did not work btw!).

With his permission I hope, posted below is one amusing anecodote posted there by Mister Internet:

My favorites are the passengers who insist on hauling on board all manner of odd-shaped baggage and try to cram (and I mean CRAM... you've all seen these people) them into an overhead bin while 200 other pax are waiting to get to their aisle behind them...

I was once on a UA Sh*ttle ("different class of service, lower class of people") flight, and a guy kept repeatedly trying to pull someone else's laptop out to make room for his bag and then try to reposition it FACE-OUT and cram the door shut! Well, the FA watching warned him that that would not be allowed, since the laptop would surely fall out onto whoever opened the door after him. H said OK, and sat down with his bag... after the FA left, he got up again and proceeded with the aforementioned attempt... well, passengers were still trying to board and now people were getting testy with him... the FA heard the rumbling and came back and demanded that the guy sit down and wait for everyone to board... well, he said something smart to her and sat down. About 30 seconds after the plane was boarded, he gets up again (before the plane started pushing back) and repeats the same procedure... a FA came storming down the aisle to inform him that if he didn't take his seat immediately, he would be thrown off the plane for disobeying crewmember instructions... he then shot back with "I have a right to put my bag up here, I paid $500 for this ticket!" Immediately someone about five rows behind him said, "I thought you were just ACTING like an ignorant a**hole, but if you paid $500 for a Shuttle ticket, you really ARE an ignorant a**hole" Everybody on the plane laughed, and we didn't hear another word out of him the rest of the flight...

------------------
"Welcome to Mister Internet's Neighborhood..."

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 11-30-2000).]
Old Dec 1, 2000, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
The December issue of Flying (page 75) describes a low-tech Russian solution to the checked and carry-on baggage problem. On the Ilyushin-86, which could carry up to 350 pax, the pax entered through airstair doors on the lower level of the plane, put their baggage on the shelves on that level, then walked up interior stairs to get to their seats. On their way out they reclaimed their baggage from the shelves. SO everything was carry-on, but if you wanted it in the cabin then you had to lug it across the ramp and up two flights of stairs.
Old Dec 2, 2000, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
I really don't know what to make of my recent experience over Thanksgiving here WRT my carryons. I checked one rolley-cart and was
carrying on an essentail empty satchel and
camera bag containing laptop and accessories
(It's a small laptop) onto a GRE Embraer.
I had not problems getting onto my outbound
puddlejump ORD->LAN, but on the way back the
FA at the foot of the stairs insisted that I could only carry one piece on.
I thought for a second, put the laptop bag in the satchel and then walked up the stairs.
She looked confused for half a second and
then shrugged her shoulders.

It was all just as much stuff, but I was at least hewing to the letter of the law in her eyes I suppose.

JD
Old Dec 2, 2000, 10:13 pm

I see both sides of this issue, but I cannot help commenting on the overwhelming arguement that I truly support:

I agree, overhead space is not for oversized bags...or for that matter, heavy bags that would seriously do damage to a fellow passenger or FA. HOWEVER...I do have some serious reservations about checking my valuables and my notebook computer just happens to be one of those valuables.

If I had to abide by a 4lb rule as Qantas is thinking about instituting, I would boycott their airline! My notebook computer weighs 7 pounds and I bring it on board every flight. I could not imagine having to check my computer through to my destination.

Personally, I have been the victim of several crimes over the past ten years. All of them were committed by ground personnel of a major airline. My bags have been plundered through and I have lost electronic equipment, a brand new suit, expensive shoes and several thousand dollars of my personal belongings.

My compensation was very poor by the offending airlines and to further my humiliation, I was forced to feel like a victim many times over when I had to experience the poor claim process. Furthermore, I received very little in compensation even after saving and recording my receipts.

People, say and believe what you may, but you might change your mind about this issue once you become a victim and lose your expensive clothes or equipment.

Would you want to check a $4500 computer today? Would you do it after you watched the 60 Minutes or ABC 20/20 episodes which have exposed these crimes over and over again?

Like all of you, I have very little tolerance for people who disrupt flights and make it difficult for those of us who consider that cramped Super 80 our second office.

Another fact in this matter is that it is not good to continue to keep saying "no" to your customers. I know that many of you do not really care for AA. Personally, I think they are on the right track. They are reversing the "no" attitude of the industry by giving us some additional leg room and with their new announcement of roomier overhead bins, I am truly impressed with their positive steps of customer service (now if they can only work on the food a little bit).

I apologize for this long letter, but this issue certainly has hit a sensitive spot with me.

I am still packing as lightly as possible, but my computer and electronic equipment is my job and my financial life. I cannot trust my valuable equipment to any stranger, any more. I have learned my lesson and one more very important thing:

If I lost my vehicle to make an income, I could not afford to fly anymore...Remember, we are still spending our hard earned money for a product and a service when we travel, the least the companies could do is treat us like the customers we are. They are in business because of us...Lord help them if the economy turns downward again, they will need us worse than ever! Now is the time to give us the service and the attention that we are paying those big bucks for!

Bob Linderman

P.S. My problems were not with American Airlines...in fact, a few years ago, after my belongings were stolen at ORD, I switched to AA and have been a Platinum since.
Old Dec 2, 2000, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Credit Cards ;)
Hi all,

Great Message Board. I just signed up for my Frequenta miles and will be starting my AA Gold Challenge on the 16th. .

My question is what is considered "legal"
carry-on size around the world? I've just bought a new roller + tote. The roller is 22" x 14" x 9" and the tote is 16" x 10" x 7".

-Andrew
Old Dec 2, 2000, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
My experience recently:

I had a large checked bag - and was travelling First Class on Singapore. Checking in at Sydney - even though my luggage limit was 40kg, the Qantas (Handling Agent) rep would not allow a 31kg bag as they cannot accept bags over 30kg.

This is not on my ticket, nor in the SQ timetable but - again - Qantas is making up the rules for itself - and other airlines it appears.

I removed a book and then she accepted it.

Of course, when checking in at SIN for the way home, the book was back in bag and there was no problem! It even came off the belt at LHR about second!
Old Jan 9, 2001, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"The Law Is An ..."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/004441.html

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Jan 9, 2001, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
If the airlines did not misdirect, damage, fold, spindle, mutilate and/or lose luggage, people would be more inclined to check it. Period.

In fairness, a lot of luggage arrives ontime and sometimes even undamaged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.